Buying an elec..plz help

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by metalhead, Jun 19, 2007.

1. metalhead

metalhead New Member

Hi Guys, I have decided to buy an elec within few days. this is my first elec so i am kinda apprehensive. I have tried out few makes and models like Ibanez, fender squire, jackson, ESP.

i am mostly into rock and metal, i have a budget of 30K for both axe and amp. please help me with the make and model. Regards.

2. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Try the JAcksons RR3 Randy Rhoads Model with Proper Seymour duncan Pickups...Its for 32K....Its awesome man.....except the A-shape of the body...I found it very difficult to place it on the lap and play.....m actually planin to buy one of those.......Coz many of my friends assured me bout the shape....they said its just a matter of gettin used to the shape.......
    Try out Ibanez Models...RG series as well.....they have got good reviews ....

3. metalhead

metalhead New Member

Dude, isnt that bit outta my budget? moreover i am not sure if i want flying V.
    RG series..that is something i was thinking about. RG350DX was quoted 26K by OnStage guy here in new delhi. i am wondering if there is any other brand which has better build low end guitars.

4. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

Do you need a floating trem? Don't buy a guitar with a floating trem unless u need it. Try the RG321MH for about 17k. very good axe for the price. you can use the rest of the money to buy a decent amp or processor.

5. metalhead

metalhead New Member

yes i want trem arm. i know the problem related of sustain but i would like to have trem anyway. frankly! this is my first elec and i am not sure what all features i want. i hope you understand. :)

6. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

If you're still new to electric guitars why not try a hard tail? They're easy to maintain, and you can see if you actually do use a trem much (or at all).

The issue is that the bridges on guitars in our ( ;) ) budget aren't of really very great quality.

7. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Try the ESP M 200 FM. Its for 26 K down at SB Music Mumbai. I am sure you can bargain. The reason I said this because, I once played one when I was working in a guitar shop, and its Licensed Foyd Rose was nothing like I had ever seen in that price. But the sound was a bit thin, because of the agathis body.

I personally am going for the MH 250 for 29K. Dunno about what amps you get here, but I have always had a bit of of soft spot for Laneys.

8. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

Floating trems are kind of a bitch to maintain. esp for beginners. and I wouldn't advise a beginner to go for a non locking trem, since they're not really that great at holding tuning. The best option would be to go for a hard tail if you're not sure that you really are going to use the trem or not.

If you do go in for a guitar with a floating trem, it will be some sort of a licensed floyd, and those that are within you budget, even if you do get a good one, will wear out in an year or so of regular usage. So choose wisely.

9. thehundredthone

Aren't all those ESP's agathis? I dunno if you'll like to play anything much on those. I sometimes get angry with mahogany because I can't get the bright strat tone out of it.

10. metalhead

metalhead New Member

hmmmm, ok.. if i go with hardtail bridge, which guitar would you suggest then. i didnt see many guitar whc didnt have trem arm. i will check out RG321MH which Nouman011 suggested.

Thanks guys.

11. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Ya those are agathis. Kind of thin sound tone wood. What I dun understand is how can they label them FM if they are agathis?

A strat tone comprises of a SC pickup with alder body(ash on higher ends). Mahogony is dark heavy wood. Combined with Humbuckers they wont give you the strat tone, right?

12. thehundredthone

^ I know about the tones of woods ;) and that's what I mean. Sometimes we have different tones we want to cover, and one guitar can't do them all. If anything, agathis won't give you most of the tones you may want.

BTW my humbuckers can be coil split because instead of tone pots I have a gradual coil split. Pretty sucky though, they should have put in push-pull pots for the splitting and retained the tone pots.

13. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

I am looking at the Ibanez SA 220 Fm too pretty nice

14. thehundredthone

^ The one with the flamed maple top? Should sound better than the agathis I think. Anywhere that you can try these before you buy?

15. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

I am in Sikkim now, so maybe when they come to Kolkata(if that is)

16. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

It'll just be a maple veneer. Not a real top. on all the FM and QM models. There's nothing wrong with that tho. I somehow feel there's something wrong with agathis tho.

@ thehundredthone, try wiring it over again. maybe tallkien can hook u up with a push pull pot?

17. thehundredthone

@nouman11: Once I get a little money, I intend to. But I first need to purchase an amp. :eek::

18. PbR

PbR New Member

Hi,

Check out the Godins at Audiomedia Inc. Chennai, (or call them).
    Exit 22 is ~20k..

19. metalhead

metalhead New Member

I stay in N Delhi, i would prefer if you guys can suggest brand and model in that price range.

20. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

try out pacificas, washburns(100thone can give u more details about them) etc.