Connect Electric Guitar to computer

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by devangpatel2004, Apr 14, 2007.

1. devangpatel2004

devangpatel2004 New Member

Hi guys,
    Can anyone help me out to connect my electric guitar to a computer?
    I have got an electric guitar and an amp. Actually i have downloaded a software called GuitarFX for the guitar effects. I want to use my computer as the guitar sound processer. What should i do and how should i start?
    I am a bit confused.
    Waiting for ur replies..
    Cheers!
    Devang.

2. DagMX

DagMX New Member

you'll need a decent DI system or a good soundcard with low latency.
    Good cheap DI systems are toneports from line6 or the stealthplug from IK multimedia.

3. saurabhrocks

saurabhrocks New Member

u don't need di's here they may be gud, but u need them when the wire's too long(i hope u'll not sit 500m away from ur computer)

u need a preamp, to control the sound and then into ur pc.

i have very limted knowledge abt electric guitars. i am telling u on basis of acoustic guitars,

search the net for articles. it is better than getting confused here.

4. AceRoom

AceRoom Future Grammy Winner

Best thing to do, go buy a multi-effects processor. Computers are great but you won't get results as good as if you use an actual processor unless you use good components which are probably more expensive than a real pedal. Besides, computers have limited use and no mobility.
    Either way, you have to spend money. If you want to get out of spending money, can't help you...

5. jetru

jetru New Member

well obviously he doesnt plan on using the comp as a serious effects processor, but just for fun.

I suppose he could just connect the cable to the line in port and pass the output to his speakers...

6. samarthgupta

samarthgupta New Member

just buy a guitar compter cable.....thats the cheapest!!!!

7. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

get a guitar lead cable nd a phones (female)-to-stereo (male) jack nd stuff it in2 da line-in port of ur pc

8. mohitmaddy007

mohitmaddy007 New Member

use ur comp as a guitar processor

yah u cn easily use ur comp as a processor
    jst plug in ur guitar wire into the mic slot of ur computer
    n connect ur amplifier wd computer not wd ur guitar......k
    swich on ur FX BOX ........... it vil wrk

9. adipathak20

adipathak20 New Member

well i hav sm different isshu...... i connect my guitar through line in......... i can record it n thn listen 2 it.......... bt i don't get monitoring.........
    can sm1 help me with how 2 pass guitar line in to comp spickerss through software????????

10. adipathak20

adipathak20 New Member

wht do u mean by ur second post.........?????? connecting my guitar 2 a comp may affet the guitar?????????

11. UD_Tech

UD_Tech New Member

So mate basically u need to get to
    1. Latency
    2. Hgh/Low Z input
    3. AD DA conversion

for latncy and AD DA conversion u need a usb guitar interface ASIO compatible like Behringer UCG 102, UCA 202, m-audio usb interfaces(but they are EXPENSIVE)
    For Impedance solutions u need a DI box
    and i would suggest a preamp before feeding the input from ur guitar to ur interface coz guitars send out what u say very imperfect output signals.
    N Use good softwares like Amplitube n Guitar Rig5

Cheers.