Custom Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ronnieanand, Nov 22, 2004.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hi,
    I am thinking of getting a second guitar. One option is getting a Epiphone Les Paul Special II, which I can get it for around 8K. Yes 8K, straight from the US and skipping the taxes. Have sources to do it. Another idea is to get a Les Paul copy made by Tulasi Musicals, Chennai. I have given the specs of Gibson Les Paul Supreme to Tulasi and he quoted 8.5K for the guitar and additional 2K for the gold hardware. I hear a lot of different opinions about Tulasi guitars. Some extremely good and some extremely bad. I know some very very good guitar players who told me that Tulasi guitars look good initially but later tend to warp in the neck and also start loosing the tune and action pretty often. They told me that it plays well only for 6 months or so. But these good guitarists are again not Tulasi guitar owners. So I am looking for some Tulasi Guitar owners who can give me useful reviews and feedbacks about the guitars they use. I want my guitar like a wine, that gets better the older it becomes. Again within my small budget. :eek:: :think:

2. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

The warping used to happen with the older models.. Recent ones are close to perfection.. YOu dont worry about that..

I owned a Tulsi Bass for more than 7 years now.. My friend who plays for Myndsnare has his Tulsi guitar for more than 7 years again.. Now he bought a Washburn.. So Taking an opinion from one of Bangalore's best Metal Guitarist, You can go for TULSI..

3. ronnieanand

Hey,
    I ordered a Les Paul slightly customized from Tulasi Musicals. He refused to even give the slightest discount. It costed me Rs.9200 including the soft case.

1. Regular Les Paul Spec.
    2. Only one master volume knob and no tone knobs instead of the regular 2 volumes and 2 tones.
    3. Slightly thinner body to reduce a bit of weight.
    4. 22 Jumbo Frets.
    5. 21st and 22nd Frets are scallopped.

Hope the guitar comes out well. He said that he will take another 20 days to get the guitar ready.

4. jayanth

Way to go d00d.. Did he mention anything about My Case being ready??

5. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

Well give us some pics when its ready!

6. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

What's this Tulsi Musicals I keep hearing about? Any good? How long do they take to spec and make a guitar? If I order one now, will it be ready by Jan 20th delivered to Mumbai? ;)

7. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

Anyone knows about the high end tansen's u get over here.
    I heard they are kick ass. i need price and availability info ?

8. jayanth

Tansen is Not there anymore dude.. Sorry..

@ Blackmamba :- They take around two to three weeks.. They are custom guitars.. YOu have a JEM why do you need any other guitar??

9. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Replacement Necks is what I'd be interested in. ;)

10. jayanth

Oh then its easy.. Give me the details.. I'll talk to him.. He is a good friend o mine..

11. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

well, i saw myndsnare in ID ROCK concert...dat was my first ever concert and they really impressed...infact they really inspired me to get into thrash metal...and also knew abt their gears...they sound pretty gr8....the singer's voice is awesome....i think ..he is jayanth's pal....huh?

every1 was checking out the female drummer...:p:

12. jayanth

Yhea KP is his name.. Bassie - Narayan ,, Drummer - Yasmin...

13. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

theres this guy in yelahanka(bangalore) called Bobby. Plays for a band called Pranav and ex-clockwork orange. Guy makes some really nice fretboards. Takes custom order too.

14. ronnieanand

Hey,
    Tansen Guitars are still available. I recently checked out their guitar when I went to Chennai around a week back. The feel is pretty good with a fast fretboard. Unfortunately there was no power when I went, so I just played the guitar without plugging in. Infact I was so much impressed with jumbo frets in one of the guitars, that I went to Tulasi straight away and ordered Jumbo Frets for my Les Paul.
    The old Tansen shop is no more. The new one is called Manuel Musicals in First Phase, Second Floor of Spenser Plaza. Very small place, so easy to miss out. He also makes custom guitars at a high price. This shop is managed by the same Suresh Manuel if you remember.
    I checked a few high end tansens a few months back in the same shop and they were all hopeless crap but this time, I checked some simple models and they were pretty good. Either that they have improved the quality in the recent or their production is not consistent.

15. jayanth

@ Ronnie :- I though Suresh ran out on a loss.. Ha ha ha.. check out the Flash guitar.. Its class..

@ Chintan :- Yhea i know.. He did a bad job for my Jackson.. So i dont recommend him..

16. ronnieanand

I heard different stories as why closed down. The true reason still remains a mystery at least to me.
    Story 1: The guitar manufacturing unit was enjoying a lot of rebate since they were expected to be a 100% export unit, so when they tried to sell the same in domestic, they had to face some problems with Import / Export related laws which made them close down.
    Story 2: Their direct shop was selling at some rate which none of the retailers through out India could match, so all the retailer, forced them to shut down if the retailer would continue to sell Tansen guitar.
    Stor 3: Loss. Couldn't continue further :).

17. jayanth

LOL.. Tansen Closed down due to them bringing in Harmony Guitars.. They changed focus..

18. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

any word on this fellow called peter perreira or something - thane based fellow makes imitation guitars. Friend wanted to know if hes good - anyone with any experience with him who even knows anything about his work please tell me.

19. jayanth

Tulsi is better.. Peter Perreira is slow and expensive.. Need info on Tulsi.. Please pM me..

20. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Hey Ron....is ur LP copy from Tulasi ready??...post a pic soon d00d.... :)