Can we play Hindustani Classical ragas on Guitar

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by shashi9994, May 26, 2010.

1. shashi9994

shashi9994 New Member

I am newbe to Guitar and taking classes now (4 classes old). Guitar being a Western Musical instrument, is it possible to play Hindustani classical ragas on Guitar?

I would like learn Hindustani Classical instrumental music. If not all, learn at least few ragas properly first and then move on to learn playing songs.

Thanks

2. geoguitar

geoguitar New Member

hi i'm a new be and i tell u one thing its not easy that playing hindustani music with guitar unless or until you get mastered in playing. because it needs some melo smooth soulful touch i think you got it , all the best ,take an atmost care of ur guitar

3. shashi9994

shashi9994 New Member

ah!. Thanks. I have been going through many posts on this forum. I read some posts where they have given mapping to Hindustani ragas.

4. rahhat

rahhat New Member

western and eastern classical music are almost simillar at many junctures...if u know the basic connection i.e [ S r R g G M m P d D n N S = C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C] (KEY OF C)
    dis is d basic...u can take any raag e.g

PATDEEP : ,N S g M P N S || S' N D P M g R S

SCALE : B C D# F G A B C || C B A G F D# D C

So in simillar fashion u can convert any raag into d western scale format and construct chords or play solo anything ...... its only a little problematic in case of raagas which have dissimilar arroh n avaroh (like in patdeep raag)....bt u can make small changes acc. to ur needs

5. rocky101

rocky101 New Member

Playing Indian Ragas on Guitar

Check out "Learn how to play indian ragas on your guitar" on amazon.com, by rajan mirchandani

6. rkalwale97

rkalwale97 New Member

hello frndss.....

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Have you learnt bending the strings to perfection?

8. Ashyantony7

Ashyantony7 Performer

hmm.. I guess you know hindustani music before.. if your mind is filled with that you'll make a bad student and progress slow since western theories could confuse you.. so clear your mind and learn guitar as a western instrument first.. to play such things you need mastery of both.. since yu are new to guitar I wish you progress well.. happy guitarin.. :)

9. Ashyantony7

Ashyantony7 Performer

hmm.. I guess you know hindustani music before.. if your mind is filled with that you'll make a bad student and progress slow since western theories could confuse you.. so clear your mind and learn guitar as a western instrument first.. to play such things you need mastery of both.. since yu are new to guitar I wish you progress well.. happy guitarin.. :)

10. rktpro

rktpro New Member

Learn Hindustani Ragas when you are beginner is of no use. Why to cram just a solo? Learn the western theory and then learn the Indian theory. This would help a lot.