Carlos Santana + playing tips

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by ssslayer, Aug 10, 2005.

1. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

Was just wondering what all the ppl here on this forum think of 'im ...

Coz i have seen many polls/threads/posts on bands/guitarists/misicians ...
    but i have yet to see one in which this deserving chaqp gets his dues ...

it is really surprising to see (or rather not see) that ppl dont listen to Santana ...

i consider his style to be superior than most of the other "shredder-fuck" stuff etc ...

some tracks of his to consider before forming your opinion:
    1. Samaba Pa Ti
    2. Europa
    3. Evil Ways
    4. Hold On
    5. Jingo Lo Ba
    6. Tales of Kilimanjaro
    7. Soul Sacrifice
    8. Open Invitation
    9. Gitano
    10. She's not there
    11. ok i'll include Black Magic Woman also ... ;)

few links that are helpful for playing:

https://www.riffinteractive.com/rifflesson/MainWindow.asp?dir=/michaelj/mjarchive17/11-15-01

https://www.wholenote.com/default.a...enote.com/member/profile/plessons.asp?i=23383

2. real_illusions

real_illusions Clapton Is GOD

He's awesome. you should see his woodstock performance. Unbelievable!!

3. mr singh

mr singh New Member

hey santana is 1 hell of a gud musician and guitar player, my perosnal fav santana song is "maria maria she reminds me of westside story"....

4. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

santana is one of the most overrated guitar players of all times.

his band who supports him is awesome..but he is a very very average guitar player..
    the percussionists in his band are like world class.

if u want to listen to melodic playin....instead of the regular shred..
    go listen to MICHAEL SCHENKER..

some of his recent performances are really sad..the only thing that is good abt him is his tone.

if u want to learn to play like santana..u must..
    1.never back a song..
    2.play counter leads in dorian in all the songs.
    3.make lots of faces.
    4.tremelo pick to make the crowd go nuts.

5. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

quite true ... but not overrated on this site ... anyway there are hardly other ppl who know how to make use of dorian properly ... mostly trashy death/thrash metal guitarist ... who just go "tuuuutuuuttttutututtt ... tuingtuingtuing ... waowaowoweee ... whooosh ... tiktik taktak ..." ...

ROTFL ...

making faces is quite natural .. especially while bending strings ...

Michael Schenker is good ... agreed ...

no probs with crowd going nuts ... u gotta be an entertainer on the stage ... thats how Peter Townshend and Jimi Hendrix gained popularity ...

hey are u anti popularity???

6. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

makin faces is ok.hahhaha..i make funny faces while playin too...man the times ive gotten flamed for it.

i do like some of his stuff.
    but i feel...he is one of those guitarists who got worse and worse as they played more.if that made any sense.
    o well.
    he is considered a legend tho...so go ahead and praise him.
    btw..i think hendrix is awesome.

7. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

hendrix is way too overrated ...

and yeah i know u expected that ...

8. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

hendrix---
    1)one of the pioneers of electric guitar.
    2)great lyrics.
    3)balls out improvisin.
    4)great showmanship..obviously better than santana.
    5)he died early,one can only think of the sounds he would have created with the present technology ..say..using a whammy pedal,floyd rose...etc etc.
    ahhh..one can only imagine.

9. mr singh

mr singh New Member

hendrix was truly gr8, the guy cud play wit his teeth, lol

10. mr singh

mr singh New Member

the bottom line is hendrix was amazin...
    even if he cudnt play wit his penis,
    wait n c, mayb in another coulpe of years we shall c ssslayer breaking the record boks and coming on stage 2 share his wonderful talent wit us ;). perhaps u cud also make a guide in which u show the best positions and how 2 get better quality sound and performance? ;)
    neway, on santana...
    santana is gr8, but i thik hendrix just has that edge over him.
    hendrix had that awe/ aura surrounding him, santana just doesnt hav that 4 me.

11. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

methinks i'll havta change my profession then ... abhi ki part time hobby ko full time profession bana padega ...

12. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

can nyone tell me whats a floyd rose??is it some variety of rose?

13. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

no its a type of floyd :)

hahahaha....

no its a type of bridge.

14. mfarid

mfarid New Member

Guys...I agree Santana is just an average player and has in fact gotten worse over time. His performance lately has been anything but satisfactory despite all the ovation he receives (lifetime achievement etc. etc...)...
    I also think Hendrix is just another overrated player. I think if you really look around you will see quite a few others in the same era (and therefore same old technology) who are just as good, if not better.

In short, both Carlos and Jimi were overrated in terms of playing skills.
    But again, if you judge a person's guitar by playing quality/adeptness, you are simply narrowing down your vision and losing focus. A person's guitar is not his/her playing dexterity but overall effect he/she creates in the mind of the listener. With that having said, I rate Santana as one of the most mind-boggling heart-rending guitarists of all time along with Jimi, and David Gilmour (his guitar on "Comfortably numb" is something I will always hold high regardless of the fact that given it's simplicity, any damn fool can play that). Look at Hank Marvin, don't you think he is another of those guitar Gods, so to speak? In the same way, Chris Rea, and Mark Knopfler, each of have their own share of mesmerizing qualities regardless of how good they play. In contrast, Malmsteen's (and some Satriani's too) work work is simply boring at times. Too technical but lacks the emotion. Van Halen? Now, you're talking! Slash too. Randy Rhodes? Awesome. Even an Indian like Prasanna found his ground with his unique Carnatic sound that was later picked up by other westerners. Larry Carlton? You be the judge. While I settle in bed listening to one of my favorite guitarists of all time Toni Iommi's fabulous work on the Black Sabbath albums! Don't get me wrong, I am just as open and receptive to something like Tim Renwick/Poco as I am to the otherwise crappy Motorhead and their rendering of "Ace of Spades" - which I find uplifting at times.

15. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

OYE !!!

dont say anything about MOTORHEAD ... neway welcum to the IGT ... :grin:

16. mr singh

mr singh New Member

oi how come i didnt get a welcome 2 igt wen i joined, huh ssslayer...
    im not impressed and slightly disheartened, lol. ;)

17. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

ok ... so now i welcome u to the 50+ posts group ... :)