cAn PC port replace aMp

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by dextor, Aug 20, 2005.

1. dextor

dextor New Member

gUys......... who know a bit about both amps and guitar ports for PC.................kindLy tell me if i buy a port or a sound card ddat can connect my guitar to my Pc....................will i wont be needing any amp any; more...........i mean.......................my amp is givin me trouble lately................and i am thinkin of buyyin a guitar pORt or a sound card whatever u cal it........................and do also tell if i can get some effects through my pc.........................kNdly inlight me here...........cause if i buy a pC porT...........i might sell my amp...................so il lbe all alone wid my pc and my guitar.................................................please giv as much detail aas u can ...................................

2. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

You'll need a superb soundcard and speakers for that. But the best is thing is to use an amp. Plus amps are portable.

3. J.J

J.J The Guitar God

i agree with addy but if u really want ur pc to work like an amp then u will need a good quality sound card...big speakers and there are a few programs you can download from the net that makes ur pc give REALLY COOL effects all kinds like rock blues distortion acoustic u name it dude anyway the name of this cool software is "REVALVER"

4. shadow_auror

shadow_auror New Member

I used to connect my Guitar To my PC. I dont think u need a totally High End sound card because Every sound card now comes with a line in Port and a microphone port Where u could connect Your Guitar.But u need a Wire whose one end has the big jack that goes into your guitar and the other side the small jack...The type of ones which goes into Headphones etc.... I use creative 5.1 Speakers....Good quality speakers are absolutely necessary...Another virtual effects Software i would recommend is "Guitar FX box"....Rock on!!!!

5. dextor

dextor New Member

tHanks guys for ur response................adddy.........ur right that amps are portable but i only play within the limits of my room................and i am a sort of guy who hardly gets 15 minutes a day of playin my guitars.................and some 2 hours on weekends..................i am seriously thinkin of swithchin to PC from amp cause i cant afford at the moment ssome of the effects processors............................
    and yeh JJ and shadow _au u guys are right..........i will go for some good speakers cause i dont thnk dat quality of guitar stuff avialable in karachi is worth what they sell it for..............may be.........i am not sure....

is the distortion any good in PC then amP?????????...........caus one thng i am happpy about my amp is its distortion.........................

6. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

hey wait ...

do you know taht none of the pro guitarist plug their guitar directly to the harware ...
    none ...
    the sound comes thru the mikes ... which pickup the signal from a speaker ...
    and for runing a speaker u need to have an amp ...

the prob is that if u connect directly to soundcard u cannot replicate the speaker where many frequencies are either attenuated or boosted in the speaker ...

infact in all the guitar effect processors u will find there is one cabinet resonator effect ... that effect is almost useless if u use an amp + speaker, but if u use it to directly plug into the soundcard ... the sound quality changes significantly ...

u can check recording direclty to soundcard or via mike ... and u'll know why all the pros prefer mikes ...

7. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

@slayer
    excellent point. i often have to use my PC but its nowhere near an amp.

8. the_NTt

the_NTt New Member

Also, using a PC gives a lag while playing .. which is often annoying :annoyed: !! especially if u have a machine with lower CPU, RAM and a normal soundcard..

I have used amplitube, revalver, Guitar FX .. but they are no where close to the sound of a Amp.

I would suggest spending on a lower end Amp rather than buying good speakers(Creative 5.1) for ur PC .. cost would be almost same .. I think !!

9. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

^ yeah thats true ...
    i have a creative sound card which was for ~2.5 K ... and the 5.1 speaker set for ~5K ... but i didn't get them for guitar ... that was coz i didn't wanna buy a >20K music sytem ... when i can get the same quality with comp (which serves other purpose ... rather than just listening to music) ...

my amp+speaker is Marshall MG10CD ... which was ~3.5K ... u can getr strangers for <2K ...

so even the finance dictates that u go for amp + speaker ... and mike ... and use the soundcard of your motherboard to record ... using windows default recorder ...

u can get hold of freewares like Lame, mplayer/mencoder ... (or i think now even Winamp comes with a ripper) ... so that u can convert the wave files (recorded from the windows recorder) to mp3 ...

10. ustdjohnny

ustdjohnny New Member

Hey slayer, that's not ENTIRELY true. John Mclaughlin now connects his guitar directly to a laptop.
    But you are right that speakers and mics are the best combi.
    Bottomline, theoretically, a comp CAN replace an amp. But it's just not practical, unless, as others have noted, you have a good quality soundcard without latency (lag in playing and hearing).
    However, I plug my GT 6 into the line in of my comp. ANd it does not have any fancy soundcard yet. I have to tweak a few controls to get the sound I want. But I DO get it. :beer:

11. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

GT6 ? .. .is it a processor ... man processors have built in resonators ... which emulate sound from a speaker ... not the same thing as the raw signal ...