Classical Indian Ragas On Guitar

Discussion in 'Hindi Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by Shashank007, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Shashank007

Shashank007 Extremist

I am Intrested in playing some classical Indian Ragas on Guitar. I does not know must about the rags but I am serching for it for a long time. I hope someone will help......... :nw:

2. jekyll

jekyll Banned

well it is tough ...

the ragas incorporate even more resolution than waht can be provide by guitar ...

that menas in guitar the minimum distance between two notes = semitone

in indian music the minimum distance is even lesser - so u wil havta incorporate string bending in your playing ...

it is diffucult ...

3. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

can we get more of the ragaas like taxyse has given above..??

4. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

taxyse bhai plz plz give more of these ragas from whichever site u got .. plz plz plz
    or better still give the site name ..

5. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

thx dyood .. u got raag mahuvanti frm this site too ?

(btw shitty colour choice on the site )

6. ak&guitar

ak&guitar THE INNER VOICE

7. acousticdreamer

acousticdreamer ΩUNPLUGGEDΩ

Raga Jog

Root note=C

Raga Jog:
    Bb-C-E-F-G-Bb-C-Ascend
    C-Bb-G-F-E-Eb-C-Descend

The Raga comes very close to our Minor Pentatonic Scale
    Only while descending is the b3rd note to be used...
    Enjoy!

8. jekyll

jekyll Banned

what is this funda of ascend and descend?
    :think:

9. acousticdreamer

@jekyll

Like for the melodic minor scale, there is a different ascend and descend, Indian classical Scales...or Ragas have specific rules of HOW a scale should be ascended/descended on.
    That's as simple as I can make it!

10. jekyll

jekyll Banned

hmmm

well who is stopping me from using the "descending" scale in actual ascending run ... n vice versa ???

and funda means is there any reason behind ascribing some notes for ascending and differnet for descending?

11. itwasnoteasy

itwasnoteasy E chord humka dede Thakur

superb thread man i added it to my favorites. thanks akguitar for finding that thread. i feel like if I spend all my life doing some research in this my journey will remain at start only. biiiiiiiig giig ocean :dance:

12. acousticdreamer

@jekyll

The people who formed these 'rules' were not dimwits. There was a certain deep knowledge that has given rise to such rules...
    Do you know that in Raga BHAIRAV, the second note of the scale is meant to be rendered in a CERTAIN way? It's called 'andolan'...it MAY roughly translate to a guitar vibrato...experts, correct me if I am wrong :

Breaking a certain rule in music only makes sense if you KNOW the rule in the first place!
    So, there.

13. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

^^jekyll is gone!!!

14. ak&guitar

ak&guitar THE INNER VOICE

itwasnoteasy.......

thanx dude.......... i know its like a big and deep ocean.music.................the deeper u go , u realize the lesser u know.......

be well.

15. mubeenhaidar

mubeenhaidar Banned

Ragas collection..

Hi all.
    i can see here a lot of interest is developing for Ragas. well here is the resource you are looking for, a comprehensive list of ragas with notes and suggested time to play, i.e morning raga, or evening raga.
    Notes are given for ascending as well as descending movement, which can be easily mapped to guitar fret..

Check>>> https://www.asavari.org/

I hope you all find it usefull. Enjoy classical.. :cool:

Thanks!

-Mubeen

16. Geoff M

Geoff M New Member

raga on guitar

The guitar is used to play raga. The instrument has been modified and is called a Mohan Veena. It is played with a slide. Best bet is to get some recordings and try to learn by ear. Good simple starting raga-s are Yaman and Hansdhooni. Good luck.

17. gujuboy

gujuboy New Member

Can Any Send them in Sargam notation plz
    Thankz

18. pnamblat

pnamblat New Member

Dear Allm
    Interesting Topic.....
    Not sure whether this discussion is on playing chords or notes...

Notes:

Its very tough to play a raga (with all microtones) on a acoustic guitar, you can play only the notes of the raga which may give us "feel" for certain ragas like "Shivaranjani" or ragas with zigzag notes (Reethigowlai in Carnatic, miya ki malhar in Hindustani..) ..

There are 2 artists who play classical ragas on guitar
    1)Prasanna (www.guitarprasanna.com)
    2) U Srinivas ( he plays a improvised guitar eventhough he is known as Mandolin Srinivas).

Prasanna's site will give you details on how to play ragas on Guitar(hthere is a DVD also on sale showing it).

On Chords for Ragas:

For Ragas like Bilawal/Shankarabaranam , Yaman/Kalyani etc.. you play Major Chords depending on the pitch..

Certain ragas follow an interesting chord progression like Misra Shivaranjani..

Cm,Cmajor ,Fmajor ....

or jog/Nattai
    which also follows Progression from Minor to major chord instantly..

Hope this info helps

19. amogh_war

amogh_war New Member

ok the ascend and descend are basically aaroh and avroh and as far as i know ragaas are nothing but a combination of saa re gaa ma etc in a specific configuration which are unique to each of them.well to start with you can play the shankara bharanam which is basically played on the C ,D,E F and so on depending on how many frets your guitar has... scale with all the regular major notes....then there is nada bhairavi again played on any one of the scales but this time on the minor route...then you have the keeravani which is similar to nadabhairavi with just one change that the NI note is teevra instead of komal if you want more explanation or info just let me know.playing the raagas on the guitar is one of the best things you can do ...you just wont feel like letting go of your guitar...
    happy guitaring

20. Shashank007

Shashank007 Extremist

Thank's

Hay guy's visited IGT after a long time and foung my thread on the top, Thank's for the responce