Carrying guitar from UK to Delhi

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by T22, May 25, 2011.

1. T22

T22 New Member

Hello all, I will be visiting India for 6 months and want to take my electric guitar with me.
    I have an American Fender Strat I want to bring, I would flight case it. I'm concerned about how the guitar would be treated by baggage handlers and inspectors once in Delhi.

Wondering if I should bring a cheaper guitar in a gig bag and carry it on to the plane.

If anyone has experience and advice regarding this, would be appreciated...
    Thanks.

2. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Call up the airlines and ask. Most probably they'll say that Hardcase is not allowed as cabin baggage and you'll have to check it in. Regarding treating the guitar at airport it depends on your luck man. But mostly they dont harm the stuff. Make sure to put plenty of fragile stickers and tape the guitar case(in case you carry a hard case). Put bubble wrap inside to make sure ur guitar is protected. Also put some papers in the vacant space inside the hardcase. You should be fine i guess.

3. Super-Admin

Super-Admin Administrator Staff Member

If money's not an issue, have you considered some international courier like DHL and such ? As @Rickky suggested, first check with the air carrier you are taking. Have a detailed discussion with the customer support, check all documents that you are supposed to carry.

Remember, it's not a every day question to them, so most likely the one you deal with may not have an answer, or might lead you in wrong direction. I'd strongly suggest, connect to an international courier agent and check with them. They might just work cheaper than you expected ..

And if you are flying BA, god save you. I've always been unlucky and dissatisfied with their service. Emirates rock any day ! :)

My 2 cents.

Cheers,

4. T22

T22 New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I'd DEFINITELY flight case it if it was going into the hold, and insure it. I've carried a guitar to India before on several occasions, in a gig bag stowed overhead. Never had a problem there. Never had a problem with my main luggage either, but there's always an element of paranoia when stowing an expensive guitar...

There's a chance that the inspectors/handlers at either airport would open up the case to inspect it without me around, and that's my biggest concern really.

Given the price of flight cases and checking in extra luggage, it's doesn't cost that much more to get a less expensive travel axe and peace of mind...

5. T22

T22 New Member

Flown with India Airline and Virgin from UK to India with a gig bag in the overhead, no problems.

6. Super-Admin

Super-Admin Administrator Staff Member

@T22 - You shouldn't have problem with the inspectors. Just ensure you take all the necessary precautions. Though random checks might be possible, in the wake of various *global issues*, but if you are clear and intentions are clean, then be rest assured there''s no problem coming your way.

Where in Delhi will you be when you are here ? What's the purpose of your visit ? Do let me know, will invite you over for a jam session sometime. I frequent Delhi pretty often :)

Safe journey,

Cheers,

7. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

Call your airlines, last time I had my flat screen(19inch) with me and they refused to keep it with them and even had problems keeping a dude's acoustic. Emirates are sweet to fly with but some of their staffs can be real morons...