Compressors

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by alpha1, May 31, 2006.

1. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Why config do you actually prefer for using the compressors?
    And why .....

1. Guitar => Compressor => Overdrive/Distortion
    or
    2. Guitar => Overdrive/Distortion => Compressor

My preference is for the second one, especially coz it retains the distortion dynamics.

So the picking intensity or guitar volume pot decides the amount of distortion and compressor keeps the output volume even.
    Though, most of the times I have seen ppl using it other way round.

Can anyone list out pros and cons?

+ Which analog compressor would be good. Currently am using my KORG processor's compressor.

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

I have stupid mobile phone...I am planning to get a new one...Instead of giving away this stupid phone on exchange, can I use it as a compressor :beer: :beer: ....

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

:shock:
    I dunno.

Well how is the Boss Compressor?
    Any reviews etc. Heard that it sux tone blah blah.
    What are personal experiences?

And yeah atleast temme about your preferred config.

4. ronnieanand

I dont have a Compressor....I have this stupid mobile phone....

I guess Sanjeev Das uses a compressor..I am not sure which make is that...Maybe wait for his feedbacks...

5. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Barber Tone Press

6. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Compressor or Compression Sustainer?

As Ronnieanand said, I do use one, but its a Compression Sustainer, and not compressor. I use the Boss CS-3. I have seen most people use this, and its supposed to be a good one, I'm satisfied. I don't usually use it to change the attack or anything, just for the twang in the notes, signal boost,and some sustain.

I, and all the people I have seen use this, always use this unit right after the guitar, and before all other pedals. If you check any processor too, the sequence always goes - Gain ---> Compressor / Limiter --> distortion ---> modelling---> modulation --> etc. So right after the guitar it is for me. I use guitar ->CS-3--> Wah-->TS7-->OD2-->Chorus--> Delay. I still have to play around with the Wah, it sucks some tone, so maybe it could come before the CS3.

Also, I use the compressor on my processor too, and I have not found it to be lacking in any respect. On my CS3 I have an option to change the attack parameters, but I won't say its too great a feature. So if you are using your Korg's processor, tweak it and you will surely find a sound you like.

7. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I knew the stress was getting to u!

8. ronnieanand

And you are worser without anything getting on to u :beer: :beer: :beer: . That needs to be appreciated...

9. ronnieanand

And what is a Compression Sustainer that is not a Compressor...Both are the same just different names to it...Some companies even call it a Squish Pedal...

10. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

I used to think the same. Until someone in this forum enlightened me in one particular thread on compressors degenerating the signal into a squeal towards the end, vis a vis the CS providing sustain at a balanced output level. I have not played a compressor, so I would not really know.

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Thanks for the response but
    Ah, you didnt answer more important question - Why?

Why do you keep the compressor infront of your drive pedal?
    Aint you actually killing the overdrive dynamics when you do that?

Asfar as I know, the purpose of compressor (actually called compander = compressor + exapnder) is to level out the output volume.

Levelling output volume is not equal to levelling out overdrive dynamics.

12. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

I don't know the intricacies. But putting the sustainer after the distortion makes the sound noisy in my case, and does not sound good, the distortions sound flat, no tone types. So without knowing the inside dope, I found out CS works the best kept before all other pedals.

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

:shock:
    But then ..... if you compress your tone by using a compressor IN front of overdrive, wont the distortion sound flat?
    Thats what I experienced, no matter how hard/soft you pick the distortion still sounded the same.

On the other hand, when I kept the compressor after overdrive, the drive sounded "organic" and much resposnsive. Plus having a compressor after wards improved the sound levels (usually higher drive results in higher sound volume too)

You point about noise is correct though.
    Compressor, after an overdrive, WILL/DOES sound noizy!

14. ronnieanand

Compressors and Sustainers are the same....Basically both are levelling out the dynamics. In the process of levelling, the signal gets sustained too.. Compressors can get you a note to sustain infinitely or even make it to feed a lot. It just depends on how you use your fingers...If you know the things, you can get a note to sustain, make it feed and then get it back to a sustained note...

15. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

Actually there was something that was getting on to me-----YOU!!! :p:

16. Guitar boy

Guitar boy New Member

https://www.tweakheadz.com/compressors.htm
    May be you would have already visited this, but may be of some help to u.

I understand in this way.

Compressors can be tweaked in both ways, 1. Levelled output, no matter what dynamics you play.

2. Unlevelled output, but in some ratio with dynamics you play.
    Say your dynamics are scaled from 1 to 10 db.. Compressed output can be of some 3 to 7db or however you configure thresholds.

Dont trash me if I talk nonsense, I haven't seen or touched a compressor ;)

17. ronnieanand

Suit Yourself....

18. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Can you tell me how to get a feeback using a Boss CS-3 compression sustainer? And what are the Things I need to know to get my CS-3 to do this?

19. ronnieanand

I will tell you how to feed a note. Compressors make it happen quick. It can be done without compressors too. When you strike a note, do a slight vibrato and then do a quarter bend or a very small bend and just hold the note. This will make the note to feed and after do quick finger vibrato to get the feedback to sustain or you can even control this feedback by bending. Basically after that small bend, you have to wait for about 1 or 2 seconds to get feed actually catch up. Without that thing and just with the vibrato, the note will sustain. At least this is how I do it. Maybe there are other methods too...At gig volumes, any note will just easily go to a feed without any extra thing.. But the quarter bend method works all the time and I also used it a few of my gigs without any difficulties...