combo amps:laney or randall

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by petermasc, Sep 6, 2006.

1. petermasc

petermasc New Member

hi
    is anyone using a randall or a laney amp? please give your over here,coz i'm planning to buy one.just sold my digitech rp300 got some cash in hand....
    only thing left is to sell my kustom sound 40r cube.
    i was thinking of buying an amp of around 30-40rms,they are much easier to carry around.was considering a laney mxd 65 but the size made me think twice..
    tried the smaller laney mxd 30 and found that there is a very noticable difference between the 2 laneys,maybe because of the celstion speaker.how are randall amps? visited bharatmusichouse.com...........big price differnce between laneys and randalls.i am not interested in the effects that come with the amp.gain on laneys are ideal for a tone a la paranoid and stuff,you can almost dial in the exact tone in for that kind of stuff.but i was not exactly impressed with the gain level/tone sounds a bit plastic.i was thinking about a fender amps too............. my perception about fender :small amps decent gain but i never got to fart around with the tone knobs etc so cant really judge.........

so please help me decide betweeen
    the foll
    randall rx 30/vmx 30
    laney mxd 30/hcm 30(i think thats the model no of the amp without effects)
    fender frontman 25r

let me know if anyone is interested in my kustom sound cube.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

What about Marshalls?
    Didnt like the tone?

3. petermasc

petermasc New Member

i did not like the amount of gain you get from the mg series(30 dfx).besides furtados over here say they dont stock marshalls here as the do not move as quickly as laneys,on the other hand i had tried out the marshall at a friends place through a java and the marshall was a 15cdr.dont know how it will sound through my kramer.another friend of mine bought a marshall from oman, dont remember which model but the gain on that was poor and had a constant hum.....i do remember it had an o/p 12rms.

4. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

dint like the amount of gain...........hmmmmmm wht the hell can u xpct frm the 15 watt baby tht too a shitty cdr with indian speakers moreover........bhargavas just xactly stox marshalls ...try the 30 watt version n see........I bet ull love it....oh n take ur axe oer there to get the exact feel of what ull be sounding back home.....also chk www.bajaao.com for rates or buy frm thm they r gud people withgr8 rates n stuff........Hope tht helps.

5. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

Yes, check bajaoo...

marshall 15cdr has solid lovely rock distortion. Simply love it. Hello Ronnie, where are ya? [:p]

6. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

played on laney when i went to buy my axe
    loved it
    mxd85 as far as i remember
    had almost every conceivable effect that can be fitted into an amp

7. Double Click

Double Click New Member

What sort of music do u play?

8. petermasc

petermasc New Member

i play rock/metal/blues. was reding reviews on the marshall 30cdr but the common short coming of the amp seems to be its low volume & gain levels.
    what about randalls?

9. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

randall was dime's amp of choice.

another problem with the marshall mg30 (supposedly) is that the fan can get louder than the amp at low volumes :x

10. petermasc

petermasc New Member

hahaha
    good one,did you know if you plug a mic into a kustom sound amp and turn the reverb upto 2 it sounds as if aliens are landing,the other day my amp started picking up some conversation that was going on some tv channel,despite the tv being off.

11. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

o_0

supernatural!

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Though I havent had any experiece on ether Laney or Randall, have heard much more about Laney.

13. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Good things or Bad things,alpha ?

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

But then I guess the things are about large amps, not the practice ones, so doesn't make any diff.
    :-|

Anyway, I would like Randall for its (supposedly) more aggressive tone.

15. Double Click

Double Click New Member

The Laney MXD series is good for what u want.

The Marshall MG's are decent and have some good tones..... If u know how to use em.
    But The MG's suck for high gain stuff and they have too much hiss for single coils.

16. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell