Buying instrument cables for guitar.

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by amithkallupalam, Jan 1, 2012.

1. amithkallupalam

amithkallupalam New Member

2. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

I have experience using the Warwick patch cables - 6 inches for connecting pedals. They are ok. No noise at all when they are new. But somehow they dont last long. I mean few twist and turns to the wire and it starts getting noisy...Has happened to 3 cables so far.

I use Fender Noiseless cable to connect my guitar to the pedals i think this ones 8feet long. Amazing cable..Absolutely noiseless. M using one since last 2 years now. No problem at all.

Really depends upon how u use it i feel

3. mymusicmyguitar

Ohh by the way some pro player in the shop had suggested this to me once. "The thicker the cable the better it is". Never experienced it yet. Also a lot depends on what jack is being used to connect to the cables.

4. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Spectra cables with neutrik plugs is what i use and i highly recommend them...

5. amithkallupalam

Guys i asked the shop nearby and they said fender cables that are 5 m long cost 1200 rupees!! I think its a rip off!

6. mymusicmyguitar

Fender cables are costly. Spectra ones u get it for 500/- u can use those

7. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member

the thicker the cable the lesser the resistance offered...hence better...

8. wylder

wylder Member

Also, usually thicker = better shielding from noise and better physical strength to avoid breakage of the conductor inside.

Rock Cables are decent but prone to breakage over time. Simple solution is to open the plug ends and re-solder if it looks severed.
    I have used Fender cables a while ago. The one I got had a tremendously long life. No real noise issues.
    Best cables I have used are Monster cables. Pricey but low noise and very low impedance and hence no loss of low/high end in signal.

Btw, breakage of the solder joints do happen in most cables over time. Learn to re-solder and always check your cables the day before getting on stage. Also, the thicker the cable, less flexible it is. So don't wind them in tight loops when putting them in your bag.

9. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

Look for cables with low capacitance, they will sound better. I just bought a Planet Waves Classic series and it is good, bought it for 630/- for 10ft. It has lifetime guarantee so if it goes bad just take it to the place you bought it from and they'll give you a replacement.

And also for information resistance of the cable has got nothing to do with it being better sounding because the input impedance of the amp is usually in mega-ohms so if the cable is 10ohms or 50ohms it hardly makes a difference. What we need to look for is the capacitance of the cable as high capacitance will affect the signal negatively. And thicker the better is not completely true. Check out some Mogami cables they are best in line but not thick and yet provide best shielding. The shielding has more to do with the materials used for shielding the cable. This info is only true for instrument cables, speaker cables are a completely different story.

PS: Longer the cable higher will be its capacitance, so buy only the length you need.

10. amithkallupalam

Ok im getting planet waves custom series because of its lifetime warranty!

11. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

What about us poor people that own cables with plastic molded jacks. I'll have to break and then replace the jack altogether I'm guessing.