Buying an electric guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by maverick8218, Nov 2, 2004.

1. maverick8218

maverick8218 New Member

Guys, I am thinking of buying an electric guitar pretty soon. I need to know what are the parameters that should be tested before buying the guitar. I have a computer at home, And i think I can use it as an amplifier for the guitar. Or should I buy Amps instead of using the comp as an amplifier? Please suggest me some brands which are around the 7K range. and shops in pune where I can buy the electric guitar.

2. Gretsch

Gretsch New Member

You can plug your guitar straight into a computer???? I somehow doubt it. Even if you could, I strongly recommend you get an amp - the sound quality would be like comparing chalk and cheese.

As for the the parameters, it is largely a case of each to their own. Some people will say hollow bodies are good some say solid bodies are better. As for pickupssom like Humbuckers, some single-coil. Sriously, and I know ho vague this is but it really depends on the style of music you like to play and the guitar you're comfortable with.

Best thing to do is try a heap of guitars out and see which one(s) feels right to you.

As for brands in that price range, sorry but I can't help because i don't fully know what is avaliable in India.

3. plz buy an amplifier....even a 10watts will do.....
    for 7ks hmmm...can u add 1000 or 2000 more??
    thn u can go for korean ones which will be better...
    i had got a givson gs lead-2 ....for 7000 bucks..from westbengal...a while back..
    and personally i think its the probably the only "ok" electric guitar of indian make..
    anyway as gretsch said try out all the guitars in that price range in the store and dont be embarassed..get what feels right for u...try the amp also at the same time ..so ull know what kind of sound ur getting..
    check all the pickups...the intonation..the volume knob ,the tone knob..
    dont leave a single thing..string action and fret board...
    ask the guy what wood the is guitar made of....
    cheers and all the best...
    and wait for some one to post more on this thread..
    dont be too hasty

4. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

When I bought my first elec, I used to plug it into my music system, it worked just fine. If you have a music system that has a Karaoke input or just an external mic socket, you can plug ur guitar into it for now, if you don't want to invest in an amp right now. Later when you save up money and learn more about amps you can get a good one.

5. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

@gretsch...my guit goes into my comp..belive me DO get sound which is comparable to some good amps..
    7K hmm....th only guitar i can think of is korean made Java guitar...(some southeast asian coutry...not sure if its korea).....its a really good guitar for that price..
    has a strat shape and a tremolo arm......
    u could get a Marshall mg10cd which is 10W with builtin overdrive.....comes for around 5-6 k..if u spend like some 3K more u could get a MG30DFX which has digital efx....so bye bye processor(not really!)...
    but yeah u gonna have to try like a billion guitars b4 u buy one..
    but can tellu one thing....the javas are much much better than squiers...

6. maverick8218

maverick8218 New Member

Gretsch, As for the music I play, it's mostly rock and may be a little bit of metal. As far as plugging it into my comp is concerned, I have a good sound system with a soundmax on-board soundcard and a creative 4.1 speakers, I have tested it out with a semi-electric guitar and the sound quality's not all that bad. One of the shops out here in pune told me that, I'd get a jackson guitar at around 7K, but havent tested the guitar yet. Are the jacksons good ?

7. for metal jacksons are gr8 ..though i dont know abt the lower end guitars .....
    tell me which model and ill try to check it out on the web...

8. Gretsch

Gretsch New Member

Saurabh, thanks for the education lesson as, evidently, I was not aware computers had TRS input ports. Thanks. You learn something new everyday.

Maverick, Jacksons aren't too bad. I haven't had much experience playing them though but the one I did play was not too bad. It wasn't particularly my cup of tea but it wasn't a bad guitar. There again it comes down to individual taste. As for your music taste, I'd probably go for a solid-body guitar with Humbuckers. Best thing to do is play it and see how it feels.

9. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

@mav.....if u want to know abt jacksons ask jay.....he has one of those.....he has a jackson kelly....
    @gretsch u have to use those dump jacks to conevert the 1 inch pns to 1/2 inch ones..but other than that.its sweet. :D:)

10. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

@ Mave - Jacksons RULE...

11. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

u want something arnd 7k? get a catalogue n pricelist from furtados, mumbai..i think they start from 9k..u can get an epiphone stratocaster for arnd 9k but without a floyd rose..with it it would be 14k. the guitar is good..if you ask me..for the price.

and surely u can use your pc ..but i suggest you go for an amp..with built-in effects if you can..

12. varun_khandare

varun_khandare New Member

shops in pune

hi mav

there's a shop in the basement of clover center in camp which has some good stuff but is slightly expensive.there's another one on east street.you can check out those for an electric.

13. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

id suggest to try and raise ur budget a bit - are u only interested in new guitars - if not - u can buy my old yam from me - ill sell for 10k - sorry every1 - i have to get rid of it and i will advertise it to avery1 buying a guitar - @mave - tis a really good deal - its got 4/5 years left on the warranty and it retails for about 18.5k - so ur getting it at almost half price- awesome sound and feel - no doubts about it - if ur only into new guitars - go for a java if thats ur limit - maybe even a jackson or a samick might come in that range....

14. ninad77

ninad77 New Member

Jackosn

Jackson in 7 K ?? I doubt it my friend but incase its true let me know from where ??

Ninad :rockon:

15. neologik

neologik New Member

hey u can connect ur guitar to the comp n also get all the effects like dist, trem, vib, overdriven, wah-wah plus some filters to reduce noise and static n u'll get a decent sound plus ull be able to directly record stuff in digital format.
    just get this software guitar fx-box.
    i play metal too, mostly lead, and it sounds decent (higher end amps are better no doubt) but if u are low on budget buy the best guitar in ur budget n use the comp fr the time being

16. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

any one from Pak.
    can tell me abt Guitar prices

well i believe that most of CHINESE stuff coming here....

17. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

@ninad - the guy who started this thread- dont remember who right now - said he found some1 ready to sell him for that much

18. saurabh10487

saurabh10487 New Member

gr8 work man

19. swizzy

swizzy New Member

Yea! you can plug into the computer's mike jack, u'll have to crank up the volume to 100%, only then it'll give u some audible voice... but as u said, the quality sucks...

20. radicalz_adi

radicalz_adi New Member

pagal ho sathiyaa gaye ho jackson 7k....now ud say we can get a merc for 10lacs