Can any one tell me how can i improve my strumming

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by RAVISHINGBOY, Jul 20, 2004.

1. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

totally agree with ESSI.. Something down the lines of my first reply here.,.

2. prags1309

prags1309 New Member

just cant get thru the right pattern for the required song, itz so distresssing ?
    just curious are thr any exercises which may help my strumming patterns...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. jayanth

No exercises Build your own pattern.. Get the timing right.. Practice is your only exercise and solution..

4. RAVISHINGBOY

RAVISHINGBOY J@CksoN BoY !

Hiez Jayanth ..
    Hmm can u do me A favour if u got time ..
    please add a Reply with the Most common strumming partten used IN songs slow or fast ..
    it will add a fine collection in ur Tutroials ...

5. jayanth

Ther are a million different patters yo ucan build .. If you ask me to name them all i could not.. YOu can start by playing Down down down down all the time and put an ocassional Up stroke where ever necessay. Thast how it works..

6. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Problem in improving speed.

Hi Jayanth,
    I am playing with a Metronome and practising some simple scales. Now I am kind of trying to improve my speed and accuracy. I play horribly slow if it sounds okay. I play with the metronome setting of ONE two three four ONE two three four. One is accented. It play four notes between each stroke ie play 16 notes in a count of ONE two three four. With this the maximum I am able to reach is 80 in the speed of metronome. Everybody I meet speaks of at least 250 in metronome speed. One problem I have noticed is my fretting fingers are not really fast and the next and the biggest problem is my picking hand gets stuck. My picking hand is not improving at all. I am practising regularly, but my improvement is not good at all. How do I solve this.

:rock:

7. jayanth

maybe your attack onto the strings is wrong.. Tehre are certain ways to hol the pick.. I';ll show you when i meet.. BTW i didnt jump to 240.. It took me all the four years to go there.. Start playing songs in between these exercises. .Then you will get speed.. Cause it takes your mind off the boring scales.. Its all phsycological. YOur hands will move automatically..

8. FaWaD

FaWaD New Member

Well i dont kno but i m kinda beginner too.. have been playing for a few months.. i normally just read the chords if i need to from this website.. its kinda strange to read the strumming pattern and follow them aimlessly..

like someone mentioned here, i totally agree, u need to listen to the song closely and get the feeling of it.. its hard to play a song (especially for beginners like me) without the feel of the song.. as soon as u get the feeling the strumming comes out naturally..

its just like playing drums or producing a beat but on the strings..

9. Bandbaaja

Bandbaaja Pronounced Band Baaaa Ja

10. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

actaully i think there are some simple excersies to build up strumming pattersn - wat ill do is ill make some midi files of some nice strummnig aptterns... ill post them here- try to figure them out.. they wont be too hard....

thatll be good practice.. to those aplying abrre chords.... im getting tired of saying this - hold the chords and pick each note seperately, keep adjsuting ur fingers till uget every string to sound.. ull eventually get the whole chord...

11. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

ok heres one - ill psot more later

its a midi file - loop it and try to get it... its got a rhythm and a backing beat - the chords are Amajor, D major and E major -its simple

Attached Files:

12. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

^^nice. post more.