Custom guitar specs -- Need Help

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Double Click, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Double Click

Double Click New Member

I have finally decided to go ahead and buy a tulsi guitar.
    I am pretty sure about most of the stuff I want

BUT .... I am stuck at deciding between an ordinary bridge vs floyd rose..

Now, if this were an original FR, I'd have no problem..... but this one is a Korean version, and I wanted to know --

How well does the tuning hold up?

How hard is it to set up?

How often will the tuning go off?

Now for a stupid question--

Should I go for a pickguard or not?
    What are the pros and cons of having/not havin a pickguard?

I play all sorts of music...everything form blues to metal.

Thank U

2. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Dont know much about the Floyd copy Tulsi uses but it cant really be that good anyway. The only thing i know is that there will be a 5k difference in cost if you want a floyd. In general Floyds are a huge problem when it comes to tuning up.
    Personally i prefer a rear routed guitar to a guitar with pickguard but thats just because it looks better. One advantage of pickguard is that when you want to change picups from single to humbucker or vice versa all you have to do is change the pickguard or cut it up a bit but with rear routed guitars youcant change the orientation of the pickups.

3. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Contact alpha1 for first hand reviews on Tulasi FR...he ahs one on his RR Flying V copy.
    As sridhar said, pickguard mounted electronics are a breeze to change...routing the pickup wire into the control cavity is a big PITA..
    Looks wise...i prefer rear mounted electronics.

4. slash_i_m

slash_i_m Laid to Rest

try sumthing cool.may be gears 4 ur knobs,thatz wat i did in the guitar i made.

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I feel Floyd rose is good only if you wanna do dive bombs like EVH or Steve Vai.
    Otherwise it is a little pain setting it up. And even more pain while changing the tuning.
    I took the normal tremolo coz I know I sometimes use the tremolo, so fixed bridge wudve restricted me. But fixed bridge will give the longest sustain. nad the best natural tone.

I like the looks of the guitars that have pickguard. It is a purely a matter of personal taste. Somehow, to me, the pickguard makes the guitar look a tad more antique.Besides in my case the black pickguard complemented the red n black look n feel.

You done with explorer vs kelly thing?

6. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Hmmm.... I will not be using the trem extensively, only once in a way, so I guess I can make do with a vintage trem.

@alhpa1 How does the tuning hold up on yours? BTW Tri AC is on the Bajaao website now :beer: 11.5K

I wont be changing the pickup orientation in this guitar, so I guess rear mounted electronics are what I need...

One more thing does anyone here have any ideas for the colour scheme of the guitar (post pics/links if you can)? It is going to be an Explorer copy

7. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

8. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Looks like oiled mahagony to me. Quite nice.