Death metal - why?

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by akkyy21, Jan 6, 2006.

1. akkyy21

akkyy21 #%@!$&

I am not a death metal fan, nor do i think i would be in a 100 years.
    Though I dont have any grudges of sort with ppl who like it, I fail to understand the motive/strength/urge (whtevr u may say) that makes one actually like death metal.

I mean c'mon, am a simple man, n music for me has allways been something that can cheer me up or make me feel nice/comfy about something. Or say, some power metal is good for me to send some adrenaline blood rushin up my brain.

So, death metal fans, pls chip in your say about this. N if u have nothing to say rather than,
    > Tastes of music differ from person to person.
    > U gotta experince it to know it .... et all,....
    then dont bother.

I am not asking anyone to justify their tastes of music here, but just wondering, why be in awe of death, better be a dead man.

2. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Oh god!!!

I thought that this was untoppable. Thankfully, it still is.

OK, if youre as ignorant as to think that death metal is about bleak forests, death, gore, satan, churchburning, norway...etc, well your pretty ignorant (very much to be precise) when it comes to this.

If you think that death metal is too technical to digest (then you'll most probably have the same problem with prog), fair enough: Then simplistic music is down your lane.

If you think that death metal is very good minus the vocals, tough luck for the most part. You might might like progressive metal then

there are many exceptions to what i'm going to say but hopefully you'll get the basic idea
    I like death metal (VERY MUCH) because of [ in No order what so ever]:

- Technicality - Death metal is THE most technically proficient genre in metal along with Progressive metal. It would sound like i'm a music nerd or whatever, but it isnt that way.

- Speed - Well....accept it. Most of the death metal out there (and most of what i listen to) is FAST. Loads and loads of adrenaline and you still gain weight.

- Skilled instrumentation - If you've actually put the effort to listen to a death metal song, 60% of the time, you'll end up liking the drummer even if you hated the song. In most bands, if you listen to the guitars, you'll love them too :) So if you like good guitars/drums in metal, give DM a try ( a very good one). Any person who knows what death metal
    really is, would NOT deny the skills of the instrument players (regardless of her/his liking).

And after saying that, if you say that the vocals are too monotonous/boring (but tolerable), the more you listen to it, the more you'll like it (thats what happened with me).

And if you think that death metal is for depressed, drug addicted, gore obsessed, suicidal people, let me say this: You know very little about this genre. That is just WRONG.

Thankfully, you arent as ignorant (and arrogant at the same time) as lets say rocking devil was, and you see the point now. I also like your maturity when saying these things :). All of the above is MY opinion and whatever i like about DM (and its most probably my single most favourite genre right now).

It took quite some time to actually like this though. Fear Factory brought me into metal and it did take awhile to get into their older stuff (which is more like DM), but then after that just about every Dm song i listened to revealed more with each listen and i loved it more with each listen.

Hopefully that answered your question.

3. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

I'm not a death metal fan but I have noticed that their line-ups have one of the most talented musicians .

4. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Death Metal .. NO NO for me .. shsnawada .. da length of ur post shows ur fondness of DM .. Beware all those guys who wanna argue wid shsnawada :p: .. i won't do da mistake ;)

5. vini

vini Repeat Offender

only and only frustrated people who like such music about suffering, doom, destruction can stand it!!..but i do wonder..how can sum1 listen to it all the time..nah i cant! *shrugs*

do i sound stereotyped?

6. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

hhahahahahahahhahahahaha..
    only and only weak people who like such music about heartbreak, love, more heartbreak can stand old hindi songs!!..but i do wonder..how can sum1 listen to it all the time..nah i cant! *shrugs*

do i sound stereotyped?

7. vini

vini Repeat Offender

Whoops!
    Looks like someone is hurt with my expression of opinion,,tch!

as if i care

muhaahahaha :RollLol:

ps-no more offtopic talk from my side now *zippp*

8. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Hey lemme give u a spoonful of advice all of ya'll .. personal tastes will never change .. no matter how hard u argue .. so i'm outta here :chase:

9. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

lol..
    u didnt get it didnt u??

and if u follow shsnwadas link..u will see that im not a death metal fan.

10. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

^^ that was for vini.not u notty.

11. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

its fine if someone likes death metal .. but dude u dont have to show off saying ur musical taste is high and shit like that .. if u really want to learn complex music types how come u wouldnt be listening to indian classical .. thats the most complex of them al dude ..

and yes u better not make fun of old hindi songs man .. theyre better than ur wits can make out

12. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

who out here said that neones musical taste is high??

shsnawada said he liked that music for reasons he mentioned..
    he just said that ppl like YOU are ignorant abt the genere which makes ppl say some ridiculous things..

and did it hurt u when i brought "old" hindi songs in the picture???hahahahahahahahhaha
    this is what happens when someone disses a genere u listen to and hold in high esteem.
    and yea..i love kishore kumars voice..so u get the picture that i said it to get a reaction out of ppl like u and vini who have a "self-righteous" way of lookin towards things...
    we all know that all generes are good in some way or the other..
    except maybe..the babydoll remixes..lol..now will i get a reaction from somebody for that too..

13. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

REASONS I CANT LIVE WITHOUT DEATH METAL

1) There are very few genres that actually stay away from the verse-chorus cycle, death metal being one of them.

2) Death metal is fascinating coz it involves kickass rhythmic and chromatic progressions- Eg Death.

3) Death metal is probably the only genre that involves a narrative or "story telling" song structure- Eg- Amon Amarth.

4) Death metal not only caters to the musician in you but caters to the athlete in you- Its the only genre that requires proper stamina- Eg Cryptopsy.

5) As shsnawada already mentioned technicality plays a huge role in DM- Technicality is the backone of Death Metal(it make technicality a litttle more acceptable)

14. aysh

fine ..

but dude ive seen ppl trash old hindi music just to show off that theyre big rock fans and stuff like that .. and that is sick ..
    hope u get me

15. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

"rock fans" lol..

i saw a sweat-shirt on a guy yest which said.

METALLICA
    SLAYER
    NIRVANA..

ALL U METALL HEADS NEED THEM...JUST LIKE HOW WINTER NEEDS POLYMER SWEAT-SHIRTS!

true story btw.

16. aysh

lol .. there cudnt be a lousier message to sport !

17. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

WRONG.

@nemo: I do listen to classical indian music and have huge amounts of respect for them. If you see what i wrote, its says most technically profeciant genre IN METAL (along with prog). So if you like metal and like technical stuff, then death metal will suit you. And its most probably only "rock" fans who thrash old hindi music or whatever. My guess is that you'd find only a few (maximum) DMFs doing that.

No. You just sound plain ignorant :p:
    That was quite serious actually.

18. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

I feel u need to be in a certain mood to listen to a certain
    genre.
    I listen to Metal like when i'm frustrsated or plain angry>
    Listen to soft ones when i'm normal.
    PLUS
    I HATE DEATH AND BLACK METAL.

19. vini

vini Repeat Offender

oic..no i didnt really read his post..
    i did get..maybe u didnt make urself clear wid ur hahas and saying that i like old hindi songs
    so any1 would've deciphered the same meaning from ur post like i did..

anyways...woteverrr

20. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

Any slipknot fans here??
    by the way is there music death metal or black metal??