correct way of holding a pick?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by rocknam, Mar 6, 2008.

1. rocknam

rocknam New Member

Well I hold the pick with 3 fingers while playing the guitar and I know its not the right way. I guess the technically correct way is holdin it with the thumb & index finger but I just can't do that.... have to grip it with the middle finger as well. I can play lead well but my strumming isn't that good. Anyone else have the same problem huh , Do you think I should continue holding the pick like this because holding it the traditional way seems to be very difficult for me...

2. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

well actually there's no right or wrong way of holdin the pick..its jus that holdin it between the thumb and index finger is more conventional and more easy for most of us.........

its ur choice of holdin the way u want.......but .........there's also a reason why we hold it the way we do......because it affects our playin.....somehow it seems easier to play with our style........

if the way ur comfortable holdin it the way ur are now then dont change........but if its affecting ur playin skills then i suggest u follow suite.....

it may be difficult at first,,,,but u'll get used to it!

cheers!
    :beer:

3. rocknam

rocknam New Member

hey thanks for the reply. I googled it and came to know that Eddie Vedder holds the pick with his middle finger and thumb only. now thats weird.... well my strumming(playing rythm) sucks especially the upstroke......which is why I am so confused .

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

There are two main schools:
    1. Holding the plectrum with fingertips - like you hold a pen or a pencil.
    You can use thumbs along with index or middle or whichever finger tips you want.

2. Holding the plectrum with the fleshy part in the thumb. In this, your index finger is curved, plactrum lying flat on the base formed by curve; and pressing the plec with the thumb.

IMO the second one offers better accuracy, and you utilize only the wrist for picking, whereas the first one involves fingers also for picking (which aint accurate as much as only wrist movement)

Check this out: https://www.nl-guitar.com/mus-box/mbasic2.htm
    This is the 2nd way

5. radicalz_adi

radicalz_adi New Member

jus hold it the way u want.....dosent really matter and abt ur strumming it would improve wid time

6. amitrichardxess

amitrichardxess New Member

2. Holding the plectrum with the fleshy part in the thumb. In this, your index finger is curved, plactrum lying flat on the base formed by curve; and pressing the plec with the thumb.

i hold plectrum in 2nd way i will suggest u to use this way only.......
    bcoz this is more effective if u wanna play really fast solos , it provide speeds an accuracy which u will not get in 1st way ....... at the end its ur choice

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yeehaw!
    Another one for the second way

8. -Nemesis-

-Nemesis- New Member

Hold it however you feel comfortable.
    :)

9. xan

xan New Member

Hey dude same problem with me.perfectle word to word ;)