Classic or Steel String

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by iprakash, Aug 10, 2005.

1. iprakash

iprakash Proud IGTian

Hello Folks, I am pretty new to IGT and to the guitar. Wanted to know which acoustic guitar should I buy for playing Hindi music?

A Classic nylon string guitar or a Steel String guitar?

:help: Prakash

2. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

steel string guitar, for obvious reasons.

3. iprakash

iprakash Proud IGTian

Thanks Dharmatma. I think this information should have been in the tutorials section but its not there :(

I can't wait to buy my guitar now.

4. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

hm.. i dont see whats wrong withnylon string guitar - they sound really nice... if u want to put in pickups then get steel str5ings coz pickups dont work with nylon...

5. dmx.mafia

dmx.mafia New Member

Hello All Proffesionals ! ! ! ! !

Hello Dear frendz.....
    I m very new in music line. I bought a new guitar. coz i love 2 play music ... but how thats i do not know...
    well last week my frend tell me to do finger practice........ and i am now do that..
    and now i play it very easy ...(not so much)
    so dear frendz plz tell me wats the new step for me

plz i m waiting 4 ur response

thankx

mani_1313@yahoo.com is my mailing address

6. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

for what obvious reasons?

7. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

tone, versatility, ease(for beginner) to name a few?

8. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

hm... ease is defintely valid - tone - i tihnk its a eprsonalchoice that hell make alter and not now - sio again - ease scores again here. versatality - hm.. yup steel strings are suuited to more styles of music than nylon in general thoguh the opposite may also be true - im not too surew of this one... so i gues ill go with bjr on this - for beginner - yup steel strings!

9. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Start off with your major scales. Try picking up tunes you hear and like. Develop your ear.

10. rabi_sultan

you are kidding me right? ease? have you ever played a nylon guitar before. You don't even have to get your fingertips calloused and you can be playing all sorts of stuff.

I agree with versatiliy up to a point, tone is a moot point because everyone's idea of tone is different.

11. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

No, I'm not. I play both and stand by what I've said. Callouses are not the all and all of ease...and as a beginner you get them, no matter what.

I suppose tone could be a moot point though. I was keeping in mind current trends in music when I said that but I suppose he could be playing older stuff.

12. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

^^ most nylon string guitars have thicker necks.
    callouses are caused not because of the strings,unless u are playin on a really high action guitar and really heavy strings.

13. rabi_sultan

if callouses are not caused by holding the strings what are they caused by? holding the neck?

Of course they are caused by holding the strings and don't think otherwise. Neck sizes make a huge difference but still at the end of the day you have to hold the string to play a note ;)

In any case I'd really like to pick your brains onto why you think that the Steel string is obviously better than the nylon. It'll be an education for everyone to know why (i'm not being akward!)

14. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I think you're taking his comment out of context. Nowhere in his posts has he mentioned that he thinks the steel string is better than the nylon string. He said that in the given question, steel string would be an obvious choice...something I agree with and gave my reasons for. Whether you find them valid or not, I do not know.

Even in terms of personal preference.....in an ideal world, I'd have both like I do right now(...well, a 4 year old brat broke my steel string a couple of weeks ago but let's not get into that). However, when given a choice and being explicitly told that I couldn't have the other under any circumstance, I'd pick the steel string.

15. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

rabi_sultan---i never said..steel strings are better than nylon strings..

callouses are basically caused when u apply too much force on the string with ur finger..this happens when the muscles dont co-ordinate well together..same theory applies ..to liftin weights..u lift the same weights over a period of time they feel lighter..

when u keep playin..u realize its become much easier and u feel that u arnt applyin that much force u used to.
    u think abt it ..now.