Can play any tune...but can't figure out the chords, help

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by luvmusic, Nov 1, 2004.

1. luvmusic

luvmusic New Member

Hi Guys:

I can play almost any tune on my guitar unless it's really fast...but I can't figure out the chords...I think If I am able to play the tune I should be able to to figure out the chords too...What should I do or what do I need to learn...please advise. If you give me some examples that would be great !!!

Thanks you all!

2. ImR@|\|

ImR@|\| GuiTar MaNiaC

If possible den go to any teaching place ! If not den buy a guitar lesson Book named as K.I.S.S or any other ! If Dis is also not possible den try to visit websites abt guitars ! Minor and major chordz lyk Em,Cm,Dm,F# ,G Bb , Bm dese r mostly Used for easy songs so try to learn dem! Hope this helped U!
    Best regards
    | I m R a N |

3. rahul_njs

rahul_njs New Member

Hi,
    If possible try to find the scale in which u play the lead of the the song.
    Once you do that chords can be guessed easily.
    Also keep in mind the family of chords..
    Hope this has helped u..

Raul

4. luvmusic

luvmusic New Member

Thank you, guys!

5. hotguy_me

hotguy_me New Member

Well Luvmusic To Develop Sense For Music Listen To Music As Much You Can. Start Of With Humming With All The Chords Normally Used In Songs Major, Minor And 7th. Once You Master This Technique To Figure Out Which Chord Is It On Humming You Will Be Able To Tab Any Damn Song On This Earth . Try It , It Might Help You :)

6. i also have same prob when i try to play the chord it does not sound so ggod my guitar is well tuned
    then we play one chord n have to play the next what should be done should we stop n play it does not sound good plzzzz help thnx

7. Arindam.Ray

Arindam.Ray Undertaker

I Can help u...

Hey,
    You gotta learn Chord-Progression..mail me I'll teach you.My Id is [SNIP]
    Don't hesitate...Iam Guitar Teacher.

8. nishantsaran

nishantsaran New Member

hey Buddy,

how to figure out chords...ssuggest you read jayanth's post on Playing by ear in the Lessons forum

the easiest way to figure out what chord is to hear the bass note.... andplay the chord that is the same as the bass note.

e.g. if in the song you have bass note as A playing at that time, then the chord is most likely to be A (try majot or minor or 7 one of these should sound right) or one of the chords from the triad

also its a good idea to listen to a song a lot of time some 10-12 times so that you are better attuned to the transitions and the strumming styles.

9. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

key is develop an ear for harmony. try to focus on stuff other than vocals and interlude instrumental melodies when listening to a song. For example if kishore kumar is singing, try to mute him out mentally and focus on the instrumentation behind his voice..
    also try to filter out every track ina song and focus on one particular track each time.. if u try this along with the other suggestions in this thread it might help.
    one song u can try this experiment on is the new song from swades yoohi chala jaa..
    its a very simple song in A mixolydian - just a variant of E D and its variants like E7 D6 or E7 D/B progs through out. The key thing that creates the harmonic textures is how the different tracks layer and super impose over each other and compliment the classical raag based vocal melodies. focus on the bass riff, the acoustic guitar rhythm riff (which si doubled by the keyboard ) etc... and see if u can filter out the various tracks and what each track is doing.

Hope this helps.

Jay

10. s'p'lash

s'p'lash New Member

i dont know how to fig out the bass notes! can some 1 help?

11. well i think jay is right i use this technique n can figure out how to play chords for some songs but still having some prob with other songs n hearing them again n again increses the quality i play n i know when to hit strum n all

12. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

:) tough eh? yea it is sometimes tough.. my suggestion is listen to the music on a good music system, and not too loud... also dont listen to mp3s.. mp3 compression screws up the bass most of the time.. makes it muddy in my opinion... fm radio - same , fm compression is bass and high treble killer. buy CDs and listen to the music.

Jay

13. El macho

El macho New Member

I agree with this Jay! MP3 s make difference to the quality. And moreover we are not supporting the music we enjoy by buying/downloading MP3s of it.

cheers,

14. s'p'lash

s'p'lash New Member

Strumming is not a problem for me.
    yea jay is right.But the method he suggested is against my appetite :(

15. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Thread should be in Beginners Q&A forum, it will be moved.

16. divva

divva New Member

hi im new here n new to guitar as well can u tell me whats that em cm dm gm# n all that stuff i simply cant undestand these things.i badly need a help

17. divva

divva New Member

hi um actually im new n also new to guitar so can u tell mesum basics n hey listen what that humming?im waitin

18. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

divva, just give it some time.. u can do the following:
    1> take music lessons
    2> continue with your self learning process on the net
    3> hang around with musicially inclined friends.

just giove it time.. in 2 3 years u will be there.

19. maverick8218

maverick8218 New Member

Hey divya, a small advice, if you are theoretically inclined, try picking up some music theory basics, that will make you feel comfortable with the theoretical jargon out here.