Correct way to connect my electric guitar to my computer using a deck

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by danii, Oct 6, 2005.

1. danii

danii New Member

SoundCard Deck

Microphone Port...................>.....................Input Port

Speakers Port.........................>...................Output Port

And the lead of the guitar, one connector in my Guitar and the other one in the Deck's mic port.

Is it the correct way to connect my electric guitar to my computer using a deck.

2. danii

danii New Member

posting error

In the msg above the input+output ports are of my deck and microphone+speakers are port of my comp.

S/c________Deck
    mic...............input
    speakers.....Output

3. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

yup its correct ... Is it not working ?

4. tui_kep

tui_kep New Member

hyderabad don't sell a descent eletric guitar, all thats here r gbna's n some johnson.... where r the real stuff loacted?.....i nedd 1 real soon... probbably by tomorrow.

5. tui_kep

tui_kep New Member

l
    e
    s
    p
    a
    u
    l

6. jekyll

jekyll Banned

welcome dude

me too in hyderabad ... but duinno anything about here ...
    y dont ya PM Tejas ... he knows about this place

7. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Ya tejas is frm tht place .. but if u want good stuff why dont u go to chennai to check it up ...

8. jekyll

jekyll Banned

^ u mean this guy shoul take a flight to chennai ?

dude he requires it by tomorrow!

9. danii

danii New Member

u just deviated from the topic dostooo...

Listen........ wat i wanna do is to tune my guitar using my pc. I wanna play some drop d ........etc songs. What i wanna know is how can i connect my guitar with my pc and tune it using my pc. Right now wat i've is a Japanese deck and an electric guitar. I just plug it(guitar) in my deck and play it But again wat i wanna know is how can i connect my guitar with my pc and tune it using my pc. Can any one write the complete procedure for me. plz.................................. plz............................... or give me one's contacts i'll be really obliged.

10. danii

danii New Member

plz...

plz... post it quicklyyy.......

11. jekyll

jekyll Banned

your guitar cable jack will be 1/4"
    the line in into your computer soundcard port will be 1/8"
    so u need a convertor to reduce the jack size so that it can go into the line-in of your computer soundcard

thats it - u just plug the guitar into the line-in of your computer sound card ...
    u might try plugging it into the microphone port also - but that is not recommended since it may cause impedance mis-match and also the microphone signal is usually bass boosted by the soundcard - so your guitar will sound horrible

but u can try and whatever soudns the best to you :)

12. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

@jekyll

on the contrary, its almost impossible to hear a guitar plugged in directly into the line in port without a preamp. the volume will be so minute that you'll hardly be able to discern it. its antoher matter if the preamp is present. otherwise, the mic port is the only option.

13. jekyll

jekyll Banned

oops sosrry dude ...

i forgot to add that u need to have an amp ... :oops:

but i dunno about using the mic port ... wont it "color" the tone of the guitar ?

14. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

using the mic port does colour the tone a bit but its nothing much. if you are have a good sound card or chipset, you might even be able to negate the colouration by using settings that come with resident driver software.