Chappel Era Ends

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by Ankur_Scorpio, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Ankur_Scorpio

Ankur_Scorpio New Member

2. basit_jaaaani

basit_jaaaani I'm gUnnin' fer uuu

dats mighty good

3. born2tab

born2tab rhythm guitarist

was waiting for this one only:aggre:

4. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

So chendulkar's ego is hurt ha .. I don't find anything wrong in what Chappel said. If you play bad you have to take the hammer.

5. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

There is a difference between the hammer and having your ethics and commitment questioned.

Given that the person questioning them is one who ordered his bowler to bowl underarm and also left mainstream cricket for a lucrative offer, I think it is a little hard to take.

6. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

^A Good coach need not be a good player and vice versa.

n I don't doubt that there's lack of commitment by the Indian cricketers .. I'm SURE they lack it. I don't even need to be a cricketer actually in order to question someone's commitment.

7. zicky5608

zicky5608 Power Shortage

Whatever you say notty...this statement is the one that really counts. Chappel didn't do right.

8. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

ganguly got a dose of the same medicine, but few sided with ganguly then.

9. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

same applies for a good player and captain.... a great player doesnt always make a great captain... rahul dravid is living proof of that.

10. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

.....and sanity begins to get restored.

11. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Roger that.

Anyway Chappel has resigned. His record with India is a fair one. He's not to be blamed for India's downfall me feels.

https://content-ind.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/288746.html

12. zicky5608

zicky5608 Power Shortage

He's not to blame that's for sure.

Oh well, I hope we have a whole new Indian team :p

13. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

well somebody has to take the blame. pakistan criocket has more accountability than india - their captain has resigned. rahul dravid still hangs on meanwhile ...

14. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Perhaps he's smelled blood with the Bangladesh tour coming up.

15. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

And I'm pretty sure Sachin isn't going to call a press conference and announce that your views hurt him.

Not really. His record with India has been fair purely on a statistical basis. Beating a half-strength English side 6-1 in the ODI's and drawing the Test Series is not success.

Also, you'll find that we're back at square one....where we were 2 years ago. The same players are still playing, the same strategies are once again being followed and your bench strength is a big fat zero. The only find I'd credit to Greg Chappel has been Dinesh Karthik and I'd play him in place of Dhoni (in any form of the game) and I'd credit him with the throwing out of Sourav Ganguly (the first time only). He's treated his seniors shabbily, single-handedly ruined a year in the career of Irfan Pathan and desperately slithered to save his own skin and put Dravid to slaughter on a number of occasions (not to say Dravid did not deserve it). Chappel with a stronger captain might not have been this bad a coach. Dravid seems to be equally obstinate when it comes to looking at flaws in the team. Chappel has to share a large part of the blame though not just for the world cup. Looking at team strategies, can you imagine playing Dinesh Karthik for every single game for 20 odd games and the warm up games before the world cup and then sitting him out? Or Uthappa being pipped for Sehwag yet still playing the side at number 3? Or Irfan Pathan sitting out the last few months when you constantly whine about not having quality all-rounders? Or play Joginder Sharma for that one match? Or try and protect Suresh Raina and Rao at number 6 and 7 just so Ganguly might not get a shoo-in in case he failed?

It's all very well to try and avoid climbing on the blame bandwagon but in this particular case, I find it quite justified.

16. Ankur_Scorpio

Ankur_Scorpio New Member

Bury the past, who do you thing is the future coach?

Few Names: Viv Richards, Tom Moody, Dav Watmore, even Sunil Gavaskar......

Their profiles are here.....https://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/288825.html

I would be inclined to get a person who has many more tactics up his sleeve....and someone who is an expert at dealing in indian diplomatic ways.....

Greg Chappell could or count not have been right, but where he clearly went wrong was he was too rigid for an indian system. He forgot that this system demands keeping majority happy. We need someone who knows how to get his work done in an indian system such as BCCI.

17. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

No matter who the new coach is .. Indian Team will still suck.

18. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I think that's a little too much angst for 23.

19. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

I think David Beckham is gay.

20. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

rather typically, you're missing the point.

I asked you to explain your stance.