Conveying Timing through tabs.

Discussion in 'Guitar Tablature Discussion' started by Morbid_Angel, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

Conveying timing through tabs is not easy at all..its almost impossible.

The experts here who have a very good sense of music and know staff notations can easily do it though. There are many ppl who say i havent heard the song before plz gimme link so i can listen and then play.

The people who have GP5 and find it easy can post their tabs with convenient timing using GP5. It uses only the types of notes present in stave notations. like Eight notes quartner notes etc. We cant download all the songs if we wanna play em.

This is an example

Song : O O Jaane Jaana

Code:
    Song
      Q    H.              Q    Q    E  E  E  E     Q    H.            
    --------------------|------------------------|--------------------|
    --0----1------------|--3----3----0--------0--|--------------------|
    --------------------|---------------2--------|--2----0------------|

E  E  Q    E  E  E  E     H        H           Q    Q    E  E  E  E   
    -------------------------|--------------------|--0----0----------------|
    --------0----0--0-----0--|--0--------0--------|------------0--1-----1--|
    --0--0-------------------|--------------------|------------------------|
    -------------------------|--------------------|------------------------|
    Duration Legend
    ---------------
    W - whole
    H - half
    Q - quarter
    E - 8th
    S - 16th
    T - 32nd
    X - 64th
    . - note dotted
    |-n-| - n-tuplets

The blank left tablature spaces stands for a rest ie. no note shud be played there.

I would like ure comments on whether this is easy or not...atleast ppl cud just be close to approximation here.

2. limaj_daas

limaj_daas Guitar Pro Maniac

I used to do this too.... da spacing method... but i just find guitar pro a hell lot easier to understand. btw... in the spacing method... we need to put the tempo too.

3. jozko

jozko Banned

Good topic Arnold. I still can't play the tab u gave:-( Is it the song melody of the popular O O jaane jaana song or intro or something? I can't make out unless i hear the original(been a long time) or the tune should be fixed in mind(e.g., karz tune, DDLJ melody). Arnold also note that string tuning (say EADGBe ) info seems missing in ur posting.

Advanced players hardly need tabs. I have heard stunning work by ace guitarist Manu Varghese who just recreated a (North-Eastern ?) song tune, which he says he had heard only once. They just listen and play or they know what sounds right or wrong. They have sharp ears and know rules, they can transpose etc etc.

I strongly believe one should learn theory and terms like half notes, quarter notes, tempo etc but...

But a lot of people like me get excited just to play a tune (KARZ) or two(SADMA) on guitar without knowing a thing abt music. Starters get discouraged hearing terms like notes, strings, tuning, frets etc unless somebody is around to guide.

A simple solution, i'd suggest is make a close-up video of playing the tab and post somewhere like youtube or google video. (u can make video with webcam, mobile cam. low quality video with small file size is enough. bandwidth cost coming down these days, so no big issue) It conveys timing, finger positions etc. Also try to make a slow version of it. Lot of people wrote to me that they liked my PAL PAL intro effort on youtube. I don't think that many people would have tried it from tab notations alone. Once they learn a few things, with time they can follow jargons. Like simple addition and subtraction in maths were difficult when I started. I used fingers to do math. Now I think, i'll get full marks if I take 1st or 2nd std math exams, even without revising :)) . Things ones difficult start to look simple after a while.

Of course my thoughts only, i liked ur topic and appreciate ur effort bro

4. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

I think one would rather learn staff notations than this. Better to learn something standardized for what is essentially the same amount of effort.

5. Morbid_Angel

This is just staff notations which can be put in a txt file for guitarists or can be put here at IGT. The values in Staff notations like crotchet notes are written as Q etc.
    And Not every person who understands staff notations has GP5.

yea and the song is O O Jaane Jaana. Start playing from the 2nd bar bcoz i skipped the 1st line :p
    Im uploadin the pdf file here if u wanna play it. Ive put up a midi also so u can check if ure playin it ryte.

Attached Files:

6. limaj_daas

I think the problem here might just be with the people who've just picked an instrument up and wanna learn waaay too much in an insufficient amount of time.

7. Morbid_Angel

U Mean the people who just wanna play simple songs without learning to play the guitar..like i play the piano that way :p:

8. limaj_daas

Lol ya prolly;) Btw, do u think there should be a seperate section on the forum for like gps?

9. Morbid_Angel

Nah we can post the songs in the submission forum in the form of gp5 files. A particular type of heading can be kept so searchin for it mite be easy.

.:SpY_GaMe:. likes this.
  10. limaj_daas

ya well i do that but the problem is most ppl don't have gp and are waaaay too lazy to download the 10mb trial of it. On top of that, making a gp is quite a bit of work and the end result is a pretty big achievement... but since no one replies or comments on it an dit gets like 15 views.... the maker is constantly dicouraged. And that totally sucks. Plus i rlly have a thing against most tabbers cuz they just tab the main riff (even that turns out to be screwed up at times) and say they've tabbed the whole song. Well some figure out chords and the solo as well and they leave the whole rhythm section out. And then if the song has a lot of orchestra... then they leave that out too... barely anyone tabs songs decently!!!

11. Morbid_Angel

^
    Totally agreed. GP5 files shud get more credit as its harder to do dat. It provides much more information.

12. limaj_daas

bet u if i create a gp for a jal or atif song, it'll get 8000 views and my rep points will shoot to the sky...

13. Morbid_Angel

Totally agreed ^^.
    But i won't waste my time on em artists.