"CLASSICAL GUITAR" Planning to buy

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by sDEVs, Mar 20, 2010.

1. sDEVs

sDEVs Inventor

I am planning to buy a classical guitar Nylon strung just for a change in feel & want for the soft & warm sound different from our daily steels...

Have searched & found out some Classical guitars avaliable in India
    (within my budget of ~6k) were:

YAMAHA C40 / C70 / CS 40

WALDEN C350 / C350CE

GRANADA PRCs

TAKAMINE (?)

CAN ANYONE PLZ HELP :help: REGARDING WHAT CAN I BUY, BUT AS PER MY OBSERVATION :shock: THERE'S A VERY LESS INFORMATION REGARDING CLASSICAL GUITARS, HOPE HERE I GET SOME VALUABLE INFO!!!
    :beer:

THANKS, plz help :Lighten:

2. sDEVs

sDEVs Inventor

7 views only...
    0 replies...

Surely may be there is little knowledge bout classical guitars...

3. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

C70 is fine, but the problem is that unless you learn classical guitar formally, you'll not get much out of it.

Anyway, just try them all out, and try many pieces of the same model, look for a piece with a warm sound and strong bass, and you're good to go.

4. sDEVs

sDEVs Inventor

I am playing guitar since 5-6yrs generally. but now have started playing classical & also have passed two Trinity Guildhall exams, so my intrest in classical playing has increased & hance thought of buying the true classical guitar, for more exploration.

Wts your experiance in classical guitars?

Do the strings give any problem? or Any specific problems clasicals have?

5. ultrabot90

I've been doing it over a year now...gave just one exam. Taking it up as a career.

Strings...only hassle I might associate with them is that they take a few days to settle after you restring, and they lose their elasticity after a few months (dead sound), but they're not as prone to breaking (I feel) as steel strings.

Classical guitars don't have a problem, per se, but there's a special thing to it. You spend less time planning/buying gear and more time playing and improving technique. I like that. xD

6. sDEVs

sDEVs Inventor

My New YAMAHA CS40 Classical String!

Hi my Friend,

Many thanks for your cooperattion, I finally purchased the CS40 YAMAHA Guitar from Furtados Mumbai, after playing & trying
    Yamaha C40, C70, Walden (In Furtados)
    Pluto, Granada, (In Bhargavas)
    Ibanez (In Musicians Mall, Bhargawas)

Liked the meloow soft calm sound of the CS40, was actually confused between C70 & CS40, but the size of CS40 actually made me go into its favour, very handy & most of it's sweet tone...

Want to take it to a trip where I can play it on a calm cold eveing watching the rising moon!
    :rock:

7. sDEVs

sDEVs Inventor

Pics

Here are the pics, the photos are taken at my home with my N73...

Attached Files:

8. rajuabhi_14

rajuabhi_14 New Member

gud work dude. got d rite match. c40 is the optimum stuff u cud buy. stay in tuch. classical guitar rocks....:->

9. rajuabhi_14

rajuabhi_14 New Member

but take care. u literally need formal education. staff reading should be improvised. al d best

10. sDEVs

sDEVs Inventor

Ya, thanks for the appreciation... I have passed Grade 2 in Trinity Guildhall exams, learning clasical yet... I am mad about it now,, when I look John Williams play it!!!!!!!!!
    It make me feel we'r juz "Dust in the Wind!"

In one of his interviews John Williams has said, " It takes mere 11 days to make you play guitar, but,, It takes 11 dedicated years to form a classical player..."
    Classical Rocks!

11. benchwarmer

benchwarmer New Member

I saw that Trinity Guildhall exam u guys were talking about, i want to know more about it, infos like
    how could u get into it?
    how do u continue that?
    stuffs like that...any link also appreciated with your infos...care to share?

12. sDEVs

sDEVs Inventor

Bench Warmer, Trinity exams are classical grade exams conducted by trinity guildhall clg UK (now they also have started Trinity Rock School exams). They actually require a teacher to prepare you for the same. There are around 8 practical exams, & similiar theory exams which can be given consequtively or as per our wish, but as the grade progresses the tough it gets. They publish a new set of books (different for theory and practicals), for every three year syllabus, which is also supplied to the corresponding teacher. So, first thing check out whose your Local Representative for TG College, there has to be someone if you stay in a city. Then its his job...

13. benchwarmer

benchwarmer New Member

thank u so very much for the valuable infos...i ll try surely try that... :)

14. rajuabhi_14

rajuabhi_14 New Member

i've been through grade 1 n since then didn't seek to exams. still practicing hardcore. do send in some gud stuff about classical . it's hard to find true stuff.

15. rajuabhi_14

rajuabhi_14 New Member

lol.......... my guitar n stand look just the same. pinch u bro

16. ultrabot90

Upload some playing, lazybums, I want to see what kind of competition I have in India. xD

17. johnny_flamenco

johnny_flamenco New Member

Unfortunately, not too many people in India are enamored withthe classical guitar. It is very difficult and require years of dedication. So people opt for the easy way out - electirc. I am not knocking it, but it sure is a different mind set altogether

18. ultrabot90

^Shut it. I'm a classical guitarist to the core, and let me tell you...electric is definitely no 'easy way out'. More people taking it up is more to do with genre preferences. Personally I'm more at home on my classical. And your kind of perception (no, you aren't alone, most of India, even otherwise educated musicians will agree with you) is exactly why I'm teaching myself touchstyle - something which, I feel, is an electric guitar extension of classical. Someday, electric guitar will have its respect too...Though one thing I can't understand for the life of me is why people are so eager to learn plectrum guitar (and Trinity is actually offering courses for it in Delhi School of Music) when fingerstyle so easily kicks that technique's balls...at anything and everything imaginable.

/rant
    Whew...

19. flood

flood New Member

hm, i would tend to agree with that statement to 50%. classical guitar is a lot more demanding in terms of technique if you want to get it "right" - play western classical in particular. i'd say the single biggest difference between western classical and contemporary western is the lack of a "pulse" or a "hook" - there are no riffs as such, and there is a lot more going on in terms of harmonies and counterpoint, even for a single instrument. this is often not the case with rock guitar. classical playing on electric is, more often than not, shabby and inaccurate. and flamenco/rasguedo on electric is iffy.

That, however, is not an explanation for why people don't play the classical guitar in india (or the rest of the world, for that matter, it's not just india - i've rarely seen guitarists abroad mastering the classical first, and those amateurs who did own a classical never really played classical on it, but used nylon plecs to play stuff like "dust in the wind"). very few people have exposure to western classical from an early age here, and simply don't identify with the music and the instrument as such. there's really not that much connection, culturally, to the genre. most of us grow up listening to pop on the telly, and even at age 10, listening to that smoke on the water intro gave me this great warm feeling around my nutsack, and 3 years later, MTV showing slash play a gibson les paul at knee level outside a church in the middle of a desert sealed it for me. i knew what sound i was after... electric guitar and rock n' roll go hand in hand. there's something truly primal about that sound, the beat, the "hook" that classical doesn't have.

i'm a BIG fan of western classical, but have come to terms with the fact that i'll probably remain a listener for a long time, until i can afford a piano. 10 years of piano study beginning at the age of 30 for an hour a day will not get me a gig at royal albert hall or unter den linden, but i guess i should have discovered the instrument as a kid to do that.

so on the whole, i agree with johnny f. to some extent. that being said, i think you can put in a lot of effort into any instrument and continue to learn new things all your life. take jeff beck, for example...

20. sDEVs

sDEVs Inventor

Ya,, Its a very sweet guitar. I Just love it. & cant wait to touch its nylon strings ... Gives that internal peace when I play something classical on it... :beer: