Custom Guitar Amp

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ronnieanand, Aug 19, 2005.

1. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

nowadays u have processors ... which are nothing but small computers ... which breaks the incoming signal into digital bits ... apply all the transformations to mimic the analog devices (like pedals and amps ...) and then send the signal out (after changing it back to analog) ...

here u can see some sites ...
    https://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-1155.html
    https://www.olga.net/dynamic/browse.php?local=resources/construction_docs/faq/faq.effects.RGKEEN.txt
    https://illumin.usc.edu/article.php?articleID=10
    last one is really good ...

b.t.w. changing EQ before the distortion circuit also results in diff sounds ... whcih is not the same as EQ after the distortion circuit ...

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Even in the US, most boutique pedal makers and even MXR pedals are made from Hammond Boxes. I use the same for my pedals, so that it does look like a real pedal not some hobby junk. Check out Hammond 1590B and Hammond 1590BB. The MXR Dist+ is housed in the Hammond 1590B. This case is much solid than the Sheet Metal thing.

Distortion or Fuzz is the clipping of the signal. Clipping could be Symmetrical or Asymmetrical depending on individuals taste. Overdrive is driving an amplifier beyond it's capacity. Even your normal 2in1 can overdrive at full volume. If the input signal is too high in amplitude, the output of the amplifier gets overdriven. This was one technique used by lotta great guys. As a simple experiment take two audio amplifiers. This could be your 2in1 amp or guitar amp or anything. Just cascase two amps together. The first amp will start acting like a distortion pedal. It may not sound good or impressive but it will work. I tried this and it worked. I used two guitar amps both in clean mode and when cascaded, the first amp started acting like a distortion pedal.

3. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

^^ yeah pretty much how i used ta get dist at college ... we had a mixing panel and amp + amp with a speaker ... but none of em was designed to be overdriven ...
    i remember once blowing the amps ... hehe ... and one channel of the mixing panel ... i used ta keep the output vol of mxing panel at max ... the out of amp at max ... and the outlet of amp+speaker was for volumn control ... used to get pretty decent distortions ...
    that is for the period the setup worked ...
    but the prob is it used get blown off ...

4. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Make me a Diezel Herbert copy.....please...................
    Even if its half of the $3500 retail price its cool with me:)

Btw what justifies the outragreous price 4*12 cabs command? Its just wood and speakers! Can you make custom cabs?

5. shak

shak Harrr!

i once tried makin a timed distortion device ..didnt work
    what i wanted was quick burst of distortiona followed by quick decay ... made a timer circuit using couple of transistors and capacitors ... got ma fuzz from diodes in bridge formation .. but dunno they didnt work .. tried mosfets as well instead of diodes but they didnt give me distortion at all .. dunno what i did wrong ..but it just didnt work ..
    these days i have a black ice pre-amo permanently installed on my les paul ..woks just fine .. i am thinking of putting a timer circuit on that :) :)
    lets see if that works ...

by the way very nice topic ..... but i see no one has mentioned hard clipping and soft clipping ... also triangular and sqaure clipping for that matter ...
    any thoughts on that or should i post my own?

6. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

^^^ i kinda mentioned about hard and soft clipping ... anyway the links to the sites were meant as further reading ...
    triangular and square - wooo ... u need ta really know about circuits ... what is the point telling everything and no one understanding it ...

7. shak

shak Harrr!

yeah nice links been studying them since pst hour or so .......

8. ronnieanand

I know hard/soft or symmetrical/asymmetrical clipping. Never heard of triangular clipping or square clipping. Maybe you are referring to wave generation. Actually a lot of wave generators are used for Guitar Synth. That will be pretty experimental. But right now my idea is to get a nice pedal board with my own pedals. I have located a crappy Stranger Volume Pedal for Rs.650. Planning to buy and make a Wah out of it. Making is a Wah is simple but the rocker pedal is pretty difficult and this Stranger Volume pedal would be of use. I might use these Fasel Inductor from Dunlop. Will keep you posted on that later.

9. ronnieanand

Abhijit,
    It's wood and speakers and also the design that costs a lot of money. A Celestion 12" can cost from $60 to $400. For calculate for 4 speakers and also the wood plus workmanship. I dont make cabinets but I can direct you to people who make cabinets. I will be getting a 12x2 cabinet for me shortly.

10. shak

shak Harrr!

the square adn triangular clipping is not actually clipping you are right ... but it IS called as clipping :S ... it is basically superposing two waves to get required patterns ... one original and the other artificial .. anyway ... i dunno much about that myself .. thats why i asked

anyone of you know how rotovibe works?