Cort X2 Vs Fender Squier Affinity Series

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by sathaadj, Dec 11, 2010.

1. sathaadj

sathaadj New Member

Hi all,

I need an electric guitar, i like to play classical music on guitar.... I just checked Aruna Musicals in Bangalore, they suggested me Cort X2 which has only 3 way switch for pickups and a H-H pickup. This costs 10200

I had another choice just based on the googling knowledge. Which is Fender Squier Affinity Series which is S-S-S pickup with 5 way switch. But in india we seem to be having only china made fenders which just dont look good as the american makes. This costs 13800

I am quite confused which one to choose, i am kinda convinced towards cort x2. I need some views on this.... Can you guys help me?????

2. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

Wow, another classical musician (btw, Indian classical or Western classical?).

It's good you're swerving away from the Squiers. They've a real bad rep.

I suggest you go through The Guide first. That will tell you what to look for in a guitar, and which ones are usually good around this range, and which ones are best avoided. Also, the amp you'll be playing it through will play the main role in the sound, and the guide has info on amps in this range too.

3. flood

flood New Member

i say a firm NO to squiers, particularly the affinity series. it was my first guitar and not a very good one. dunno if quality has gone up since then, but i am, more often than not, disappointed by squier in general.

4. sathaadj

sathaadj New Member

@ultrabot90::: I meant indian classical style.

Thanks for the instant reply. I went through the link about buying a new electric guitar, itz good information for beginners like me... thanks.

I haven't tried the squeir guitar yet it was so horrible looking guitar.... the frets and the fret board looks like its kinda unfinished.... I guess it was made of maple wood (fret board) I was told by the shop keeper that it costs more than cort x2 but cort has better quality than the squier.

The shop keeper was very experienced he even suggested me a different style i could use when i played some of Ilayaraja's songs in classical style. He said he has 24 years of experience can't deny that after seeing him playing and demonstrating.

I guess after seeing the first thoughts from you both i better go ahead for cort x2. I was demoed with a dual channel amp which he suggested me to buy at 5000 Rs. It had all the delay and chorus effects that i wanted in the first place from a electric guitar for classical style. I am not sure about it's make... but i am impressed with it... i gonna buy it today... thanks guys....

5. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

I'd say, like in the guide, that don't look at an amp for it's effects. Look for the good sound - that's the whole point of an amp. Effects can always be added, and the effect pedals you get for ~5k-per-effect give you much better quality and controllability of effects than those on an amp.

BTW, I think you might like this - I've never said this to anyone here before, but here goes - try tuning your guitar in all 4ths, EADGCF (last two strings raised by a semitone - now all the scales and chords will be the same shape, all other the fretboard.). I think you might find it handy* ;)

*unless you use open strings or barre chords a lot.