Dark Jazz Anyone ?

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by shsnawada, Dec 28, 2005.

1. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

I've recently tried to get into jazz and have found that most of jazz seems to make happy music (which annoys me for 99% of the time). But i see a lot of talent and great musicianship, just the happiness ruins it (happy music is NOT my taste).
    I've liked the band "Bohren" a lot recently and i'd like to know if there's any "non happy" jazz music that i can listen to. If theyre dark in nature, all the better.

Recommendations are highly appreciated.

alpha1 likes this.
  2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Miles Davis certainly....though it's not really dark jazz. It's certainly not happy jazz. Try "autumn leaves" as a song reccomendation.

3. shsnawada

That song did NOT dissapoint me. Thanks for mentioning that song....

4. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

check out all the jazz guru's. I'm not really into jazz but I love listening to it when I do. Apart from Miles Davis and John Coltrane, be sure to check out John McLaughlin from his days with Ja Mahavishnu. His stuff with Shakti and Remember Shakti is more fusion but good all the same.

You might also want to check out Ottomar and Luna Tiegra's version of "The Girl from Ipanema" which has amazing guitar work in it....and the story of the song is so inspiring in itself. Stan Getz and some Gilberto (probably Juao) whose first name I cannot remember were two musicians struggling to get something new done and they used to go down town to a cafe/pub at Ipanema beach and they used to watch this 19 year old girl walk past the cafe to the beach every morning and then after having stared at her go by started writing their song. The result was what is arguably the most popular Bossa Nova song ever....and the girl (Heliosa Pinheiro) became famous overnight.

5. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

Give Jazzdeathmetal a try^^^^^^^ youll love it

6. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

Jazzdeathmetal !!
    I definately want to try this out. Any recommendations ??

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Me too curious about jazz-death-metal.

8. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Try Cynic and Atheist.
    Also former Cynic bassist Sean Malone's Gordian Knot and Cordlandt projects...ungodly shred/prog-rock/jazz albums. Gordian Knot has Sean Malone, Sean Reinert, Jason Gobel and Paul Masvidal from Cynic, John Myung from Dream Theater, Ron Jarzombek of Watchtower/Spastic Ink,Bill Bruford, Steve Hackett, Trey Gunn from King Crimson and Jim Matheos of Fates Warning. both albums are astonishing..in my top 10 of all time.
    Among other jazz stuff, I dont know why all of it sounds 'happy' to you...except maybe some swing jazz, jazz covers all emotions and rhythms.
    Some of the more metal-ly jazz I like (mostly guitar-based and slightly heavier to appeal to a metal fan:))-
    Mahavishnu Orchestra- The Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of Fire
    Tribal Tech- Rocket Science
    CAB-CAB (with Tony Macalpine on guitar)
    Allan Holdsworth- Metal Fatigue
    The Tony Williams Lifetime-Believe It!
    All the Hellborg/Lane albums-Especially Time is the Enemy and Personae
    Shawn Lane- Powers of Ten
    Micheal Shrieve-Octave of the Holy Innocents (with Buckethead on guitar and Hellborg on bass)
    Both the Bozzio Levin Stevens albums
    Pat Metheny- The Way Up
    Miles Davis- Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew

alpha1 likes this.
  9. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

Which of them are JAZZDEATHMETAL .

and btw I heard somewhere that John Myung didnt do sideprojects other than Dream Theater. Thats the reason he didnt join Liquid Tension Experiment.

and yeah i have Mahavishnu Orchestra . Thought it was Spooky first then for some reason I really liked it

10. abhijitnath

Cynic and Athiest are jaz/death metal.
    Myung does do side projects--he has another one called Platypus. It has Derek Sherinian, Ty Tabor of Kings X and Rod Morgenstein.

11. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

AT LAST!!!! One member with good taste in music.

@abhijithnath- :beer:

12. abhijitnath

Many thanks :beer:
    But why do all people south of the Vindhyas add an 'H' at the end of the 'Abhijit'?:)

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

as in Maruthi car
    or Abhi Guptha

?

LOL

14. shsnawada

I'm a big fan of jazz death metal and thats the reason why i'm trying to get into jazz. I LOVE bands like cynic, Gordian Knot spiral architect, athiest, meshuggah...etc. Anyway, thatnks abhjith for the recommendations. Some, bands i didnt know there.

15. abhijitnath

Oh ok. If you want more trad (non-happy) jazz, then these could be helpful:
    Oscar Peterson/ Stan Getz- The Silver Collection
    Django Reinhardt with Stephane Grapelli
    Miles Davis- Kind of Blue, Bitches Brew, In a Silent Way, Jack Johnson, McLaughlin plays Bill Evans, Making Music
    John McLaughlin- Extrapolation, The Heart of things, The Promise, Electric Dreams
    Terje Rypdal-Rypdal/Dejohnette/ Vitous
    Chick Corea-My Spanish Heart, Rendezvous in New York, Chick Corea/Gary Burton
    Pat Metheny- Everything!
    Joni Mitchell-Shadows and Light
    John Coltrane- Giant Steps
    Egberto Gismonti- Magico
    Jaco Pastorias- Jaco Pastorias
    Stanley Clarke-Live at the Greek
    BTW I see my name has had the 'H' appended again:)

shsnawada likes this.
  16. shsnawada

^^ Whoa... Your whole musical collection must be massive. I will check them out (not all of them though, THATS HUGE). Thanks..... AbhijiTTTTTTTT :p

17. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

Nice thread, it's got me searching for some of that stuff too.

18. shsnawada

ZOMGoodness !!!

I just found the band that i was looking for and what's more, they live pretty close:

Bohren Und Der Club of Gore!i

\o/
    OO
    /ยด\

19. godsaint

godsaint FLOYDIAN MEMORIES

*Excellent*

20. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

'The hell do you guys listen to?? :shock: