Cracked NEck...Wat to do???

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Con_fu_sed, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Con_fu_sed

Con_fu_sed New Member

A guy named Sunil from Kandivali. Hav heard a lot about him. Lets see what he does

2. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Yeah hav heard of him......he is gud....Majority of the Guitarist from Mumbai go to his workshop for repairing their guitars. dont worry its definitely in safe hands. C it tomm and let us know.

By the way peter perriera is more experienced than sunil. But sunil is also great. i have seen guitars made by him.... they are really cool.....

3. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

tht seems to be a minor crack..anyway..if its a bolt on..u could replace the neck ..can ask somebody who makes custom guitars(like tulsi) to make you a new one ..it wont be that expensive ..sure it il neva be like the ibanez's neck ..but atleast it doesnt turn your guitar into a 25k paper weight..

4. srakshit

srakshit New Member

A crack like that will widen over time as the tension from the strings pull the headstock forward.

But AFAIS the integrity of the neck is not compromised, you're very lucky. I had a pretty expensive acoustic that turned to trash when the peghead snapped off clean after a fall like that.

You can ship in a replacement neck, and of better quality too.

www.stewmac.com

5. Con_fu_sed

Con_fu_sed New Member

Hey got my guitar back. he seem to hav done a good job. I guess only time will prove that. But lets see the crack has been glued now however the mark of the crack remained.
    that guy has assured me that even if i bang the guitar over there again the glued crack wont open ;-). iTs that strong now.

6. srakshit

srakshit New Member

That is so typical of a monkey luthier. Using a glue that's stronger than the wood will ensure that if it does fall again, it will crack in a second place.

Unfortunately that's Indian luthierie for you.

A proper luthier would mend it with hide glue, which is not as strong as epoxy or wood glue like Fevicol, but is more benign. So it would structurally hold the peghead correctly, but on impact or shock it would open up at the same joint. It is very easily repairable and the application of fresh glue or heat would get the neck fixed back up in 10 minutes.

Anyway, enjoy. There's nothing much you can do about it anyway.

7. beowulf

beowulf New Member

Wheres this guy Sunil in kandivli (any addresses or contact nos?).

Off topic, somebody mentioned, Keep your Guitar like your girlfriend...in your case, from now on-Never leave your girlfriend alone on the bed when your small brother is around

8. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

in tht case i'll take 10, 5 in advance.

9. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Sunil Shinde - 9323467262. Dont hav his address. Call him up and ask him...