cleaning guitar neck

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by guitarboy_anand, Jul 14, 2006.

1. guitarboy_anand

guitarboy_anand MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD

I bought a GB&A HSS recently .
    now on whatever frets i play regularly have gone black from sweat and dust(you cannot prevent in india).any good neck cleaner you guys know please let me know with its price and location .
    help will be appreciated.

2. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

i hav da same guitar incidentally
    nd lots of ppl hav dis problem
    plz help guruz

3. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

i have a Gb&A HsH
    my neck is the same expet the edges have gon a little faded color.

loosen all the strings
    clean the fret board using a plain cloth.
    thats wt i do.

4. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

Get a Guitar Cleaning polish . you'll find them in any musical Instrument store.
    Once you get that , Untie all the strings so you have the fretboard completely free and then clean the fretboard . Clean your strings as well , the polish will do the rest.

If you want to Make your guitar's body SHINE LIKE A CRAZY DIAMOND . Then get some Wood Polish(Wax) and clean the body .

5. guitarboy_anand

guitarboy_anand MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD

thx alfons and ujsen

what i did was i cleaned the neck with my after-shave .the neck shines like new .(the alcohol content cleans it..)

just remember not to do the same with the body of the guitar .it will corrode the polish.

6. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Dont do that again...
    The best thing to do is wipe your guitar with a soft cloth after every use....even a small bedroom practise....Occasionaly you can use a warm
    damp cloth.. make sure the cloth is just damp and not SLOGGING wet.... you can also use a little Naphata on a piece of cloth and wipe in circular motion lifting of the dirt...but use it very very carefuly as it is Super inflamable.... I got these tips from DAN EARLWINE'S Guitar Player Repair Guide... Do also get your self some guitar polish

7. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

u will find guitar cleaners at ne guitar store!!!!!!!!!!Though u can can use Buff UP manufactured by Amway!!!!!!Its a furniture cleaner!!!!!!!I thought wat da heck my guitar is wooden so used it on my accoustic and it shining lyk a newly bought guitar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Actually i had bought da guitar only a week earlier!!!!!!!!!!!!!It works pretty well!!!!!!!

8. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

All u need top make sure is that the polish does not have any silicon..... So in a way most stuff that you use to polish or buff will work.. you just need to make sure they dont have Silicon... by the way there is a diff between Polishing your guitar and cleaning it.. dont mix the two terms... You do get all-in-one liquids for guitars that polish and clean...

9. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

don't use after shave or anything having spirit in it to clean wood. it takes away the moisture from the wood.
    also i dpon't think that loosening all the strings and then cleaning the neck would be too good an option for accoustics. that might change the shape of the next.
    in accoustic guitars the strings exert a certain amount of tension on the neck which keeps the neck in place rly. dats why while changing accoustic guitar strings u don't take off all the strings at the same time.

10. Johny Bravo

Johny Bravo The Boy Genius!

Lolz I was about to say so, but u admitted it. Its a good repair guide btw. I learnt a lot from there. Also, it is silicone, not silicon that hurts the wood. There are actually some silicones that dont have any silicon in them at all :p. They have carbon or germanium instead.

I dont think that is much of a problem, removing the strings. I take off all the strings while cleaning the fretboard. Cleaning it with the strings on might be a PIA. Removing the strings doesnt hurt the neck that much. Just use some support under the neck while cleaning. And when u restring it, leave it alone for about a day or two, so that the neck can back get to equilibrium. Nothing to worry about, trust me.

11. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

a good neck cleaner?? i have never heard something like that.

Just remove the strings and clean the fretboard. How good the shine of your guitar neck or body longs depends on what quality (or brand) the guitar is.

12. Johny Bravo

Dude look up GHS Fast Fret cleaning system. Its an awesome thing. My friend here has been using it for 13 yrs, and his guitar neck is like......... ooh la la... I literally trip over playing on his acoustic, and its saying something. Awesome thing, and dirt cheap if u can find it. Rock on.

13. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

@johnny:
    dunno i didnt have enuf courage to do that after reading in the about.guitar.com string changing tuts

14. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

oh btw
    the first time i was changing strings i went thru the string changing tuts on the net for over 5 hrs
    he he

15. Johny Bravo

^^^ I went through em for about a week daily spending abt 6 - 7 hrs. At the end I found out the easiest way was to simply remove the old ones, and put on the new ones. Lolz... Rock on.

Another tip for changing strings from B.B. King: Wrap all of the string's length on the tuning peg (Cut about 15cm from the low E and A, as they are thick, and look ugly when wrapped that way). It might sound like a tedious job, but well worth it. Advantage: Longer sustain, and strings dont go outta tune once stretched, no matter how much u bend.

16. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Get a Good String Cleaner like Dunlop Formula 65 or GHS Fast Fret. That will keep your strings smooth and long lasting. Use a Guitar Polish from Dunlop and that will keep your guitar body shining. I dont use the guitar polish, infact I dont even clean my guitar body. The uglier it looks, the better it is..I love the worn out faded looks.

17. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

how much do these polishes cost?

18. Johny Bravo

www.musiciansfriend.com

See for urself. GHS Fast Fret costs abt $5, while Dunlop Formula 65 is also around that. And they last forever... Worth wayyyy more than their prices..

19. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Dan Earlwine's book is a Fantasic book I keep recomending it to guitar players... Infact it was after readingDan Earlwine's book and Melvyn Hiscock' Make your own electric guitar that convinced me not to go in for the Floyd rose .Thanks for the correction I did not know that their was a diffrence...