Buying my second acoustic Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ketaankanani, Apr 25, 2006.

1. ketaankanani

ketaankanani New Member

Hi Friends, I have been a regular visitor to this site since the past one month and am posting my first message. I have a Givson G215 f-Hole model the neck of which has bended now. I want to buy a new good Acoustic Guitar. I went through all the discussions & tips on purchase of new Guitar in this forum and had frozen on buying either a Hobner 240 cutaway or an imported guitar. The other day I went through a few shops and really liked the SQUIER SD6 Natural Acoustic Guitar (( picture attached)) . It sounded amazing.... even better than the Yamaha or the Samick available in the shop. But it costs Rs. 8000/-. ..(and its of a dreadnought shape and does not have a cut)

Do you suggest I buy a Hobner cutaway(Rs. 3500-4000) and put good bronze strings, or shall I go ahead and buy the SQUIER?

The YAMAHAs & SAMICKS are very costly.. (start at Rs. 12000/-+), and the one GB&A available there (for Rs. 5000/-) did not sound or feel good.

Pls suggest. My budget is anthing till Rs. 8000/- and would ideally like to have a cutaway jumbo. Picture of SQUIER attached.

Attached Files:

2. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

i just bought a fender acoustic 2 weeks ago and i found it better than any of the yamaha's i tried. it was for 9000 rs. if it is available in your area i suggest you buy it

3. born2tab

born2tab rhythm guitarist

Dude i have a Hobner Jumbo .When i had purchased it last year i felt as it was the finest guitar i have ever come across in accoustics..But with time it changed.Some of the frets have gone hollow and dont give out proper sounds..Was it due to manhandling(by ma kid brother) I m not sure but it happened.So wait for a few more opinions.

4. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

If I were you i would go for the Fender, if I had a choice between those guitars. Your Fender would alos have a great resale Value any day

5. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Also what wood is in the Fender is it all rosewood? the top would be cedar mostly.

6. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

SQUIER SD6

Now available in Arctic White!
    Take it with you anywhere you go and play anything you want on it—nothing’s easier to work into an active lifestyle than an acoustic guitar. Squier’s SD-6 steel-string acoustic is an ideal first acoustic. The SD-6 is a full-size dreadnought with a satin finish; Agathis top, back and sides; Rosewood fingerboard and bridge and chrome-plated tuning machines. The tone, playability and durability are exceptional for a guitar in this price range.

Also available in Natural.

My vote goes for the Fender.

7. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

my fender has maple top and rosewood fretboard

8. pikrohit

pikrohit New Member

i was also searching for an acoustic. i noticed that guitars are cheaper at www.bajao.com than the other shops. moreover they also provide some free stuff. i dont know whether to buy a guitar from a website or not.

i chkd out the website of bhargavas. takamine costs 7-8k. luks pretty decent
    i think GB&a are also gud. try some more. somethin might be wrong with the one u tried out.

9. metal=heaven

metal=heaven New Member

one of my friends has a hobner but w/o the cutaway,sounds pretty decent tht guitar.i guess tht one ws for 3800!!
    but i suggest u buy the Squier!!

10. ketaankanani

ketaankanani New Member

Thanks guys. I think the popular opinion is that I should go for the SQUIER. Anyway.. when i played the guitar it sounded just amazing....

i have also gone through bajao.com.. however, i am very scepticle of the quality of guitar when you buy online.. who knows what might turn up at your doorstep..

which Fender model have you purchased 'god_of_guitar"?

of all the models i tried no one came close to Fender/SQUIER....

11. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Hi Ketan, I normaly dont recomend going down to Furtados. But The Fender Squire acoustic I seen ther was nice, also so were the Oviation. But the Ovitaions would be more expensive. For the price I really suggest the Fender. Hobner is good, Indian brand but you cant compare the squire to it. If you can get the guitar at your local shop. I suggest do that and buy it. I dont recomend buying guitars online, just to save some cash.Though Bajjaoo seems very friendly, warm and open, in my interaction with them. But alot can happen in handling.

12. .:VinAY:.

.:VinAY:. New Member

fender - better re sale value, sure quality

I got myself an Ibanez PF5CE-NT last year from the U.S.(200$) and it sounds like heaven so i suggest if u do kno any1 whos cmn down from thr u could ask him to pick it up for u...tho make sure uV tried the model before u ask for it...the Fender's at Furtados are quite good too, try having a look at them..

13. cronix

cronix New Member

Get a fender dg4ce..... i think god of guitar has the same one too.... it is at a good value at 9100/-.... but get it quick. the prices are going to go up due to VAT.I just got mine.

14. Double Click

Double Click New Member

I went to rythyms today with a friend who wanted to buy a new accoustic and tried out alot of the accoustics over there, includin a yamaha, montana, GB&A, Signature and a Pluto ( we were there for a long time ;-)) And somehow I just fell in love with the Pluto.... Now I am seriously considering gettin one for myself. Only problem is I'm broke :mad: (guess I'll have to lay off Pecos and corner house for a while)

But Seriously, take a look at the Pluto accoustics. They are pretty damn good.

15. ketaankanani

ketaankanani New Member

Dear Friends,
    The Fender DG4CE that is available at Braganza in Kolkata is for Rs. 12000/-. Can you tell me where are you getting the same for Rs. 9100/-. I would in that case buy from there?

16. ketaankanani

ketaankanani New Member

Dear Friends,

Waiting for your reply. Can you tell me where can I get the Fender DG4CE for Rs. 9100/- .... either from Kolkata or from Mumbai.

I am located in Kolkata. However, I visit Mumbai frequently and can pick it up from there too if available.

However. at Braganza Music shop the Fender DG4CE is available for Rs. 12000/- which seems to be on the expensive side.

17. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

You can get them at Furtados.

18. ketaankanani

ketaankanani New Member

I had called up Furtados and had asked for their Price List too. They quoted the FENDER DG4CE at Rs. 12000/- too.

Any other place where I can get for Rs. 9100/-? Kindly provide their phone numbers if possible.