Classification of music into genres

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by DrSaurabh, Nov 25, 2004.

1. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

i was wondering what exactly is rock...what is pop...basically all the diff genres we have...and then i started thinking...are there any "textbook" definitions of any of these generes..what does one mean when they say..my songs have a lot of pop in them...or thats a bluesy tune....
    how does one classify rock into its subgroups...or
    simply put..how is music classified into genres

PS:just so the title might not change the title of this thread was "Classification of music into genres" and was posted in the music talk forum

2. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

I recommend you take a look here and here

3. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

Excellent detailed stuff there... wikipedia articles usually are quite ok...

Anyway, do take a look at the pop Vs rock thread in this board as well..

4. tejas

tejas ..........

But theres one problem with wikipedia. Anyone can edit any page. The other day i was reading up biographies and in dave mustaine's biography it said that he died of food poisioning on the 12th nov 2004. I was shocked. I didn't know what of make of it. Then, i went and check a few websites and megadeth's official webiste but found nothing. So, then i was wondering how they could make such a blunder, and realised that its easy to edit the page. Thank god for that. I was really scared.Anyway, thats just a tale i wanted to share. And good link death metal fan.

5. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

lol that is funny. Rest assured, I can testify that Mustaine is alive and kicking. I saw him on the 16th. :beer:

6. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

thx DMF....shouldnt someone post that here too...just in case....

7. tejas

tejas ..........

@DMF - Yeah, imagine the shock i got! Long live Mustaine!!

8. wolfblitz

wolfblitz New Member

mustaine is god

9. abhimanjrekar

abhimanjrekar ----> Zhol-Man<----

even i got myself cleared thx dmf...