Common problems.

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons, Tutorials & Tips' started by bob-bobby, Mar 14, 2005.

1. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

Problems that show up frequently among beginners include confusion, discomfort, and rashes in in places that normally only your washcloth sees. Well, maybe not the rashes. But let's look at some of the mental blocks we create as we begin learning guitar:

- not seeing progress
    - feeling overwhelmed by too much material
    - not seeing the purpose of an exercise
    - feeling like you're not making music

What do you do when you have an idea or picture of the kind of skill you want to have, but don't see yourself moving quickly enough to that picture? What do you do when you've been working on the same tune for the past several weeks, and your playing of it doesn't sound any better now than it did when you started?

Here are a couple of viewpoints on this problem. One involves the possibility that you truly have not improved your playing. You are somehow blocking yourself from performing the fingerwork needed to make the song sound as it should. Maybe your pinky is getting in the way of your third finger, or maybe the C note never fully sounds when you play the C major chord during one part of a tune.

When you see these errors happening, devote 100% of your attention to watching your fingers move as they come to the trouble parts. Ask yourself questions like, "Are only the fingers that are supposed to be fretting notes doing the fretting, or is there extra, unnecessary movements in here that are getting in the way?" When you study your fingers moving into a problem spot, slow down the movement as much as you can stand it, and then slow it down some more, so you can see exactly what's happening.

You can get past technique blocks by asking similar questions: "what parts of my hand *and* body need to be loose or tense here? Is there unnecessary tension in my shoulder or other area?"

2. Liquid

Liquid New Member

been there done that..

nice post :D

3. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

not play for a day or two...always works.

4. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

agree with 6string....100%
    ive experienced that....

5. Liquid

Liquid New Member

"always" works?..

u sure about the ALWAYS? :p

6. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Yes. I can testify to that. Not playing for a couple of days after a tough practice session will ALWAYS improve your playing.

7. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

see...it does work ALWAYS :p:

8. shak

shak Harrr!

yeah same with me ... if i dont pick ma axe for a day or two ..(very rarely tho) ... the next time i pick it up, i go crazy ... i come out with tunes that i wouldnt have even thougt of in my dreams ... it is very strange but true

9. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

^^i don't find anything strange about it...

@liquid, yea!

10. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Exactly. It makes perfect sense. Your brain and your fingers need some time to get used to the new movements you are learning. When you make weird stretches, you are essentially straining your finger muscles. When you don't play for a while you give your muscles time to rebuild which is why you can play better after a gap of a few days.

11. leo_by_nature

leo_by_nature New Member

@death_metal_fan -> Thats the most sense a death metal fan has ever made to me. :D
    No offense intended ofcourse.

12. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

Isnt it amazing to know dat. Happened to me too. 2 days of rest and when i pick up my guitars, i am like ...whoa~!! am a rock star! :p:

13. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Yeah.. happened to novices like me 2...
    Try as I might, I couldnt get Come As You Are for I dunno like whole 2 days... then, like, I didnt play at all for 2 days.. and today, I nailed it...

14. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

they say its the sleep
    u are supposed to recall every thing learned during the day while you sleep

15. zafarkhan4u

zafarkhan4u New Member

Problems with Guitar ***Need Help - URGENT***

Hi,

I have a Spanish Guitar which i just bought a month ago, it was working fine... i started looking at this site, downloaded and printed few tabs for few good Hindi Tracks & started playing them, it was all working good... and i dont know what happened to it but the "G" & "e" String was not playing correctly. if i pluck the "e" string without fretting it makes a weird sound however if i frett on it then it works fine and the "G" String if i'm pressing on the 2nd or 3rd frett it also makes a weird noise, i'm the only one who plays the guitar and i dont know why its not working the way it should, i tried tuning it and i made it worse now the "G" & "e" do not produce the sound they are suppose to produce, i get sound only if i'm fretting on 5,6,7 and so on... however if i frett on 1-4 it does not make any difference, i'm scared that it will spoil the other string also, they have already started misbehaving a little.... what do i do????

Please email your advise to zafarkhan4u@gmail.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
    Zafar Khan.

16. alienroar

alienroar 6 string fanatic

3 things about that:

1. Wrong thread. always start new thread if u got any question and not found answer in other posts.
    2. y the fk ppl give there email ids on forums. smone need to spam his mail maybe.
    3. finally about problem... its fret buzz.. happens smtimes coz of climate change as wood expands or contracts according to temperature and moisture. go to a guitar repair shop and they can generally fix it by adjusting the Truss Rod.

17. PrakashChatterj

PrakashChatterj New Member

Some common problem face by every one like money, respect, values. These are commons. I am also facing these. There is no solution of these problems.