Change...?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by augur, Dec 1, 2008.

1. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

Just your perspective. I'm hoping it'll provide a new dimension.

@alpha1 - I thought over what you said in your earlier post. I couldn't digest the maid example for long. In the Maid versus You scenario, it is YOU who have the power to actually fire the maid.

In Politicians versus you, even though it may be apparent that you have the power, it is actually not true. Plus the Politician situation is much more complex than the maid. It's the politicians who exercise control over situation and people because of the power.

NOw I know it is in our hands to vote for the politicians and make sure good people come.. but it is a vicious pool of dirt where every one is evil or eventually becomes evil. How do you fix that?

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I actually do have an interesting perspective to this...based of a discussion I had with my MD. I also have a completely opposite perspective...dark yet possible. It's still in the formulation though so I'll give it some time.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

When I talk about you - its not just you single person.
    Plus I was not at all talking about firing the maid - its about taking the responsibility. Your own responsibility.

Who is stopping you from getting into politics?

4. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

^Because I can't be everywhere. It would mean a full time commitment which I cannot afford to give. I have a life of my own with my obligations to cater to.

5. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Of course. Doesn't everyone?

So who should get into politics? Those that don't have a life of their own with obligations to cater to?

Everyone wants to see immediate change in our political system. But no one is willing to do it. And hence millions of people will continue to rant everyday about the pathetic state of affairs. No one will help bake the cake, but everyone will be there to eat it.

elfascinating likes this.
  6. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

OK. That's a huge problem agreed. No point discussing the problem now.

What's the solution according to you?

7. augur

augur I love bjr

Politics has a way of rotting even the best of them.

People rant about everything and do as little as possible so as to say, "Atleast we tried." When did just trying become good enough? Maybe it's Indian mentality maybe it's world over, I don't know.

One guy at the Gateway of India said he wanted Presidential rule in India. Has he seen Pratibha Patil? All she's done is take holidays in various countries with her husband in tow at the taxpayers (read: your) expense. She was on a holiday when the attacks took place and only came back after it was all over. She's more likely to wear a skirt than do anything worthwhile during her tenure. Presidential rule......

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I think cribbing is all that Indians can do in all aspects of life.

9. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

^That statement made me laugh .. but on a serious note .. aren't you an Indian?

10. thehundredthone

Yes he is. Some of us crib about others cribbing :p:

There's no solution per se. It's a process. I don't really think the political situation will change much because the people complaining are the people who will suddenly lose their voice when asked to be part of the attempt to change things.

We're brought up by parents who don't want us to have anything to do with politics because it's dishonest and it's pigs rolling in shit. So obviously a lemon tree can't bear apples. We carry the same philosophy over to the next generation, and they'll have this same conversation a few years from now.

So we'll have more media coverage sure, more "outcries" than usual, more specials in the Times of India about India's new citizen leaders. And that will be enough for the "victims" until the next such incident.

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ +1

but on a serious note .. aren't you an Indian?
    Yes, very much.
    But that shouldn't compel me to become a typical one.

12. augur

augur I love bjr

All talk and no erection.

13. augur

augur I love bjr

But... but TOI is the voice of my India!

14. thehundredthone

Isn't it though? I just love how they splash the VLCC or ICRI ads across the half the front page, so colourful.

15. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

I still think influential figures of India (non political) could make a difference. At least some if they come together coupled with the Media for a cause and create pressure on the Govt.

Even people in groups together should come together part time for a particular cause just to inspire people in their area/city etc.

I'm still skeptical it'll actually bear fruit though.

16. augur

augur I love bjr

The Govt. decreased the fuel prices by 5 bucks. Gawd, now I don't even remember what happened last week. Another 5 bucks and I'll forget about the BJP.

Is Alyque Padamsee an influential person? The news people put "Prominent theatre personality" under his name so I have to t take him seriously. He said that all elected ministers should be sacked after 100 days if they don't perform. Now Mr. prominent theatre personality tell me what is the measure of performance? We'll have new Governments every 100 days. I would so do his daughter...as long as she keeps her mouth shut and doesn't try to act.

17. vivek.gaur0816

vivek.gaur0816 VivekLoveRock....

Change

Don't u think that we (d common man) can bring out some change. I don't mean dat we should come across streets 2 join some rallies or something b'coz that is not going to stop ruthless killings.

I mean change in every aspect of society....todays world..
    now we should stop forgetting incidents as if our rage is a tablet of volatile iodine
    U may think that how can we bring out a tide of change..well u urself can answer dat in a better way..can't u ??

18. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

How did you answer yourself? Let us know.

19. vivek.gaur0816

vivek.gaur0816 VivekLoveRock....

hope um nt getting offensive..bt this kinda attitude in young blood is halting us frm getting ny change in present scenario.
    Just sit alone 4 a while and try to feel d responsibilities u need 2 take as a citizen of this country....n if u fail in this attempt (which is somewat lyk SWAT analysis) then go get a lyf dude :-(

20. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Okay, I'm back with my perspective which, in the few days since I mentioned having an idea, isn't really fresh anymore.

I'm sorry that this post is a little incoherent but this is a big idea hence not completely thought out yet. I'm writing as it comes right now:

I honestly wish I were 30 years old and out of a job right now. To me, this is the ideal time to get into politics. You know how people talk about investments and to buy low and sell high....I think this is pretty much as low as it needs to be in politics.

The basic problem with getting into politics is nobody wants to get their hands dirty....god knows they're dirty enough anyway. However, what if you were to form a new political party. An urban political party comprising of well-educated, qualified individuals who can fight to change things? I'm not getting into the finer aspects of the functioning of the party. I'm not enough of a thinker to have been able to figure that out yet but that comes at a later stage.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not aiming at the Prime Minister's seat. I'm looking to take cities first. If you see the mood today, people are disgruntled and there is no clear majority anywhere. Our last 2 governments have been ridiculously large coalitions.

What if we could form a party with strictly urban agenda and run for the city seat? We have gimmicks like Green Parties around the world and they've actually started working since the younger generation has come into voting power.

Whether you accept it or not, there are people around the country who are trying to change things. What we need is for the rest of us to rally around them and forming a new party is the best way to do it.

Start off small. Take 6 cities around the country. The advantage of hitting the urban sector is that TVs are an excellent mode of communication (the only mode these days which is unhealthy but don't get me started there). If you can come up with an honest agenda, I'm convinced that major cities will give you a chance.

Once you're elected, it's upto you to do a good job. If you can do well in your first term, you've struck gold. What you need to show are things that other parties haven't....transparency, an effort to make good on your agenda and the will to introspect.

ah, lunch time. This is why I was refraining from starting. This is just the start of the idea really.