Correct tuning at a lower tension ??

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Kart, May 7, 2008.

1. Kart

Kart New Member

I wished to know why some guitars allow the correct E tuning even when the strings feel much more relaxed and easier to bend. I use D'Addario XL strings on a custom made Indian copy of the American strat and yet I am not able to make bends like David Gilmour. I have tried a lower end Ibanez, but still I experienced similar string tension. Is it about the strings or the guitar? If guitar, which guitar would you suggest in the budget of Rs 25000-30000?
    Thanks.

2. DagMX

DagMX New Member

two things affect the string tension:
    string gauge
    scale length

lower gauge(thinner) strings will give you less tension.

scale length is the distance between the nut and the bridge. The longer the scale length, the more tension at the same tuning. So for example a les paul has a smaller length than a strat and therefore will have lower tension.

As for a guitar, what kind of music do you plan to play? And what are you looking for exactly in the guitar?

3. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Also the strength in your fingers. That matters a lot. Old blues players bent 13s. The more you practice your bends the easier it'll get. Of course, it's going to be really tough bending 2 tones on 12s.

4. Kart

Kart New Member

5. DagMX

DagMX New Member

umm...i dunno what the mode you play in has to do with the guitar?
    but I'd go with the ibanez even though I'm no a fan of the brand. it fits your needs.
    I would get an S series though with atleast one single coil pickup.

All strat-shaped ibanez guitars are the same scale as a strat so the tension would be the same. The ibanez guitars would have a flatter fretboard radius meaning bending might be very slightly easier.
    If you're concerned about bends though, I'd get a fixed bridge guitar or atleast lock down the trem. Bigger bends I find are harder on a trem

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

For easier bending, there are only two things that matter:
    1. finger strength
    2. less string tension

For the first part, you can only do with practice
    For the second part, you can put lighter gauge strings (9s or 10s). But the problem with lighter gauge is that they tend to get out of tune easier than heavier gauge.

Guitar actually plays no practical role in bending. Most of the blues players used classic Strats and Gibsons when they played. Modern guitarists use the flatter profile fretboards, but that is only because it is easier to play the shred.

Yngwie Malmsteen plays a Fender Strat, and to this date, his bends are considered one of the best.

But in general if you are looking for shredding - Ibanez are pretty good.

7. thehundredthone

10s are considered light gauge? I just bought 10s :shock:

8. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

I have 10s on my acoustic.

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Haha
    there is no "cut-off" for light / heavy gauge.
    I guess its more of personal preference / labelling.

9s are definitly light.
    13s are defeini;lty heavy.

10. thehundredthone

8s are definitely light. I have 8s currently. I think I'm going to die when I put the 10s on.

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Well we also need to take into accoutn the neck length.

10s on Gibson length feel equivalent to 9s on Ibanez length.

12. thehundredthone

10s on Gibson length on my guitar.