Classical Indian Ragas On Guitar

Discussion in 'Hindi Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by Shashank007, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Shashank007

Shashank007 Extremist

I am Intrested in playing some classical Indian Ragas on Guitar. I does not know must about the rags but I am serching for it for a long time. I hope someone will help......... :nw:

2. jekyll

jekyll Banned

well it is tough ...

the ragas incorporate even more resolution than waht can be provide by guitar ...

that menas in guitar the minimum distance between two notes = semitone

in indian music the minimum distance is even lesser - so u wil havta incorporate string bending in your playing ...

it is diffucult ...

3. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

yeah some say the indian system has 147 tones...whoaaa!!!
    but neway...i got this from a site...
    this is raag... MADHUVANTI It's basic scale is as follows:

B C Eb F# G B C Ascending and
    C B A G F# Eb D C
    Descending, with C as the root or tonic.
    i havent tried it yet...i dunno whats with the reverse order stuff.....will check it out..

4. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

can we get more of the ragaas like taxyse has given above..??

5. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

i once heard this famous indian classical guitarist on radio.....man he was good..it wasnt even soundin a guitar...he was doin all those pin point bends...on an acoustic....was really soundin like a sitar minus the 'twang'...
    but i couldnt stand it much....he he
    i even heard ravi shankar say once 'ragas cannot be invented....some ppl claim to have invented a new raga...all they do is get a new scale.....a scale and a raga are two diff things....' dont know what he meant by that...

6. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

taxyse bhai plz plz give more of these ragas from whichever site u got .. plz plz plz
    or better still give the site name ..

7. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

as per yet...i havent found nething else even remotely connected to this stuff....but yeah i will give it a shot...

8. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

9. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

thx dyood .. u got raag mahuvanti frm this site too ?

(btw shitty colour choice on the site )

10. ak&guitar

ak&guitar THE INNER VOICE

11. acousticdreamer

acousticdreamer ΩUNPLUGGEDΩ

Raga Jog

Root note=C

Raga Jog:
    Bb-C-E-F-G-Bb-C-Ascend
    C-Bb-G-F-E-Eb-C-Descend

The Raga comes very close to our Minor Pentatonic Scale
    Only while descending is the b3rd note to be used...
    Enjoy!

12. jekyll

jekyll Banned

what is this funda of ascend and descend?
    :think:

13. acousticdreamer

@jekyll

Like for the melodic minor scale, there is a different ascend and descend, Indian classical Scales...or Ragas have specific rules of HOW a scale should be ascended/descended on.
    That's as simple as I can make it!

14. jekyll

jekyll Banned

hmmm

well who is stopping me from using the "descending" scale in actual ascending run ... n vice versa ???

and funda means is there any reason behind ascribing some notes for ascending and differnet for descending?

15. itwasnoteasy

itwasnoteasy E chord humka dede Thakur

superb thread man i added it to my favorites. thanks akguitar for finding that thread. i feel like if I spend all my life doing some research in this my journey will remain at start only. biiiiiiiig giig ocean :dance:

16. acousticdreamer

@jekyll

The people who formed these 'rules' were not dimwits. There was a certain deep knowledge that has given rise to such rules...
    Do you know that in Raga BHAIRAV, the second note of the scale is meant to be rendered in a CERTAIN way? It's called 'andolan'...it MAY roughly translate to a guitar vibrato...experts, correct me if I am wrong :

Breaking a certain rule in music only makes sense if you KNOW the rule in the first place!
    So, there.

17. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

^^jekyll is gone!!!

18. ak&guitar

ak&guitar THE INNER VOICE

itwasnoteasy.......

thanx dude.......... i know its like a big and deep ocean.music.................the deeper u go , u realize the lesser u know.......

be well.

19. mubeenhaidar

mubeenhaidar Banned

Ragas collection..

Hi all.
    i can see here a lot of interest is developing for Ragas. well here is the resource you are looking for, a comprehensive list of ragas with notes and suggested time to play, i.e morning raga, or evening raga.
    Notes are given for ascending as well as descending movement, which can be easily mapped to guitar fret..

Check>>> http://www.asavari.org/

I hope you all find it usefull. Enjoy classical.. :cool:

Thanks!

-Mubeen

20. Geoff M

Geoff M New Member

raga on guitar

The guitar is used to play raga. The instrument has been modified and is called a Mohan Veena. It is played with a slide. Best bet is to get some recordings and try to learn by ear. Good simple starting raga-s are Yaman and Hansdhooni. Good luck.