Composed, written, sung and guitar played by me

Discussion in 'IGT Soundtrack - Your Band, Your Gig, Your Music' started by aryasridhar, Feb 24, 2012.

1. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

2. Vader

Vader New Member

nice one!
    what software/hardware did you use?

3. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

Thank you Vader, Glad you liked it....
    I used Adobe Audition, Audio Technica AT2020USB mic, played it through my Taylor.

4. Vader

Vader New Member

Audio Technica AT2020USB mic just for voice or guitar as well
    how did you get it so perfectly balanced
    like sometimes the guitar overpowers voice
    or you cant really get the distinct notes
    so what did you do to reduce disturbance?
    like sound proofing?

5. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

AT2020USB for both vocals and guitar.....

I had recorded the same song a few days back and it was totally messed up, as the guitar was overshadowing the vocals as I was using just one mic and was recording while playing the guitar and singing at the same time...That was because I kept the mic just about 10 inches away from the guitar, and the front of the mic was pointing towards the 12th fret of my guitar...and it was picking more guitar less vocals.....But the guitar it picked up was AWESOME....Loved it....

So this time I kept the mic not pointing straight at the guitar, This mic does not pick up sounds from the back at all, it just picks up from the front and a little from the sides.....So i placed the mic angled towards my mouth, in a way it was capturing both the guitar and my vocals......had to try different angles before i got it right........that way I got it to capture a balanced guitar and vocals.

My DAW, does not let me use 2 inputs, e.g. the AT2020 and another mic, say the laptop inbuilt mic, that would have made it much more easier to record things........I do not own an Audio Interface, that would have made it easier too.....

After the recording I took noise samples, and reduced it to just about the right levels so it didn't compromise the character of the tone...
    Then added some reverb, some EQ.

The recording was done in my bedroom, which does not have any sound proofing etc, but I did this at 4am, so there was no noise, no external things to interfere with the mic, I always use super low levels on my mic, and then use tools to amplify or add effects that boost the volume....so that helps in picking very less external noise etc....

Beware - Noise Reduction can really screw up the entire clip if not done properly.....It can kill the track and you will start hearing some weird noises.

So post recording, I recorded another track for the lead guitar part, and panned etc, to get it to sound the way it does in the clip.....
    Then the mixer in audition to balance out the sound properly......and then bounced the track......

Hope this helps...

nandy0894 likes this.
  6. nandy0894

nandy0894 New Member

thats a perfectly balanced song..!
    very nice...and engaging lyrics
    w8ing for more.. :)

reps!

7. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

I liked the lead play, specially the way it was distributed throughout. And good lyrics too.
    Somewhere around 1:45, vocal's bit offscale i guess?
    And, good quality. My way of achieving equal distribution is by adjusting our own distance from the mic !
    I do have a question. We bought a mic (not the very costly one, around 280 bucks), but it doesn't catch the guitar sound at all. I mean zero, even with mic boost. It gives a slight volume if the mic cover is removed and it is in contact with the guitar body, but at the cost of equally irritating noise. Also, vocals have to be recorded with the mic too close to the mouth (around 1").
    How much did your mic cost?
    Reps!

8. horsesmouth

For my last song I recorded it in audacity, and I must say it has a complicated interface. Then I used goldwave for editing, it was easier, shape type noise reduction. With some Echo instead of reverb. Somehow I couldn't manage a good reverb (?)
    My question is what EQ settings do you use? It slipped my mind to do that. Mine has too much bass.

9. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

Thank You Nandy :) Glad you liked it......I have a stupid question for you, What does reps mean?

10. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

Thank you for liking the song man, Highly appreciate your time listening in to it....:)

Your mic needs a pre-amp, that will solve the problem you are facing, but keep in mind good preamps are expensive, maybe in the 10k range, I heard and read a lot of good things about the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2..sells for about 10k.
    A friend got the mic for me from the US, It was $100.

Too much bass in an acoustic guitar track can be due to the following in my experience,
    1) If the mic is placed closer to the soundhole (thats the point where most of the bass is produced)
    2) If the mic itself has bassy characteristics, in this case or in general a mic should be placed facing around the 12th fret.
    3) There isn't a prescribed spot to mic an acoustic guitar, so trial and error is the best way to find the correct spot where the dry signal is balanced.
    4) If the dry signal itself has too much bass, it can be corrected using an EQ, however as the original signal is bassy, it may throw out the overall sound out of balance....you know what i mean? But it can be done....

I almost always try to get a balanced dry signal, and then my EQ is more or less like a swing between trees "Think Hammock - with people on it" with a little hump in the middle for mids...just a little..
    and I feel that audacity is the simplest recording software to use IMO....:)

Hope this helps man.....

11. nandy0894

nandy0894 New Member

haha
    arree..reps is... umm ..reputation points..if you like some one's post..you rep them ..see the black star on the left under you signature?
    you can click on it and add to the user's reputation ..more the reps more popular the user gets.
    umm ... i guess i kinda explained..well i tried to...
    nyways..just think k "tarif kinds hoti hai"

p.s. u r welcome...and it wasn't a stupid ques. but m sorry for answering it stupidly.. ^_^

12. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

Thank you man :) I got it now :)

13. nandy0894

nandy0894 New Member

im a woman >_<

a girl i mean

14. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

Woops, Sorry --- Thank you lady :)

15. nandy0894

nandy0894 New Member

lol
    apology accepted :)

16. horsesmouth

...haha...i can't believe it happened again...probably you should change your title or siggy to 'I'm a girl'

17. nandy0894

nandy0894 New Member

i am seriously thinking to do that
    but i dun seem to understand WHYYYYYYY everyone here takes me for a guy..
    ok not everyone..but still..!!

18. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member

hey are u frm south especially bengaluru aryasridhar?????have heard many people sayin man man....initially i found it a bit irritating coz people who are from north have the habit of telling arreey..yaar....but its okay.....and yeah just loved the song...hey i have adobe soundbooth..havent tried it...or ummm aaahhh i dont know how to use it...especially how to merge two songs....as in rhythm part and lead part.....when played one at a time....and 4rm where did u buy the adobe mic....is that a full sized mic or just a hole (like in laptops) and do i have to install soundcard to enhance the quality of the sound????...

19. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Good job man!!! U hav added some really cool riffs in between the song!!! And they jell well with the rhythm!!!