Confused!!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by lazy_headbanger, Apr 29, 2009.

1. lazy_headbanger

lazy_headbanger New Member

An getting my first guitar effects processor in a month or two. budget is about 14k and i play only metal. the main purpose is to have good recording quality and as tweakable effects as possible cause i want my own sound outta it as i concentrate on originals.
    got myself stuck on the Floor POD plus but an confused with it's recording capabilities.so help me out. Also if there is any better thing for me, lemme know!

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Look into getting an analogue pedal and a recording interface if it's in your budget. If you wanna concentrate on originals then go out and sample a few pedals if possible, and through your amp would be best.

If you don't intend to use an amp then probably one of the multi FX would be a better choice since distortion+amp modeler+recording interface could get expensive.

3. lazy_headbanger

recording interface....ouch!
    i think the only option would be a multiFX and a decent soundcard for the PC.what say?

Also, the floor POD plus has MIDI in and out. So, can it give me good quality without involving a mixer in between.i mean [ POD->soundcard->record->happy/sad ??]
    i have seen the PODXt live with USB recording and i was blown away but its way off my budget right now.

4. thehundredthone

What decent soundcard? An SBLive? Forget it. You'll want a soundcard meant for recording, which has ASIO support. You'll also need good recording software. Audacity won't cut it for really good recording, because you'll want to be able to eq before you start recording.

MIDI is not going to help record. MIDI interfaces help you operate other instruments etc, they don't carry actual sound information.

So make sure you do some good research on the recording capabilities of the Floor POD before buying.

5. Harsh Kumar

Harsh Kumar The Official IGT Jester

I use a Maya soundcard, and Nuendo for recording. I get pretty decent stuff.
    For tweakablity, get a processor with a good compressor, isolator , mods and easy editable patches. n you can directly record with your guitar plugged into the sc!

6. lazy_headbanger

Progress report:
    Floor POD plus ain't for home recording plus the reviews arn't all that satisfying.
    The Zoom G2.1u has a USB recording interface. no other MultiFX i found in my budget with it.

The Zoom is pretty cheap for the price, any idea about the whole package??
    i mean the quality of the effects, tweaking etc. Am not a god guitarist but make a lot of experimental metal stuff...u know, theory twists and turns! Is it a fine deal??

7. Harsh Kumar

g2.1u has k effects.

zoom707II has gr8 tweakability.

can't really say much !!

8. lazy_headbanger

dude, i think the 707 is discontinued and am on the verge of saying that the "LINE6 FLOOR POD PLUS" is not for me for now.

Need opinion on this decision!
    Buy the Zoom G2.1u for now, record with it, play it live (hope i find some like minded musicians soon).
    Start saving up for the PODXT Live (finishing my studies soon) and buy it early next year!!??

9. distorted

distorted satan

If u plan to change, can go fr zoom fr nw... But i wont give positive reviews fr zoom... At least fr the G2.1u, 707 ws better.

10. lazy_headbanger

SuperShittyDamn!!
    I think i should wait for a couple of months and go for the XT Live straightaway rather than spending 5.8 grand. and record through my faithful amp for now!!
    I know i am being cheap but maybe it'll give me time for more experimentation and clean my hand at FLstudio maybe.

Thanks for the help guys!!
    PEACE

11. Harsh Kumar

g2.1u has k effects.

zoom707II has gr8 tweakability.

can't really say much !!

12. thehundredthone

It's a good idea to wait. The g2.1u is okay, but that's all it is. The effects are good but it's not really meant for recording (although again, home recording doesn't require all that much tweakability)

If you can save up for a POD XT Live or similar (GNX3000, G9.2tt, Boss ME50? I dunno) then that will be much better for you in terms of versatility and quality.

I must say that most processors are good, it's a matter of taking enough time with them to tweak the sound. I can get pretty decent sounds out of my 707II, the lead guitarist of The Schickados gets some amazing tones out of it too. (at least I think he was using one) Unless you're the type that chooses a metal drive, maxes out the gain scoops all the mids and then calls the sound too scratchy or whatever.

If you can get a high end proc nothing like it. But I would also say if you can get a high end proc you could think of buying individual pedals too - a drive, eq, delay and build from there. In the meanwhile look into NI Guitar Rig, some decent effects that you could probably record with if you have an ASIO enabled sound card.

13. thepacifist2013

thepacifist2013 V.I.P Member

If you want, you can buy a used Digitech RP500 off me. I use it's USB interface with my laptop and it's quite satisfactory to me. The drivers on Digitech's site allow pretty low latency. I don't remember in milliseconds, but enough for you not to notice it any latency AT ALL !

It would fit in your budget. Tonally, I find both the pedal and amp-modelling to be very interesting. I would not say it sounds 100% like a Mesa, but maybe 95-99%. To the point that if you leave aside Mesa engineers, noone else would be able to tell the difference.
    The best part is it's got the preset-mode and pedalboard-mode. Switching it off/on enables you to go from using the 5 switches to switch between presets, to switching individual pedals on and off, just like you would on a pedalboard.

It's got a headfone out when you want to practice quietly.
    Tone-wise, it gets you "there" easily. Features-wise, I have yet to find a feature which is commonly required but not avbl in the RP500.
    You can follow more about it on the website.

PM me if you're interested.