Cricket community gears up for fund-raiser Match In Help of Tsunami Victims

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by rizaaj, Jan 8, 2005.

1. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

Source : Cricinfo.com

The international cricket community is moving quickly to organise a fund-raising match for the victims of the natural disaster that struck South Asia days ago. Tim May, the chief executive of the Federation of International Cricketers' Associations, sent a proposal to all world player associations asking if they would support a match played on January 11 or 12. Needless to say, the response was overwhelming.

The Herald Sun newspaper reports that May then rushed his proposal to Cricket Australia, who gave their immediate support to the cause. Then, the proposal was put before the International Cricket Council in an urgent attempt to get official recognition for the match.

The match is likely to be played in one-day format, probably as Australia v Rest of the World. Players from the England and South Africa teams will be unable to take part as the two countries are locked in a five-Test series at the moment.

All that is required now is for the logistics to be worked out. "The only reason why it would not get up would be if there was too much to do but I don't think that is an excuse," May is quoted as saying. "It took only two minutes for the devastation to occur. It should not be too much trouble to organise a cricket match in 12 days."

If the match is endorsed by the ICC, and it widely expected that this will happen shortly, it has potential to raise a healthy amount of money. The world's best, and most glamorous, cricketers, including the likes of Sachin Tendulkar, Adam Gilchrist and Brian Lara are set to take part in the game.

Sri Lanka, one of worst-hit countries in the tragedy, has cancelled its tour of New Zealand but May revealed that the Sri Lankan players would be more than willing to play this fund-raising match. "The Sri Lankan players told us that if the match was approved they would be here in a heartbeat."

2. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

3 cheers for the cricket community !!! hip hip hurray !!!

3. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Yeah... but like, granting ICC status to it kinda spoiled it for me... like, it would have been better if it were jus a charity match like the previous ones...!

4. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

at last the cricket community does something good....

5. mani_rawalpindi

mani_rawalpindi GUNS AND GUITARS

it will be fun also it will be more competition

6. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

ya top players from all the teams.. im not gonna miss.

7. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

tendulkar has so much money.. he hasnt donated anything.. michael schumaker donated 10 million dollars..

8. desirocker

desirocker New Member

I'm not shure about the whole Australia vs. World team divisions. This kind of charity event is made to unit the cricket community and fans from all over. Maybe this match should be played as East vs. West with the division coming somewhere in the Indian Ocean. Otherwise great concept!

9. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

^Right about tendulkar
    Good concept. A telecom company called 3 or something has also agreed to donate $762 for every run scored in that match. Should be one heck of a match:)

10. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Amen to that. On another note, George W. Bush has donated $10,000 for the cause and he criticizes the rest of the world for being stingy. He probably gives his daughter the same amount for her birthday. The man makes my blood boil. Schumacher is a true gentleman and it's really **** on Tendulkar's part to not make a donation when so much help is needed to get those poor people through a time of such crisis.

11. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

^^there are many famous personalities apart frm sports who are respected and have gr8 fans all around but they cannot generously donate for some traumatic event like tsunami...
    @dmf....schumacher earns like $80 million per year...2nd most ....1st is tiger woods $83 million....and yeah Bush sux and also tony blair.

12. Menon

Menon New Member

Today was the game guys..the World XI beat the Asian XI

13. shak

shak Harrr!

this is so sad...why do people need to be given incentives like cricket games to get money out of thier pockets for the welfare of their fellow human beings who have lost everything???

14. Menon

Menon New Member

It's jussa matter of how you look at it man!!This is the cricket community's way of showin they care..and make an even fun to watch and for a good cause..!!
    Don't put it down to mere commerce!!
    Cheerio
    Menon

15. shak

shak Harrr!

u have mis-understood what i meant my friend..but anyways
    no need to argue..i believe the end justifies the means..and this was all for a good cause..cheers for cricket community.

16. Menon

Menon New Member

Eloquent!!
    Cheerio

17. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

this was not the only one... the second one is still to be played by the end of Feb. or beginnning of March...

18. Menon

Menon New Member

Yeah SO I heard..tremendous..same teams???