Composed a song and need help

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by somendra_guitar, Aug 2, 2005.

1. somendra_guitar

somendra_guitar New Member

hey ppl,
    guess what i have composed a song..........
    i wanna share it with u but........
    unfortunately i don't have any means of recording available...........
    could you ppl suggest me a way that i can record my work in the most inexpesive way............
    P.S.:: i can't even plug my guitar into my comp.

i have a semi-electric guitar.
    a comp. P4
    ram 256 mb
    sound card -intel (r) 82801BA/BAM AC'97

2. akkyy21

akkyy21 #%@!$&

3. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

just get a microphone at a cost as low as Rs.50..;),,And you are done..:)

4. arunrx

arunrx Banned

Tell why are you not able to plug in ur guitar to ur comp? You don't have cables or your pick up doesn't work?
    If your pick up doesn't work, then purchase a mic as nik told.

I guess your sound card has got 1/8" for input / mic plug. (1/8" is the jack you will see in walkman's, most of the headphones). The guitar cable will have 1/4" jack at both ends.
    In this case you purchase a 1/4" to 1/8" jack convertor.

Now you can plug in ur guitar to the sound card., and you should be having some audio software. Ask akkyy for the free software.

5. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

The best free (or even otherwise) software for recording wavs or MP3s has to be audacity .
    search it at download.com.
    like arun says.....get the jack and connect ur guitar to your line in...NOT your microphone....theres a reason for it..i forgot......
    anyhow u have to connect it to your line in....incase you dont have aline in (which is next to impossible) connect to ur mic jack
    dont forget to go to ur mixer and unmute ur line-in......
    choose your line-in s your recording device or what-you-hear (instead of microphone which is the default) if you are using any effects thru your comp.
    when u start audacity choose ur line in or what-you-hear as ur input....and play away......
    do post ur recording.
    BTW this is in the wrong forum, will be moved:)

6. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

mic works best ...
    record it as wave ... rip it to mp3 ...
    (better if u have a recording software which directly makes mp3) ...

otherwise use the microsoft recorder ... which makes wave file ... and get LAME encoder (open source) from net to convert it to mp3 (i think even winamp can do taht) ...

Mr. Scary likes this.
  7. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

hey Doc ...

i got this from one stage/gig technicians ... in fact i have also always seen this happen ...

the sound from the guitar should be picked up by the mic rather than taking the line out to the mixer ...

i guess mebbe the speaker cabinet attentuates/boosts certain frequencies ... + u have more control on the sound by the placement of the mic ...

like if u put mic closer to the speaker ... u'll get more bass ...

if u put mic closer to the center line ... u'll get more treble ... and those bass, treble adjustments are nearly imposs to get with EQ ...

second thing is this: u'll hear what is getting recorded ...

check google also ... they have some recording tips and mic placement suggestions ...

8. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

acually i prefer mic for accousic too.....but he has a semi accoustic....so wahtver sound he will be getting will be through the pick-up in which case he is better off connecting it into the line-in jack....
    otherwise for accoustics i agreee mics work like a charm....or even those piezo things...

9. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

recording by mikin an amp is probably the best way to go abt things if u are using an electric or
    an acoustic.
    given that u have a good mic,
    shure-sm57 is one of the best mics out there at a good price.

for now...
    audacity,
    connecting directly to the line in is ok.

10. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

man ...
    i was talking about solid body electric ... esp if u have distortion on ...

11. somendra_guitar

hey thanx all for ur response.......

@akky...........man gr8.......gud way to do it..........i think i'll do the same........!!

@nik.....ya i'll have to buy a mic in any case..!!

@arun.......ya my prob is the cable size one......so i'll buy a jack converter....
    !!

@dr saurabh........downloading audacity......
    ...................................btw i intentionally posted this here as if i had posted it in the beginner q & a ...then nobody wud have answered.......lolz

@ssslayer........ya i'm gonnado the same....!!

@dharmatma.............ya i'm gonna buy a decent mic ...but not an expensive one!!

@all................i've not completed...the song as yet......i think i'll one more para to it.......& i'll add some bridge tooo..........sum part of the chords is also to be figured out...........then i'll record it as soon as possible....& post it........till then wait...........

"intezar ka fal meetha hota hai"

12. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

welll that reminds me ...

i also havta buy a mic ...

hey do one more thing ... if possible ... try recording by mic as well as direct line in ...
    and if possible post both of 'em ... i would like to hear the diff ... (anyway it'll be a good learning stuff for all) ... and remember mic 2"-6" away from speaker ...

13. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

theres no fixed rule on how to mic the amps..
    whatever sounds good..however..loads of experinced engineers prefer to mic it 2-5 inches from the speaker..and move it abt and refer to what sounds best.

there are a lot of mikin techniques available..which are tried and tested.it will be a safe bet to use them.google mikin techniques..and if u want a little info tell me..i will post a few i know.

using a condenser mic works well for an acoustic..c1000s comes to mind,and shure sm57 is a great instrument mic.

@somendra--if u have 5-6ks..buy the shure sm-57 mic..its great.u will get it in any pro audio equipment store.

14. somendra_guitar

5 k .....no chance...........i'll buy a new guitar if i get 5 k.......lols :p: :p:

15. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

borrow a mic from a friend is according to me the best way to do it.

16. somendra_guitar

ya gud idea!!!!!!

17. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

hey u still havent posted your recording ...

we all are waiting ...

18. somendra_guitar

i'll post it as soon as get some time for recording