Chord Switching

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by cool_devil, Jan 4, 2005.

1. cool_devil

cool_devil New Member

Hello Guyz...I m writing here 4 da first time...nd must appreciate dat da people here are very helpful..I m just a beginner nd having problems in shifting frm i chrd to another..
    Can anyone tell me da sites 4 learning Chord Switching (preferably wid videos)..or please U suggest wat shud i do..
    PLEASE HELP!! :please:

2. tejas

tejas ..........

Practice and more practice. Everyone who plays the guitar has this problem at the begining, u keep practicing and u'll get it. First try switching between easy chords like say C to G and then to G7. Thats very basic. But the key word here is practice like it is with everything else guitar.

And by the way, this is the wrong forum for this. If u have any guitar related questions post them in the Beginners Q&A Forum. This forum is for Music discussion.

3. shak

shak Harrr!

i have been playing darned guitars for 7 years son....still cant switch between a barr and open quick enuff!!!....Hahahaha....tejas is right..practice and you'll get better at it!!

4. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

as tejas said , thread will be moved to beginers q & a forum ...

THREAD MOVED !!

5. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

www.cyberfret.com visit this and go to the chords section. There are videos of chord switching between basic chords. Look at them, understand and then practice. You dont get it in a day, just keep practicing and you'll get it.

6. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

practice these chords as a switch:

C major to E major
    C major to E minor
    A major to G major
    G major to D major
    D minor to A minor
    A minor to E major
    A minor to E major
    E minor to A major
    E major to A major

by the time you can play all of those succesfully then its time to learn a few barre chords :) remember when playing chords ALL NOTES SHOULD BE RINGING AND NOT SOUND DUD

7. cool_devil

cool_devil New Member

Thank U all 4 giving me so valuable suggestions...i wud look forward 2 wat u all hav suggested me...THANKS!!

8. Venus

Venus New Member

tell me bout it........i think i positively suck at that.......not to mention getting RSI from being stubborn and forgetting the key is not to overdo it!!!!!!!!!!

9. Gai

Gai New Member

@cool...
    one thing i can tell u........just practicing chord swtiching becomes boring.and not so motivating.....heres something better.....choose a song u lika a lot...which u feel passionately about...and try to learnt that song......no matter what the chords....and keep on practicing it.......the easiest and best way to learn chord switching........imagine i used that method and i went from a dud to being able to switch b/w barres and opens efficiently in 3 months flat....and 3 months as in starting from scratch.......3 months after i picked up the guitar i was switching b/w barres and opens....so i feel good abt that.....blieve me it works.......i dunno abt u...but these songs work for me:
    kiss me
    hotel california...
    to be with you
    patience
    etc..............................

10. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

to practice barre chords and develop finger strength.. practice this song..
    lightning crashes by live.. kinda ok song.. but its all barre chords, and it a slow song, so u gotta press longer, and your hand starts paining initially..

of course it will pain only if u want to hear the ringing sound on all strings..
    other wise its a piece of cake :p:

11. aleric

aleric New Member

Jay,

Thats a good song. Can you post the barre chords?

12. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

u can find it easily on the web.. olga.net or some such site.

13. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

actually for barre chords i always found playing fifths is an easy way to break into it. but i play fifths with my index finger holding down all the notes (even though i don't strum them) almost like a B major (x24442)

14. Venus

Venus New Member

i was told that barre chords should never be played along the end of the neck as its infeasible (unless u ave a cutaway)............and so should be substituted for another version of the same chord on the frets nearer the machine heads..........

15. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

there is nothing to it
    try switching between
    Am to C
    G to C
    A to D........
    then try the progressions
    A D G D ,
    G C D C ,
    Am C Em Am.........

16. ambush