constructing a solo, then does it HAVE to be in a particular scale?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Quadrophenia, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Quadrophenia

Quadrophenia Member

Hey guys,
    i've got another question about scales.
    okay this is going to be very newbie so hold that temper :p

What i know : is that a scale is a set of notes, which can be played at variety of different parts of the fret board and is also slide-able. I Also know that scales are played in a order, that is high to low, or low to high.

What i wanna know is: if i'm constructing a solo, then does it HAVE to be in a particular scale or can i just make anyting that ''sounds good''.

Also, whats the point of scales?, besides finger stretching :annoyed:

does this also mean that instead of an Amaj chord , i can play notes from the A major scale?to make it subsitute and no i'm not talking about something which sounds good..does it work always???

and finally how are notes in a chord and a scale linked :confused:
    and do i need to know scales if i'm jamming with my mates?? :eek:

thanx alot, i'm sure other ppl will find this useful as well as me :beer:

2. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

If you are constructing the solo, it can be anything u want it to be as long as you like it. "Sounds good" is a very loose term. It could mean differetly to different people... So, lets just say that solos based entirely on one scale sound fairly accurate, but many people mix scales in their solos and these combinations sound even better. but if u r a beginner and are making ur own solo, then u should stick to the same scale... tho, if u have so many questions about scales, i think it is better for u to know more about them before attempting to compose your own solos...

Major chords are made by playing the 1st, 3rd and 5th notes of the respective major scales. So, a chord is always contained within a scale whereas a scale is not contained entirely within a chord... so if u replace say C MAJ chord with say, the notes A, E, B, C, E which belong to the C MAJ scale, but it will give u a completely different chord (Am)... So, don't think so deep into it right now... just let your ear judge whats right and let your brain rest while you play.

3. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

None of my solos ""Sound good"" thats because i move between more than one scale.. They sound Sonic.. So its not the question of Sounds good.. the Question is how you want it to SOund..

4. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills & Far Away

scales are the most interesting studies one can do with music and guitar... just fantastic, as i myself am beginning to know them and their secrets.

@quadro: good to learn the scales but learn them with the proper fingering... and scales sometime involve a great deal of stretching of fingers... so better prepare and strengthen ur fingers and give them (esp the pinky, which is the weakest finger) a lot of individuality in motion before going headway into scales, if u wdn't want to form bad habits.

u may see these pages for some exercises and use them in tandem:

the pre-scale exercises on https://www.cyberfret.com and

https://www.guitarprinciples.com/Guitar_Technique/gscale.htm (rush thru the shameless self-promos to find some real nuggets, and definitely see the 'walking exercises' and do them)

use of a metronome is HIGHLY recommended. alternate picking is suggested.