Can I use any expression pedal used for lead guitars on a bass

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by debankan, Sep 5, 2005.

1. debankan

debankan The bassist from hell

Can anyone please tell me if I can use any expression pedal used for lead guitars on a bass? All bass pedals and processors I find in my city are imported and way over my budget. :think:

2. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

3. debankan

Thanks Sayan!!!!!

4. debankan

Anything else anybody??

5. Mushroomcloud

Mushroomcloud New Member

as far as i know, you could use a lead guitar expressions pedal on a bass but owigng to the low frequencies, it'll not be effective.
    and what exactly do you mean by an expression pedal? wah,gain,vulume ?

try the digitech bp series, or zoom 506 or 607

6. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

You could use a Bass volume pedal. Rather any good volume pedal like Ernie Ball, Vox, George Dennis will do good for bass too. If you want an expression pedal, what parameter do you want to control. If you need to vary the gain or delay time or delay level or chorus depth or whatever, you should first have a pedal unit or a rack unit that would allow you to control the parameters with an expression pedal. Keeley has a Ibanez AD9 which he mods it and also adds expression pedal to control delay time and delay level. I am sure this can be used with bass too. Another simple option is to get a bass processor and assign the available expression pedal to whatever parameter you want to control.

7. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

yeah pretty much agree with the peeps here ...
    the FX taht dont play around with freq - in those cases u can use the guitar processors or boxes - like dealy chorus echo .. flange etc ...

guitar overdrive / dist also u can use ... just check the impedance (i think bass pickups shouldnt be any diff from guitar - but then they can be coz both require diff freq response) ...
    the impedance mismatch can muck up the circuit as well as the sound ...

regarding the wah - i guess u cud use the guitar wah coz ... guitar wah has band pass filter which use the bass frequencies also ...

but a wah built for bass will sound much better ...

8. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hey Ssslayer, you missed out here. Take any Wah and see the range of frequency it can actually work on. Do a simple test. Guitar range starts from open fret of low E string to the 22nd fret or 24th fret of the high E string. The Wah normally doesn't respond very well through the entire range. You bring whatever Wah, this problem will be there. I have checked the processor Wah, Cry Baby and Morley Bad Horsie. All of them suck at the lowest end and the highest end. Since they hardly quack at the lowest end which means, they are already ruled out for the Bass. So for Wah, you surely need a Bass Wah or some Wah with extended range. A lot of guitar/ bass Wah is available which has switchable modes like the Rocktron Cat Moan or the Tech21 Killer Wail.

9. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

ok ...
    i neva did any frequency response test ;)

but yeah i got your point ... when i play with wah fully down (max bass component) .. i dont get to hear the real bass freq ... just low mids ... true ...

the higher end of freq will suck anyway coz the wah sound will not be produced taht high up in the freq range ...iei if u check using the actual human-vocal "wah" sound as reference ...

i guess the wah works the best in the "Mids" range ... that is D string and G string ... but then taht is just my personal pref ...

well anyway i said bass wah will always be better ... :p: