carnatic tabs

Discussion in 'Guitar Tablature Discussion' started by meena, Mar 1, 2005.

1. meena

meena New Member

Hello can someone pl. help i'm looking for carnatic tabs for my daughter. thanku

2. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

3. meena

meena New Member

ananth222

Thanku my daughter and i, we did check the 2 threads that u mentioned yesterday, it did not help her much :(

Is there a book/cd/ or any on the web info that u or anyone on this forum aware of? Ur help would be appriciated. thanku

4. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

hey meena, does your daughter learn carnatic music? if not she should do that first.
    if it is difficult finding carnatic guitar teacher, she should learn vocals, and regular guitaring. Then incorporate what she learnt in her carnatic vocal classes in her guitaring. If she learns an instrument like veena etc.. it becomes even more easier to play carnatic on the guitar.

Jay

5. meena

meena New Member

jayswami

Yes she has been leaning carnatic vocal.Her vocal teacher wants my daughter to play few sree tyagaraja songs (for an aradhana)on the electric guitar, while few others will play the piano/violin/veena. - support for vocal singers! do i make any sense?
    We are not looking for carnatic guitar tutor.
    She has about 2 1/2 mths to learn.
    Just in need for tabs, any help would be appriciated. thanks

6. meena

meena New Member

7. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

I suggest u get the books by TK Govinda Rao.
    There is a book for each of the trinity (Tyagaraja, Muthuswamy Dikshidhar and Syama shastri) with notes for each of their kritis. With these notes you can play them on the guitar.
    Which songs r u specifically looking at?

8. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

9. meena

meena New Member

ananth222

My daughter does have all the books published by Sri TKG.
    The Q is how does she get to play the notes of CM music on the guitar? Can u map CM notes to western notes?
    Sa
    Ri 1, 2, 3
    Ga etc how to map these notes???

10. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

Sure, here is the mapping:
    suppose you take C as your Sa
    Code:
    S R1 R2 R3
         G1 G2 G3 M1 M2 P D1 D2 D3 
                             N1 N2 N3 S
    C C# D  D# E  F  F# G G# A  A# B  C

This is just a literal mapping, but to play carnatic music on the guitar u need to get the gamakas by sliding or hammering and that requires a lot of practice.

11. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

What I mean is for intsance if u take the raagam valaji, it has N2 which is A#. But the N2 is actually sung as "Da Sa Da Sa Da Sa"
    So try this tab for valaji:
    Aarohanam: S G3 P D2 N2 S (in western notes according to the conversion chart above, it will be C E G A A# C)
    Avarohanam: S N2 D2 P G3 S

E------------------------------------
    B------------------------------------
    G--------2-3-5-----------------------
    D----2-5-----------------------------
    A--3---------------------------------
    E------------------------------------

Now instead of just playing A# for Ni, try this:
    on the G string, 3rd fret is Ni. But instead play 2/5\2/5\2
    i.e. slide from 2 to 5 back to 2 again to 5 and back to 2 (picking only once)
    so u get the more carnatic sounding Ni. Play the entire aarohanam with this new Ni, and it will sound better.

12. meena

meena New Member

thanks a lot Mr. Ananth

Will pass this on to my daughter, and her vocal CM teacher maybe with this they can figure it out, since the teacher knows to play keyboard.

If further assistance needed i will post my query here. Pl. help again! thanku very much regards ~meena

13. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

You totally rule Ananth! Great work!:)

14. golisoda

golisoda Comfortably Numb

15. meena

meena New Member

Mr. Ananth

can u pl. give me the tabs for this song which is in raga kapi? thank you very much this is one of the songs my daughter will perform..could you pleaze also give some tips for this song?

song is below...
    RAG AM: KAPI MISHRA CHAPU

SR2M1PN3S -SN2D2N2PM1G3R2S

PALLAVI

N,,S,,]NS,R]SNS,]]N,,P,,]MP,N]P M P ,]] G,,R,,]SRPM]GRS,]]N,,S,,]RRMM]PPNN]]
    S , ,]N ,]P,]] G,R ]SR]PM]]G"R,,]S,]S,]]S, ,]RM]PN]]
    Paa hi mam sri raa ma chan dra ... ...

NSNRSR]NSNP]MGR,]] RMGR,M]GRSN]DNPM]]

1 - P,G]R,]S,]]NDN]PM]P,]] P,S]N, ]P,]]MGR]RM]PN]]
    Akkaratho paadhamulaku mrokithine la pa ra ku

if this does not show up correctly or if you have any questions about the song plz email at meena_140@hotmail.com and i shall scan and email you the song if that wil help you

thank you once again
    meena :]

16. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

First of all, let me tell u I am no expert in carnatic music. I am just a beginner.

Now Kapi has two "Ni"s, N3 and N2. look at the notations u have provided it is impossible to tell whether its N3 or N2. (I have trouble even after listening, most of the times!)

Is there any place where I can listen to the song?
    I can't assure u that I'll tab the songs cos I am still learning to understand them myself. But I can try to give u some tips about parts of the song. Your teacher must be able to guide u to the notes if u play the guitar with him/her.

17. meena

meena New Member

Hi Mr ananth,

Sorry there is no audio clip available on the net.

Since i have not learned CM, it is hard to help my daughter figure which Ni's .
    My daughter too said the same that she would play it for the teacher, she may able to guide. If any doubts i shall post our quires. thanks and regards
    ~meena