Can Distortion Pedal can sound more insane????

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Orange Guitar, May 24, 2006.

1. Orange Guitar

Orange Guitar IGT's ALLROUNDER

I use this setup...simple...Behringer EQ>Behringer Vamp-2>Laney TFX2>2x12" Laney Cabinet.....my distortion sound very gud but lacks insanity...can a boss or other distortion pedal make sound a bit better....plz...help...i dont want to throw my money!!!

2. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Line 6 Uber Metal. It has the Pod XT amp "Insane" on it...which is the amp tone used by Meshuggah and Evanescence.
    What tone are you actually aiming for?

3. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

wt kinda "insane sound " do u want??
    like THe COB sorta sound or slipknot?/

4. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

^ exactly I wanted to ask the same Q.... What kind of insanity.... For many Hendrix's Fuzz is Insane!....

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I like Metal amp sim on KORG AX with gain = 10.
    EQ = 10-0-10 (treble-mid-bass)

Pitch shifter with one octave high out and mix level = 4-7 as effects.

Play it and let your ears bleed.

6. Orange Guitar

like Iron Maiden (rythem sound) and Alter Bridge type.....hey abhijitnath....plz gimme a link to this pedal!

7. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

well for that kind of Distortion..IMO, repeat IMO a Boss DS 1 or something in the same style like a Digitech HOT HEAD should do fine... you would also like some echo or reverb along with that.. again IMO....

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Line6 Ubermetal: https://line6.com/tonecore/uberMetal.html

Duh, Orange, Iron Maiden tone is not all hi-gain as you specified.
    Iron Maiden's tone can be emulated by countless pedals which emulate Marshall.

Probably the best + cheapest pedal for you will be Boss DS-1.
    + It is an ORANGE colored pedal.
    :RollLol:

Alter Bridge = MesaBoogie Rectifier tone. I guess your Vamp should be good enuff for that. You should just know how to tweak your processor.
    Infact you can get good Iron Maiden tone too out of it.

My advice:
    Stop tryng to waste money and learn tweaking your VAmp.

9. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

^ +1 to that
    I wont be able to comment much on tube amps. But Maiden is not really to much Insane metal... Infact they are quite melodic....
    But honestly when you said Insaine I thought of the heavier Grunge and deathmetal stuff you here today and things like SKIPLNOT and PINKINLARK ( or whatever that is )...

I think You will be very happy with a DS-1, Guvoner or Hot head... or something on those lines... The Guvoner maight be exoensive though... Another importnat thing is what pickups do you have on the guitar ? If I am correct I am sure they use highoutput pickups to drive the amps harder....
    But doing all that would cost quite a bit.... give the DS-1 a shot, it will also have good resale value, if you dont like it.. ( I honestly still have to meet someone who has hated the DS-1...yes it may have not suited thier style but defintly not heard of anyopne hating it)

10. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

dude..linkinpark aint deathmetal...its just another dum "heavy" rock band...one of the bands i hate....so u wont hear anythin gud about them from me ..

regardin the insane sounds u want ...ahh...i wont recommend buying a stompbox to get iron maidens tone ..just like alpha said..u can easily tweak ur vamp to get there tone ....but ..u really wanna get a pedal...u wont go wrong wit a Ds-1

11. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I know LikinParks not death metal... ( honestly I dont know what category of musci to put them in) :) I hate them too...... It s what I call noise...I madea comment in general if you see what I posted :
    "I thought of the heavier GRUNGE and DEATHMETAL stuff you here today AND things like SKIPLNOT and PINKINLARK ( or whatever that is )..."

12. LEFTY_GUITARIST

LEFTY_GUITARIST -= M®. §öU†|-|ÞäW =-

oye tweak ur processor yaar.for iron maiden and metallica n stuff like tht.

dose ur sound lacks gain????:eek::again, is it teh gain prob??
    but u can buy ds1 or digi metalmaster or somthin like tht....its a good pedal.:grin:

But,i prefer buying an ORANGE coloured mesa boogie tri axis:p:

13. LEFTY_GUITARIST

LEFTY_GUITARIST -= M®. §öU†|-|ÞäW =-

LP is alternative rock.

ok,it's easy to play.....but....not noise, jus listen to vocal range of bennigton.....he is a good vocalist.:nw:

and grunge is too good.:rock:

noise to me is deathmetal..........cannibal corpse andstuff like that.:annoyed:

14. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I actually dont think you should consider the DS-1 for the sounds you're lookng for. A DS-1 on its own is good for fuzzy kinda distortion which is not like the sound you described. I say go for the Digitech Hot head.
    I was really disappointed when i got my DS-1 and found that on its own i could'nt get a tight distortion that everybody wants. Its best when you're using it to drive an amp or another pedal. I use the DS-1 behind the bad monkey through its mixer output and when the Bad Monkey is bypassed the Ds-1 sounds great through the bad monkey's cab emulation....... way better than the DS-1 alone.

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I read somewhere that the way to use DS-1 properly is to keep the Pedal's tone knob turned down almost completely. (That removes the high end fuzzy bit)

And have and EQ pedal after Ds-1 to raise the higher mids.
    That way it has the attack + bright sound of Marshall, without the fuzz.

Anyway, I stick to my guns. I just read more about VAmp.
    Damn you ORANGE, if you cannot get Iron Maiden and AlterBridges out of VAmp, then you require a genuine Marshall stack and Mesa/Boogie Stack to get the tone.
    :grin:

16. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Before i got the Bad Monkey thats how i used to use it unless i wanted a fuzz sound. But the Ds1 is amazing if you use it to drive an amp or another peadl even with the tone know turned up. But i dont turn the tone knob over 12 o clock. If you want the black sabath tone you can turn the tone knob upto 3 o clock or all the way up and set drive to full and use a second pedal to even the sound out and get rid of the fuzz (an EQ pedal or a overdrive like the Bad Monkey with lot of tone shaping)

17. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Hey you use a Bad Monkey too ! :) . I guess I am in good company then. Shridhar try doing what Aplha suggested turn down the tone a bit and use a Equaliser. I kind of agree with you on the Hot Head... the contorls for the High and Low give it an edge over the DS-1 when it comes to controling the tone... Thats another reason why Ilike the Bad Monkey because of the tone controls..

18. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

opp I think You posted at the same time I was posting my post :)

19. Orange Guitar

ok...the DS-1 is not 2 gud...it lacks the edge of edge of metal (more rocking)....the problem is that when u r doin rythem...the up and down strum is very noticable....the sound is not in the flow....my Laney amp delivers a very gud distorted sound but the sound is not smooth....i got EMGs 81 and 83 in my ESP....they r built for metal.....so the guitar cant be the problem...its the amp and processor....i want clear smooth sound...if u listen to Metallica then u should notice that they have hard crunchy distorted sound....perfect for metal...i cant get that sound....Mark Tremonti's sound is also at high gain but it goes smooth....and wt is the price of Line6 Ubermetal?

PS. i have figured out the sound of Maiden's clean and lead both on V-amp...but the rythem is powerfull!!!!!