Dave - Metallica What happened - One More version, 1 More story

Discussion in 'Music Reviews, Albums, Biography etc' started by Nanda, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Dave Mustaine was born on September the 13th 1961 in La Mea, California. He joined the band in late 1981 and remained with them until 11 April 1983. During his short time in Metallica, Dave Mustaine (lead guitar) toured with the band, co-wrote several songs which were later featured on the albums "Kill 'Em All" and "Ride The Lightning" and recorded several songs with the band, including the "No Life Til Leather" demo tape.

In LA at the end of 1982, Lars and James the self appointed heads of the band decided that if they were going to progress towards a more professional league then a few changes would have to be made. Problems had arisen with Dave Mustaine which went beyond simple onstage competition. "Dave was an incredibly talented guy" said Brian Slagel, "But he also had an incredibly large problem with alcohol and drugs. He'd get wasted and become a real crazy person, a raging maniac, and the other guys just couldn't deal with that after a while. I mean, they all drank of course, but I guess they could all hold their liquor better than Dave, and I could see they were beginning to get fed up of seeing Dave drunk out of his mind all the time."
    One of the final straws for the band was on the road trip from San Francisco to New York to meet up with Johnny Z. The band nearly didn't make it: a crash with a jeep during a snow storm near Wyoming left the bands truck in a ditch. No-one was hurt, but as the incident occurred while Dave Mustaine was drink driving the others (James, Lars and Cliff) made a mental note that as soon as they started the new phase of their career on the east coast they had to get rid of him.

Dave Mustaine's last gig with Metallica was on a Saturday night in New York on a bill that also included Venom and Vandenburg. After discussing the problem the next day (Sunday) with new manager Johnny Z over a few crates of beer, Hetfield woke the volatile guitarist on the Monday morning to tell him on behalf of the others that he had an hour to pack his bags and leave as they had booked him on a greyhound airlines "flight" back home. It was a painful decision and the band tried to soften the blow by heading into Manhattan that night and drowning their sorrows in a bottle of vodka. Nonetheless it was a decision that had to be made.

Today Johnny Z refuses to elaborate on the events surrounding Mustaine's exit. "The true story about Dave Mustaine will never be told, because there's something of a pact between Dave, Metallica and myself," he says. "All the pain, all the guilt and all the blame came to rest last year, and so now it really is time to let sleeping dogs lie." At the time, however, there wasn't a great deal of love lost between those involved.

"Basically," Mustaine told Metal Forces fanzine shortly after re-emerging with his new band, Megadeth, "when they told me to leave I packed in about 20 seconds and I was gone. I wasn't upset at all as I wanted to start a solo project during the middle of Metallica anyway".

Dave Mustaine's replacement Kirk Hammett from the band Exodus would take up the lead guitar position in Metallica.
    ---Source metallicaworld.co.uk

hate_eternal likes this.
  2. jekyll

jekyll Banned

Nice man ... cool info.
    I heard that DAve Mustaine has been quite understanding in his "kick-out" - in the sense he never calls 'em names

3. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Good dude .. Someone atleast bothered to read my thread .. Thought no one wsould bother to see .... and would prefer hunting 4 gals on CC !!!!!

4. jekyll

jekyll Banned

Actually even i would prefer that,
    but then MetallicA rulezzz ...

could not ignore them.

5. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

yep...i too read something similar...ahh anyways, it all happened for the best

6. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Yeah.. Megadeth came to town baby...

One thing I read somewhere... wasn't Kirk already on the way to Metallica as Dave was being kicked out?

7. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

No i doubt that havent heard that story b4 .. cud b true .. not sure ...

8. guitarfreak_106

guitarfreak_106 New Member

Kirk did recieve some criticism from Dave. Even I wouldn't save Kirk was awesome.

Dave ROCKS :nw:

9. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Dave bugger has gone mad these days !!!!!! ....विमुक्ति, मोक्ष

10. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

wht is with the devnagri script??

and it means???????

11. jekyll

jekyll Banned

me too want that devanagri script :cry1: so what if it doent mean anything or make any sense ... it looks cool ...

12. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

It mean deliverance ... Moksha ...

13. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

hey one more devanahgiri script ...
    thought u guyts might like it !!!!
    सभी को दीपावली की ढेर सारी शुभकामनाऎ, आपकी दीपावली मगंलमय हो।

14. wolfblitz

wolfblitz New Member

anyways,good thing dave was chucked else we wouldnt have megadeth today!
    kirk can never fill daves boots[short **** that he is]
    and to daves credit,metallica were unable to come up with a better album than kill em all

15. jekyll

jekyll Banned

LMAO
    :RollLol:

the only thing really good about Kill Em All album is the riffs ...

nothign apart from that ... really nothing ...

16. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

मा की जय :p:

17. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

yeah, Ride the lightining is way better

18. call_of_ktulu41

call_of_ktulu41 New Member

The dave - metallica story...
    Oft retold .. mostly incorrectly ( witha very strong proclivity to metallica) .. the above article ( the first one) is pretty accurate!!
    Lets add some trivia
    i think all of Dave's animosity is directed towards lars.... apparently jaymz and dave were ' beer drinking buddies' and cliff was just this quiet guy..
    as we all know lars didnt get along very well with james or dave... (or napster!!.. that son of a ..!).
    Dave's resentment of Lars is quite apparent in many songs.. He's said and i quote "You didnt make heavy metal .. metal made you". Also I feel the song "go to hell" was directed at lars.

I've seen an interview of Dave on CNN.. Mustaine says he feels the top 3 rhythm players are him, angus from AC/DC and james. But that doesnt change the fact that he's an ego- maniacal 2 yr old in his mind ( sorry MD fans).. I mean he had a lawsuit with david ellefson over payment issues. he's had 5 lead guitarists is it? and he's got property rights over "Megadeth". LOL. Has anyone seen woodstock 99 when he gets pissed over some guy shining a laser at him. Classic Dave. And whats this new christian thing about him.

All this aside i think hes a kickass player... i still cant figure out how he sings and plays them riffs.. very very talented. Apparently he was supposed to come to India with the Gigantour members . Maybe we all arent his religion??
    But if he plays India.. ill be the first guy lining up to buy tickets.!!

P.S. Has anyone seen this Drover guy perform? Is he any good?