Chord-scale help!

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Quadrophenia, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Quadrophenia

Quadrophenia Member

Alright guys..i'm trying to write everything out..
    i'm trying to get the chords from A major scale.
    but i'm a stuck!

A major scale is A B C# D E F# G# A

great..now ive got a list of chord formulae i want to learn
    major 6ths ,minor 6ths ,suspended etc..

some formulae are: r,3,5 : r,3,5,6 : r,3,5,9 etc....
    now what ive picked up from the website..is that triads can be used to make chord.. so for instance i can make an A Major chord ..

SO WHY CANT I MAKE A B MAJOR CHORD FROM THIS?

if i choose the second note B the third from it is D and the 5th F#
    how do i know i'm making the correct chords.. ive been checking them on the guitar and its rong for a b major i need a D# instead of D. ..

also..r,3,5 : r,3,5,6 : r,3,5,9

if R = root...in a A major scale ..the root is A so does that mean i can make all the 9th major7th chords beggining with A?
    :mad: :mad:
    i'm confused..help :shock: :annoyed:

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

A Chord is basically derived from the Scale. For a A Major Scale, there are only certain chrods that could be derived. These are A Major progression. For a D Major, write out a D Major Scale and use your r35 for the D Major chord.

3. Quadrophenia

Quadrophenia Member

thats great..but how do i know i cant use r ,3 5 in A major scale starting from D how will i know that ..thats the wrong config for a D major chord!
    how do i know D major chord doesnt lie in the A major scale?.. Also
    other chords like 6ths ,7ths and suspended chords..how do i know i am getting the correct chords for a given major scale?:shock:

4. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

ok i suggest u follow these steps - write out ur scale - lets say u want to know which chords lie in A major - write out the A major scale- now u want to know if theres a B amjor or minor chord rin the A scale right? - so now start with the note B. wats the 3rd note of the A major scale staarting from B? its D. now D is 3 semitones away which is aminor 3rd interval - if u dont know wat this is - read up on intervals.... now well look at the fifth note - thats F# right? becoz remember were starting from B on the A major scale..

so basically we have:
    B D F# which fllow the apttern:
    Root minor3rd fifth

this is the formula for a minor chord hene its B minor and not major.

jsut as a general rulelets take any major scale 'X' - the notes relativer to X will be:

R 2 3 4 5 6 7
    we can buiold a scale of chords from this:
    R - major
    2 - minor
    3- minor
    4 - major
    5- major
    6 - minor
    7 - diminished

this can all be done using the methof i described earlier

either ways there are several posts on triads and intervals - i strongly urge u to read them and try to understand how chords are formed.

edit: this is my 666th post!!! its evil!

5. Quadrophenia

Quadrophenia Member

@ death..i know how to get triads out of a major scale. i know my major scale and the intervals. the only thing im having trouble with is 6th major/min and 7th maj/min chords..
    from what ive understood from nemo..is that..ive got to refer to the parent scale..

for instance if i dont know the notes in Bminor7th i can refer to the chord forumla
    which is r,3b,5,7b and the B major scale.
    if i have the same notes in A major scale ..bingo!..otherwise no bingo :p

am i correct so far?

6. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

no..

its basically an extension of wat i just said.. instead of adding only the third and fifth of the scale - add the 7th...

lets go with the same example:

itll be a B minor chord in the B major scale - we've already established that - nowwe want to see which 7th type chord exists.

so lets look at the 7th note of the A major scale starting from B (incidentally - u mghit want to see my modal theory lesson in the tips and tricks forum - most of this is covered there.)
    the 7th note is A starting from B. now we need to see wat kind of a 7th interval is A from B. Since A->B is a major 2nd interval, B->A becomes a minor 7th intreval (il be posting a lesson later on this - maybe in modal theory lesson only - later)

Another way of finding that B->A is a minor 7th interval is by counting the number of semitones. there will be 10 semitones between the 2. there are always 10 semitones between a note and its minor 7th - (u can do this by taking any minor scale as an example).

The the chord will be B minor 7th in the A major scale. Now for sus chords u dont worry about which scale its on - a suspended chord is basically one without major/minor tonality - but its replaced with a generic 2nd (2 semitones) or a generic 4th (5 semitones). (2nd and 4th is same for minor and major chords - u dont normally use diminished chords with 2nds and 4ths - its not done normally and u dont need to worry about it right now)

u jsut use them like that then....

hope that helps..

if ur in bbay - i can help you with proper lessons and all - pm me if ur interested.