chat room??

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by guitar_gal, Jun 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Yes msn and yahoo are private messengers not a chat room those are two different things.

2. Reem

Reem Banned

I know u guys discussed about chatting rooms and I know that some disagreed saying it will spoil the forum.. I am with that.. but let compromise between the two parties.

I saw in other boards a way for communicating between members… pop-up messaging.. I really don’t know what they call it.. u can send short pop-up message to another person..

Let's list the advantages:
    1. Will reduce the pressure on the private msg box and server..
    2. Will make the board more interactive..
    3. Will encourage the member to stay visible.. hahha they have to be online and only members can use this feature.

Disadvantage??!!
    Lets open this feature for one month ONLY and see if it is ok or no.. we need zoomingrocket help to list disadvantages in his IT point of view.

Come on guys lets give it a try..
    Chaw

3. great_guns

great_guns "The Great One"

Good idea...

Hey....

FINALLY, someone talks sense. And surprise surprise, its a lady.. :shock:

Well, in any case...the pop up messages are a reality in certain websites. Thats is a cool idea. But yunno what, the major reason for the mods not liking a chatroom here is coz they fear that the talk will be deflected from their major focus...guitars !!

But to be really frank, why would anyone come to a relatively obscure site like IGT to do "regular" chat stuff. C'mmon, the only people who come to this site are people who want info on guitars and related stuff. The chat room will only help them talk DIRECTLY to other senior guitarists and get online tips...

My idea, donno how many think that way.
    BTW, if the mods are concerned tat they'd have to work harder, then lemme say, its hardly a price to pay for making the site more interactive, more helpful and hence more popular !

Tell me what you think...

-PeAcE
    --WiTh
    ---GuNs :rule:

4. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

it sounds like a good idea...y not take a poll on it?

5. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

A chat room will turn this into a Roamnce Hub.. and Its not what we want.. We want more threads with Information which we or someone else can come back and read..
    So there is no ways we are gonna have a chat room here.. Unless its highly required at some point of time..

6. Reem

Reem Banned

Guys i have suggested a popup-messaging not chat rooms.. popup-msg will allow members to send short msgs between them as a way of contacting each other.. and it will impossible be alternative of the forums... long tabs, chords and lyrics are long can't be sent through popup-msging..

@ jayanth chat rooms are not the only way to exchange romance.. guys here found another alternative.. hahaha

7. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Reem@ Can you pm me an example of this feature? I dont think i quite get you, are you talking about shoutbox?

8. snail

snail New Member

can anyone help

where can i take guitar lessons in bandra

9. great_guns

Hey Jayanth, bhidu...

Now that you are the mod here, buddy, it would REALLY help if you actually READ other posts before posting yourself. Whatsay...did you read mine? And if you did, how come you have no answers to my questions !!

Hope something enlightening strikes you soon (no, its not a pun, I INTEND to keep the "en" in enlightening as it is)

-Guns

10. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

That is not our major focus... we already have a chit chat lounge for all non guitar related discussions. Our main arguments for not having chat facilities are -
    People will ask questions directly on a person to person basis which will not be preserved in the forum as it is now for future reference for other ppl. In short the discussions in the chat boards will not benefit anyone apart from the few people who actually take part in the chat. It will encourage people to have discussions in the forums based on the discussions in the chat which will make many people feel left out. it isn't possible to get many people to gather together at one time, so many will be left out of conversations whereas in forums they can join in.

Once we have a chat option, this may no longer be the case... there are many people here who do not have many questions about guitars and still they come because they have made many friends here... we have no problems with that... in fact we encourage it and recommend IGT members to get to know each other better...

That is not something which we have ever voiced out yet... the chat option will not add anything to our work currently, because chat boards are usually left un-moderated.

I hope I answered your questions... thank you for the feedback.

11. great_guns

Nice Essy !

Hey Essy...

Good to know that there are some mods here who actually READ stuff ( :p Maaf karna, Jayant mere bhai...but so is the case).

I can see that you too have a strong case there. You know what, there is a lot of things that can be argued on this issue. But is there really a way out?

I mean, what I was telling you was from experience of various sites related to computers and stuff. They have chatrooms and people discuss strictly computers there. Also, there is the IRC where there are specific rooms for specific subjects. Of course, there are freaks over there but then no one talks to them and they soon get frustrated and scram. Also, the number of freaks are limited even though the IRC is probably a million times more popular than us.

One more thing I wanted to clear...
    Well, I would say a chatroom needs EXTREME amount of moderation activity. Take the IRC again, there are a number of ops out there who manage the flow. As opposed to that, there is Yahoo chat where there are no mods and hence we have a number of flooders and unwanted people out there. Also, the moderators (If IGT starts a chat, that is) would have to make sure people talk only on related issues.

Easy solution to this. Just diable personal messages. Just have a mains chat where everyone talks at the same time. :think:

Well. I'd like to know what all the others think about this.

:rockon:
    -PeAcE
    --WiTh
    ---GuNs :rule:

12. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

Well, it seems hard to manage that even in a forum... I'm sure we'll fail miserably to make people talk about guitars only in a chat room...

I don't think you understood what I meant (either that, or I am misinterpretating you)... we want to preserve all the advices that are given by some of the more experienced people to the relatively newer ones... it wont be very probable in a chat room.

13. snail

snail New Member

plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help

does anyone know who takes guitar lessons in bandra.

14. sumit

sumit HaNdS uPPP!!

hey i guess this topic was surpressed earlier...how did it come up....

15. sam_rules

sam_rules New Member

don't think the debate will ever end. but the chatroom is quite a nice way to know more about guitar. maybe a chatroom that can only be setup on the request of administrator. you state the reason and if its good enough you are allowed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.