Chord Formulas

Discussion in 'Guitar Tablature Discussion' started by prash_rocks, Dec 8, 2003.

1. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills & Far Away

I think it helps one immensely to learn the theory behind everything we do...

A few months back, after much research in music theory I'd worked out the formulas for ALL the possible chords. After a thorough understanding of these, I suppose, one would be able to work out just any chord anywhere on the fretboard/keyboard and discover new chords without referring to the manuals... (although I myself am yet to understand them to anywhere near fullness!) I guess some of you already are familiar with some of these if not all.

This work is still not complete. I had even planned to work out something similar for the scales, but I gave up the project for college studies... Meanwhile, check these out and tell me if it works...

Attached Files:

2. FinalPhase

FinalPhase New Member

excellent post...thanx...:)

3. preezer369

preezer369 New Member

i don't get the first part:confused:

4. bibs

bibs New Member

chord formula simplified

hey guys
    I have got a more simplified formula for remembering chords. Though this is mainly for keyboards bt I think it is equally effective for guitars also. Once you know this you can find out any chord and moreover you can find out yourself the sequencial similarity for other chords also. If there is anything wrong in it do let me know.

5. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills & Far Away

i think some explanation is in order...
    these are a hell lotta chords an ordinary mortal will need not in a 100 lifetimes...
    those who understand the theory will understand what i wrote. those who don't, for them i'll explain a little.

you'll hardly ever need to go beyond the major, minor and even more rarely the seventh chords. chords are mathematical - in fact one of the classic examples of most natural mathematics that exists. exactly the same relative notes are used separated from each other by fixed distances and they sound harmonious together, and we call them chords.

the simplest example is that of the major chord composed of 3 notes: the root note (the note after which the chord is named), a second note (called the 'third') 4 keys ahead (on the keyboard) and the third note (called the 'fifth') 3 notes ahead of the 'third' (or 7 from the root, but I find the other method easier as it doesn't involve any knowledge of scales.)

therefore if we wanna know the notes of a chord called C Major, we start with C (root), move 4 keys higher and find E (third), thence move 3 keys higher and find G (fifth). so our C major chord contains the notes C, E and G.

working similarly, the chord Eb will have the notes: Eb, G and Bb.

the next important chord is the minor. it differs from the major in that this time our third is only 3 keys higher (instead of 4) and the fifth is 4 keys higher than the third (instead of 3, but which again is the 7th note from the root, so that the fifth in both major and minor chords remains the same).

so working for the chord E minor in a similar fashion as before, we get Em=E+G+B. similarly C#m=C#+E+G#.

the use of the third a step lower in the minor chord alters the sound of the chord dramatically from that of the major. a major chord is felt to sound 'happy,' the minor one kind of morose. hence in a regular pop song you expect to find most of the chords as major, while in songs that are sad, full of pathos, you will find many minor chords.

this is usually all you need to know. now to play these chords on the guitar, you look for the notes that form your chord on the fretboard and select the note position that can be most easily played without trying to break your fingerbones in order to reach farther notes. a chord is technically defined just by a single occurrence of all the three notes on any 3 strings (the root most generally being the lowest sounding note). but in order that we may play and strum smoothly, we also add other occurrences of the same 3 notes and try to fill up as much of the fretboard with these, so that we get a fuller sound.

so if we want to make a C major on the fretboard, we look for the notes C, E and G. we usually try to find them as close to the head as possible while keeping the root (C) on the thickest string. so although the note E is the open note on the 6th string, we don't use it as it's not the root, and the next time C occurs is very much down the frets. so we skip the 6th string.

then on the 5th string we find we have a C on the 3rd fret and we'd like to use it as the root string.

on the 4th string we find there is an E on the 2nd fret and we use it too.

the 3rd string is naturally tuned to G so we eagerly grab the opportunity to use a note without any fretting.

at this point our chord is technically complete. but we still move on and see if we can fill up more strings.

so on the 2nd string we find a C on the first fret and use it too.

and the 1st string is again naturally an E so we include it as well.

now you see the pattern we've selected looks like [x,3,2,0,1,0] which is exactly the C chord we first learned. voilĂ !

try constructing all other chords you know from this knowledge and you'll understand what i meant - the theory behind everything we do!

:beer:

6. preezer369

preezer369 New Member

thank u so much...i have a feeling that that's gonna really help...bibs, i couldn't open the attachment!

priya

7. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

ya me too..can u repost it?