Buying a pedal, need help - budget 350 $

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by MetalCore, Sep 16, 2005.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Distortion: Check out Line6 Uber Metal. This has got a lot of gain and is a modelled distortion unlike Analog Distortion pedals. You can get a variety of sounds and this pedal is getting pretty popular these day. Not recommended for purists, otherwise it's a great pedal. Digitech Metal Master is also a pretty decent one. You can get sounds from Hard Rock to Thrash / Death Metal. Death Metal distortion doesn't have a GAIN knob and not versatail. If you can buy separate distortion pedals for each genre, then you can add this to your set of Distortions otherwise pick out a one that is versatile.

Delay: My favourite ones are Maxon AD9 and Ibanez AD9 Delays. These are bit expensive. At the lower ones I really Rocktron Short Timer Digital Delay. I dont like Boss DD Delays but there are countless artists who play them and there are plenty of fans of that pedal too. I call DD Delays are no life Robotic Delays. That's purely my opinion. Same with Digitech Delays. Boss and Digitech Delays have more features but Ibanez AD9 or Rocktron Short Timer will beat it hollow sound wise.

Wah: Most Wahs from Dunlop and Vox are good. Since you are total Metal player at least as I understand, you dont require the Vintage sweep of these pedals. You could rather get some real noise free and much more comfortable Wah pedals. Ibanez Weeping Demon is an excellent and versatail pedal. Morley Bad Horsie are also pretty good things. I used to own a Bad Horsie and it's pretty noise free and well constructed switchless Wah. But with the weeping Demon and Morley dont expect to play Voodoo Chile or White Room. It's good for newer stuffs. If you are a vintage wah sound fan, then look at Budda Bud Wah, George Dennis Wah and RMC. I will be getting a Budda Bud Wah or a RMC Wah soon. These pedals have great sweep but noisy. The sweep is kinda excess for newer Metal playing.

Overdrive: Tube Screamer, Proco RAT are decent ones. MY favourite is Toadworks Death Rattle II. It's an amazing pedal with a terrific tone. Before AMT I was about to order this but unfortunately was not in stock.

2. jekyll

jekyll Banned

:annoyed:
    though i am not a purist, i got the clips from the website ... seriously its sound was not thick ...

b.t.w. i am right now checking out Rob Keeley modded MT-2 ... it sounds god like ...

to me the most imp thing in a dist pedal is Bass ... it should kick ass ...
    treble is secondary - since increasing the gain anyway leads to high treble ... and more than that makes it sound like frying - not too keen on that
    and obviously enuff mids to deliver the punch ...

hey ron, does that Keeley guy send the merchandise to India (i mean have u bought anything from there + any feedbacks)

3. ronnieanand

I got my Boss BD2 modded by him. His service is good and fast. He is a very friendly guy and gives you good suggestions on your setup and sound. He was one of persons I consulted before I bought my Ernie Ball Volume Pedal. He basically tries to remove some high end harshness of the treble and also modifies for better bass response. Essentially the basic sound of the pedal still remains the same. He rectifies a few of which what he considers are mistakes in the pedal or maybe like improvements. I was never a fan of MT2. I have heard both Analogman and Keeley modded MT2 and I always felt they suck :annoyed: .

Anyway Keeley ships to India. In his website it says $10 but he advices you to take another option where the shipping is $25 or $30. This way the pedal reaches you for sure.

4. jekyll

jekyll Banned

k thanx ron ...

one more thing ...

u have had both the fatal tube as well as the california sound right?
    can u explain their sounds? ... i mean the difference

i really wann move beyond the Korg now, am looking for all the diff dist pedals ...

5. ronnieanand

I have both Fatal Tube and California Sound.

Fatal Tube has a great control basically with Level, Bass, Treble, Contour, Drive and Gain. Since there is a separate drive and gain, you can just increase compression and sustain but increasing the drive and still with a smoother clipping by decreasing the gain. With the contour you can go from total Sweep Mid thingy to heavy middy tone. You can also do some tweak to get a late 70s kinda vintage tone. The treble can be adjusted for real cutting through lead work with sounding harsh. Has a nice punchy bass.

California sound is a very middy pedal. Has plenty of the low mids and there's no way of cutting them out. There's only Level, Gain, Bass and Treble knobs. There's no way to get a real Heavy Metal sound because of high level of mids. Has a bit of sweetness to itself because of the mids. The bass is punchy and highs are kinda okay but Fatal Tube kinda wins here. The pedal is a bit noisy at high gain settings. The inbuilt cabinet simulator is kind done really well. So it sounds huge as compared to Fatal Tube when played through small amps.

Both the pedals give excellent feedbacks and harmonics.

I keep only one of them in the pedal board. Since both the pedals have cabinet simulators, keeping them in series kinda disturbs the clarity and also colors the tone to my disliking.

I guess all the AMT pedals are better through Solid State Amps. I played through a Tube Amp and I didn't like it much. Boss BD2 sounds better with Tube Amps.