Connect my guitar dierctly into my laptop ?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by rahulp, Sep 20, 2008.

1. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

I wanna connect my guitar, dierctly into my laptop and use an amp modelling software (Amplitube Metal)
    Now does anyone know of the things I'll need for this, and where I'll get them in Pune??

2. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

YOu just need the adapter and cable

And use asio4all driver for lower latency..

3. thepacifist2013

thepacifist2013 V.I.P Member

If you go directly into the mic-in of your laptop, you'll get lots of screeches and squeals from softwares like amplitube at high gain. This is probably because some of the signal from the output bleeds back into the mic-in which is again amplified and so on. I've tried doing this and this is a problem I've faced.

I've heard good things about USB recording interfactes like M-audio jamlab and Line 6 tonepro. You might wanna check them out.

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

All you need is a convertor jack (1/4" to 1/8") which allows you to plug your guitar into the line-in or mic socket.

Screeches and squeals will not happen if you position your guitar away from the speaker, besides, the puny laptop speakers hardly have any guts to send the signal into a feedback.

Once you have plugged the comp, you would require to start the application, probably tell the application - how you have connected (line-in / mic / crap).
    Switch on the effects and presto!

So all you actually require is a convertor jack.
    I have one. Yours for only Rs 999/-
    :p
    But strictly I think you should be able to get it from any electrical hardware store. Or atleast those guys can tell you where you would get it.

5. thepacifist2013

@alpha1 : I'm not talking about feedback. I used headphones :) I'm talking about the signal bleed that is usual when you are using a cheap sound card in full-duplex mode.

Rs. 999 for a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter? Is this not a typo? Could you plz post a link to this adapter somewhere?

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL, that was just a way of saying that I cannot part with it.

7. duranta_de

duranta_de New Member

As per my knowledge 1/4 to 1/8 adapter or converter comes in Rs. 35 to 100. I dont think its that costly.

The main drawback using the Laptop input(mic) is there is only one input. you may not require a external mic and directly use the laptop mic. but the sound does not come good. So first you got to record guitar connecting to the laptop and then the vocal or vice versa...you can have a good mic to record both but that wont help much..for the same reason i bout one m audio just few days back though its damm costly for me..u can look for some cheaper ones..another way to record might be put your mic and guitar into amp and then the amp output to your laptop. there are lots of recording software also. i use audacity.

8. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

Great, thanks guys.

@duranta - I'm gonna use Audacity.
    @alpha - The electrical hardware shops around NIBM are shyte, have tried. Jackasses have just opened up stores, stacked them up, and stand around hoping for someone to buy bulbs. They dont know anything about 1/4 or a 1/8. M gonna have to go to MG rd tonite and do the hunting there.

9. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

Do you mean Line6 TonePort??? I was considering it seriously at one point.

Now I wanna first experiment with low cost models first and evaluate if they need to be upgraded to something like the TonePort (UX costs 8 grand). The effects of Credit Crunch.

10. thepacifist2013

Yep I meant the line 6 toneport. If someone uses it, he can post his experience here.