Chords Construction

Discussion in 'Hindi Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by vikramroi, May 27, 2006.

1. vikramroi

vikramroi New Member

This lesson is designed to help you get a grip on how basic chords are constructed. I'll cover the fundamentals of basic chord theory and talk about how it relates to playing chords on the guitar. Please keep in mind when you're learning these things that you're learning music at the same time you're learning how to play the guitar. It's not easy, but developing a basic knowledge of the theory behind chords and songs in general will go a long way toward developing your guitar playing. Let's look at the key of C major. It's one of the easiest keys because it has no sharps and flats. It's all of the white keys on the piano. The notes in C major are:
    C · D · E · F · G · A · B :aggre:
    This is what is known as the C major scale. If you have a vague idea of what modes are, this is also C Ionian, but if you're not familiar with modes, don't worry about it.
    Why do I need to know about the C major scale if I want to learn about chords? Well, the most basic chords are constructed from scales, so we'll use the C major scale as the basis for constructing these chords.

A chord is a collection of notes played simultaneously, as opposed to a scale where the individual notes are played one after the other. The most basic chord is a triad, which means three notes played simultaneously. Basic triads are constructed using the 1st, 3rd, and 5th notes of a scale. So let's go back to our C major scale and find the 1st, 3rd, and 5th notes using C as our 1st note:

Note C D E F G A B
    Degree 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 :shock: :shock: :shock:

We can see from this table that C, E, and G make up our first triad. This is a C major chord and is one of the chords that can be constructed from the C major scale.

OK, that's cool, but what other chords can we make from the C major scale? Well, we can look at the C major scale starting on D instead of the C. Our table then looks like this:

Note D E F G A B C
    Degree 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

We can see from this 2nd table that D, F, and A make up our second triad derived from the C major scale. This is a D minor chord.

If we continue in this fashion substituting all 7 notes of the C major scale as our 1st note, we obtain the following triads:

1. C major: C · E · G
    2. D minor: D · F · A
    3. E minor: E · G · B
    4. F major: F · A · C
    5. G major: G · B · D
    6. A minor: A · C · E
    7. B diminished: B · D · F :think: :think: :think:
    These chords are all related, since they come from the same scale - C major. This also means that they sound good together. You can mix and match them to create your own tunes. Listen to the example to hear how these triads sound when played one after the other.

Rest Later and Happy Chording
    :beer: :beer: :beer:

2. hassaan561

hassaan561 New Member

hmm thanks for the info it helps. but playing chords is hard!!!!

3. vikramroi

vikramroi New Member

Practice that's the solution
    :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

4. smart_kid1

smart_kid1 New Member

i just play the chords but never realized it also has theory.
    thanks for sharing the information.

5. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

where do we get a more detailed version?
    well done btw

6. anirban.d.das

anirban.d.das New Member

copy paste

dude good article but if u are copying from a source plz acknowledge it.

7. J.J

J.J The Guitar God

All chords are formed by the parent major scale...

the formulas goes like this...

Major = 1 3 5
    Minor = 1 b3 5
    Augmented = 1 3 #5
    Diminished = 1 b3 b5
    Suspended 2 = 1 2 5
    Suspended 4 = 1 4 5
    major 7th = 1 3 5 7
    minor 7th = 1 b3 5 b7
    major add 9 = 1 3 5 9
    minor 9 = 1 b3 5 b7 9

make a few chords using these formulas...the number like 1 3 5 being the note u play on the major scale...for example take A major...u wanna build it...play A major scale count the first note u play that is ofcourse the root note A...the third note being C# and finally the 5th note which will be E...now hold the chord A major...and check the notes you r holding...they should be A C# E...nice eh...;)

8. J.J

J.J The Guitar God

now that u know how to make chords...u should also know how chord progressions are formed...yes they to have a theory behind them...

first thing u gotta memorize is this...

I ii iii IV V vi vii VIII
    maj min min maj maj min dim maj

I = major = tonic
    II = minor = super-tonic
    III = minor = mediant
    IV = major = sub-dominant
    V = major = dominant
    VI = minor = sub-mediant
    VII = diminished = leading tone
    VIII = major = tonic

now that applies in every scale...

take C...the notes being C D E F G A B C

C = maj
    D = min
    E = min
    F = maj
    G = maj
    A = min
    B = dim (not used very often)
    C = maj

now collect all the "majors" in one...that would make...C F G C...voila!!! C maj chord proggression at ur service...

this is also known as "family"

practice by writing down the notes in every key...from A to G and then see the families and play them...

so to make a major chord proggression we have the formula

I IV V VIII...

u can rearrange them and experiment on them to make ur own proggressions... but keep in mind that

I is maj
    II is min
    III is also min
    IV maj
    V maj
    VI min
    VII dim
    VIII maj

enjoy making proggressions!!!

9. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Incorrect again. The chord you play for the seventh interval is a half-diminished or the m7b5. Not a diminished. A B diminished would have a G#.

10. J.J

J.J The Guitar God

dude...my thoery till that part is perfect...i can't be wrong bout that...so...um u recheck ur theory...mine is 110% correct :)

11. vikramroi

vikramroi New Member

sorry boss you are mistaken 7th is dimnished

12. vikramroi

vikramroi New Member

Hi arindham sure I agree with you and I do not claim that I created this somebody did send me this article and it was not his creation either . By the way I am practicing your Neele Neele Ambar pe song and you have done good job
    Thanks for that man

13. vikramroi

vikramroi New Member

If you search on net you can find a lot of music theory there is a good site if you want more western music
    :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
    www.wholenote.com

14. vikramroi

vikramroi New Member

sure anytime:beer:

15. lucifer_666

lucifer_666 New Member

@ J J and Vikramroi...ur info was very valuable to me.....but wud really appreciate if u also tell me abt the source of these information........

:beer:

16. vikramroi

vikramroi New Member

this information is available all over internet if you search google for chord theory you can find it. Although I like this site www.wholenote.com very nice site. If you sign up on this site do give me as reference I have same id there too vikramroi
    If you have any questions regarding the music or guiter chord theory do let me know
    Thanks again
    :beer:

17. J.J

J.J The Guitar God

18. vikramroi

vikramroi New Member

19. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

*sigh*

It is only in when you talk in terms of triads that the B would be a diminished triad. You were talking in terms of chords. Not Triads. Hence you were incorrect in saying what you did. So much for being 110% correct.

In terms of chords, the B diminished chord would be

http://www.musiccoach.com/ChordMine/Guitar_chords/Chord/chord_7.aspx

Formula: 1, b3, b5, b b7 (last note is double flattened seventh or just sixth for convenience)

B diminished chord: B D F G#

If you used a G#, you would no longer be in the key of C.

Now look at the B half diminished chord....also known as the B min7b5.

Formula: 1, b3, b5, b7

B half diminished: B D F A

You'll find the notes all being part of the C major scale. We always use a half diminished chord and not a diminished chord for the seventh of the scale.

I rest my case.

20. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

*bump* I'm waiting for replies here.