cabinet modelling

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Ibanezed, Oct 3, 2006.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

In a Beginner's Forum, one poor beginner is asking for help and look at the kind of answer you give. It just shows off...

2. axeman1986

axeman1986 New Member

Wow. I didn't once insult the person. I just said his amp falls under the "piece of shit" category (something that has been spewed on these forums over time by innumerable persons). His AMP. NOT HIM. Did he mention his budget? NO. Did he say all he had was Rs. 2000? NO he didn't. If a beginner had Rs. 2000 to spend, I'd advise him to wait a while till he got some more money so that he could buy a better amp. That's called sound advice. Wouldn't you do the same?

Initally what I said was meant to be a joke. thehundredthone got it. Unfortunately, you didn't and decided to get all choked up and sentimental.

Peace out man.

3. axeman1986

axeman1986 New Member

Don't label him "poor". Talking about someone's financial status without knowing facts is NOT COOL.

4. Johny Bravo

Johny Bravo The Boy Genius!

Ok ok back off both o ya!

@topic: I guess u got what u were looking for. Any more questions??

5. ronnieanand

Poor not financially, poor with the kind of help he gets for his queries. Not understanding context is also Not Cool.

6. axeman1986

axeman1986 New Member

It was a joke. Stop getting so f*****g touchy about everything.

7. ronnieanand

Now why are you getting touchy.....:cool:

8. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Baba Ki JAI .............ALakh Niranjan.

Zara hamaare thread Mein Bhi aapki Krupa Barasaiye Ronnie BABA.

9. rohit

rohit New Member

well people buy gear like stranger or kustom because of budget constraint and poor knowledge about gear.so if anyone owns such a gear we need to advice him for a better gear and not thrash his gear.

10. Ibanezed

Ibanezed New Member

Ronnie Baba Ki Jai Ho!!
    Axemanbaba Ki Maa Ki Jai Ho!!

11. guitarfreak_106

guitarfreak_106 New Member

i agree that stranger isn't great... well its my first amp something a bought in a hurry. i have a J & D strat copy and a Zoom 707 II. Since the amp seems to me the worst of the of the three, i figured changing it should improve my sound . thats the whole point of the research.
    does preamp refer to the inbuilt distortion i have seen in some amps or can it be a multi fx processor like the zoom?
    Something that got me confused is a forum( jemsite ) which has seperate threads 1) on guide to choosing tubes , 2) on guide to choosing amps. So much like pups do people get their amplifier tubes changed?
    Or should I just a get standalone effect like badmonkey/or change my guitar pups to improve my sound. Buying a branded guitar is not feasible for me right now.

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

1. Yup. Changing the amp will yield phenomenal difference in tone. In the world of electric guitars, the amp is as important, if not more, than the guitar itself.

2. Preamp sectiojn is the one that comes first in an amplifier. Ideally, all the overdrive, distortion and voicing should happen in the preamp section. The power amp is supposed to just amplify the output from preamp into a very large signal that can drive the speakers.

HOWEVER, in reality, teh poweramp section also contributes to the tone : as in overdrive and voicing. Infact, Eddie Van Halen and Angus Young (obviously there would be more, but these two names come immediately to my mind) got almost all teh overdrive from the poweramp section instead of preamp section.

So you know both preamp as well as poweramp section of a tube amp contribute to the "distortion" and tone, and these characteristics can be changed by changing the type of tubes.

3. Your processor pedal can act like a preamp. For this to hold true, you need to feed the output signal from your processor directly into the poweramp section of your amplifier.

However, I am sure such a provision does not exist on most of the amplifiers.
    If you have a line-in port on your amp, try that. That way you will bypass the "preamp" tone coloring section of your SS amp.

4. Your quest is improving the tone. The max contribution to the tone comes from the last effect/amp etc.

So say your signal chain is : Guitar pickups -> Bad Monkey -> Amplifier -> speakers (cabinet).

Your order of precedence should be:
    a. speakers
    b. ampliflier
    c. overdrive pedal
    d. pickups

Since yours is a combo amp, speakers and amp both come bundled up :)
    If you dont wanna change your amp, you should start thinking about the overdrive/distortion pedal, which will lead to next immediate improvement in perceivable tone.

Bad Monkye is pretty good pedal for overdrive. There is a whole lotsa pedals to deal with overdrive / distortion / fuzz etc. You got a huge choice here.

13. guitarfreak_106

guitarfreak_106 New Member

What amps do guitarists generally use(at home and the odd gig) - tube (stack or combo) or solid state?
    Please suggest a model.
    Also at college gigs i have never seen the guitarist walk in with an amp, they just connect their guitar and processor to the amp provided by the sound guys...clarify?

14. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

a lot of beginner guitarists use a solid state combo amp. they are cheaper and require (in most cases) less care than a tube amp. the most well known (and used?) amps in india are stranger and moreso the marshall 15cdr.

there are however those who prefer using tube amps for the "organic sound" that tubes give (analog breakup as compared to digital clipping - there are threads about this on this site)

guitarists in india mostly use the amps that that are provided by the organisers. very few prefer to mic their own amps (owing to a majority using low-end ss amps)

tube amplifiers (just the head or a combo) are expensive. they cost 10s of thousands of rupees. you'd spend ~$400+ if buying a decent tube amp in the states. don't quote me on this though i'm not a 100% sure. look on ebay (us/uk) for used prices.

do some research on the difference between tube amps and ss amps, the difference between the sounds from different tubes, and most of all check ebay+online stores for approximate prices. i don't think any store in india stocks tube amplifiers (owing to the lack of demand)

15. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

How much would it cost to make a 20W Tube Amp?

16. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

As of July 25. I was (much more) stupid back then :p: