Buying an old Fender. Help Needed

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ronnieanand, Mar 29, 2005.

?

Should I buy this Guitar

1. Don't Buy It.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Buy It and replace worn out parts. Please suggest the price I can pay for this.

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hi,
    I recently came across an old 1998 Model Mexican Fender Standard Stratocaster. I went and checked the guitar myself. I am listing down the condition

1. The bridge looks rusted and may need chrome coating or even replace a new bridge.
    2. The body paint is chipped at one place and there are a few scratches on the body.
    3. Rosewood Fingerboard looks neat. But few frets were buzzing at around 9 to 12 fret. There is absolutely no warp in the fretboard. My guess is either the frets are worn out or maybe setting up the neck might be of some help.
    4. Bridge has a Seymour Duncan hot rails stacked humbucker but sounds horrible either because the pickup is screwed up or it's not wired properly. The neck and middle pickup looks okay but the pole pieces are rusted.
    5. Solid tuning keys and stays in tune pretty much even with wild vibrato bar usage. I checked this.

I am considering changing the bridge with original Fender replacement parts and I might change the pick ups to Lace Sensor or Bill Lawrence pickups.

Considering this condition for a 7 or 8 year old Mexican Strat, how much do you think I can pay for it in India. I dont want to ripped off and at the same time, I dont want to rip that guy off too by taking it for too less. I am even doubtful to whether I should buy this or not. I am kind of getting pulled for this because my Big Hero Ritchie Blackmore :nw: and my other Heros Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton :nw: uses a Fender Strat ofcourse not this model. I am getting kind of blinded by the name irrespective of the condition of the guitar. I dont have dough to buy a good Fender either.

Give me your opinions and suggestions.

2. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

even thought its a Fender Mexican its still as solid (in case of abuse tolerance) as the Fender USA.

1) this would be a concern, how much does it cost to replace the bridge?
    2) doesnt matter, ever seen Rory Gallagher's guitar?
    3) I would be concerned with the fret buzzing, 9 to 12 means you can't play a lot of songs :(
    4) That Seymour Duncan would be my biggest concern as to why its not sounding proper, the person your buying it off did he mess around with any settings?
    5) Sounds like the Tuning Keys are still the original which is good news.

all this rust is really a concern to be honest. A retail price for the Mex Strat is around £350 brand new. Considering that the cost to replace the bridge, a few frets and refurbishing the pickups it could total up to around £150. So really i wouldn't pay the guy any more than a £100-150 if it was me, btw I am considering that this guitar is in really bad condition.

As for the Strat's age 7-8 years isn't much when talking about Fenders/Gibsons/Ibanez/(insert other quality guitar manufactuer here).

can you get any pics for it?

3. shak

shak Harrr!

3.fret buzz is concern for me, 9 to 12 .... ooo thats the guitar's sweet spot... i reckon its becuase of fret wear ... check that out ..
    4. hmm yeah probably the pickup isnt wired properly, the phasing and the polarity must be messed up, cuz sd's normally sound great on fenders.
    rest: as rabi said ... i agree...should not pay more than 100-150 GBP (or equivalent) for that ... but a nice buy ...pics would be helpful

4. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

I agree with you Rabi, it is in Bad condition. The Fender strat 2nd hand would normally cost more than 20K in India. As of now I dont have that much cash with me. So I thought of getting this up and refurbishing it. Fret 9 to 12 buzzing is also a big concern because that where most of my playing goes. Normally I'd have ignored this guitar but just because it's Fender and I can pick it up cheap, it's causing my head to slightly spin. Please suggest your rates in INR. I am not sure if a direct USD or GBP to INR would be correct 'cos you just dont get anything here at the direct USD equivalent.

5. rabi_sultan

like you said im not in india so i'm not the one to ask. But if we consider that in the UK its 350 brand new and in India its 20k brand new then i would not pay more than a third for it. So around 9.5k MAXIMUM. Though try get it for 5-7k haha! How much does the seller know about guitars?

having said this you said the neck isn't warped and that the body looks fine. The two single coils are apparantly ok as are the tuning keys. As for how rust would affect pickups, unfortunately im not really a "gear" person so I won't know as to how bad it can affect it.

On the Seymour Duncan Shahrukh is right it COULD be a loose wire, in fact considering the level of rust this guitar could have spent time in a damp environment so its possible that a bit of resoldering can do the trick, you won't know this until you screw the cover plates off. Also what is the condition of the metal plate on the reverse of the body? Is that very rusty? Are the tuning heads rusty? And the fret bars?

Another thing, how long can you stall the seller in the sale?

6. rabi_sultan

As for the bridge it fortunately doesn't cost too much maybe around £30-50 I'm guessing. This would be the entire bridge, saddles and the reverse section (the springs etc).

e-Bay shows this
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42455&item=7310691654&rd=1
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42455&item=7311857148&rd=1

as for the pickups another Seymour Duncan sounds like bad news. prepare to spend around £80 - HOWEVER you may get one cheaper !!
    http://musical-instruments.listings...binZtQQsocdpfcatZ22670QQsocmdZListingItemList

7. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

1. Hmmm, 1998 and rusted bridge? My jap strat is from 87 and the brigde has no sign of rust. Get hold of a American strat brigde, they are really good.

2. Dont mind the scratches and chips, just lower the price a little :p:

3. Get it check by a pro.

4. Get rid of the Duncan(sell it!) and get some better pickups, Lace sensors are great! blue/silver/red and all three hot gold are really good choices.

5. Thats a great thing!

And dont worry, Strats are great! ;)

8. rabi_sultan

actually heard mixed reviews of the lace sensor pickups compared to the single coil texas special pickups by fender. check it out

9. ninad77

ninad77 New Member

Anand Call Me when u get the time .... Might be able to help on this one
    Ninad